autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Boat Detailing Products

Hello fellow AG'ers!

Last year I did about 10 boat details and this year I'm wanting to ramp it up to 30-40, so I'm looking for advice on new products. Automotive products work nicely, but if I'm going to be doing that much volume I feel like I can do better/faster work with products geared more towards boats.

Products I'm looking for:

1. Heavy compounds
    2. Wool pads
    3. Algae/mold removers

What do you guys recommend? Looking especially for advice from guys that detail a lot of boats but anything would be useful!

Thanks a lot!
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Mike Phillips

Re: Boat Detailing Products

You probably already know this Mark but for those reading this that don't, we have a marine detailing forum.

Marine31Online.com

As for a heavy cut compound, the Marine 31 heavy cut compound cuts fast and finishes out nice.

Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner

Say goodbye to dull, faded, chalky gel coat!
    Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner is the solution for chalky, heavily oxidized gel coat surfaces – standard and painted. Advanced diminishing abrasives quickly remove oxidation while lubricating oils ensure a long buffing cycle and easy wipe off. Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner will restore the shine and luster to the most neglected boats.

Not all marine-specific compounds and oxidation removers are created equal! Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner was developed and fine-tuned right here in south Florida, one of the most popular states for boating enthusiasts. Florida is called the sunshine state for good reason, so it was imperative that Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner be easy to use, even in direct sunlight.

The secret to the immense leveling ability of Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner lies in its advanced abrasive technology. Marine 31 pioneered a gel coat specific diminishing abrasive that quickly and effortlessly removes heavy oxidation, scratches and chalkiness without scouring or hazing the finish. Years of neglect will disappear right before your eyes, revealing a glossy finish worthy of a brand-new boat.

Unlike a traditional heavy cut marine compound, Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner is exceptionally easy to use, even in humid climates. You’ll quickly appreciate its long buffing cycle and easy wipe off. Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner can be applied by hand, circular polisher or dual action orbital polisher.

Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner is harbor safe and eco-friendly.

Directions:

1.Shake well before using and ensure surface is cool to the touch.

2.Apply an “X” of product directly onto heavy cutting foam or wool pad and spread product over a 2’ by 2’ area.

3.Circular polisher: Set speed between 1200 and 1800 RPM. Random Orbital polisher: Set speed between 6000 and 7000 OPM.

4.Practice a slow arm movement while applying medium pressure. Work product until it starts to turn clear.

5.Remove residue with a clean, dry microfiber towel.

For best results, follow up with Marine 31 Gel Coat Gloss & Color Restorer to further refine the surface and maximize gloss.

On Marine 31.com

Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner - 16 oz.

Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner - 32 oz.

Made in USA

Mike Phillips

We just featured these two new products on Ship Shape TV,

Mildew Remover

Mildew Guard

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike! Might be time to take some Marine 31 stuff to a real world test.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

I did a 35 footer last season. Even though the boat was only 2 years old, it sat an entire year at the dealership outside.

I used orange pads with some yellow cutting pads and Marine 31 polish, and spray wax.

For lightly oxidized paint i used M105/205 with yellow/white pads and that worked great!

I had one issue with hard water marks on the side of the boat where the outlet is for the runoff. Nothing would remove it, but i used some CLR (per boat owner recommendation) and it came right off.
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

Post Thanks / Like

For heavy oxidation I use 3M Super Duty compound. That stuff is heavy heavy cut. Works great for severe oxidation removal.

I've never used the marine 31 products so I can't attest to those but 3M products work pretty well for marine.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone ever tried the Duragloss Marine products?

Post Thanks / Like

^No, but I have used Meguiars boat products on my boat and it made the white pop brilliant white. Got rid of all the discoloration in it. I used Meguiars 44 to do it, and I just bought some more Meguiars 44 and Meguiars Flagship Boat Wax from AutoGeek, along with some more foam pads for my PC. Going to hit the boat next week hard for its pre-season detail!
    2012 Toyota Camry SE | 2013 Toyota RAV4 Limited

Post Thanks / Like

No to the Duragloss here, i've only used the Marine 31 since it's sold on AG.
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

Post Thanks / Like

If you plan on doing lots of boats I would buy product by 5 gallons at a time. I like aqua buff 1000 and 2000. I never have to skimp on product. Paint it on buff it off. For dirty non skid and rust Bar Keepers Freind.I always spray Crab shell in all jambs cubbies after cleaning them. It's a real good mold inhibitor. I would also look into TSP for very oxidized hulls. The website Hulltruth has alot of good info on products. Anything related to boats double in price so do your research on products used in real world situations.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast