autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceriglass,carpro rayon glass pad and rotary = swirled scratches

Yesterday I tried ceriglass,a carpro rayon pad with a rotary on the drivers window of my Silverado to remove very etched water spots. It removed a lot of the water spots but now the window is covered in swirled fine scratches. I used a lot of DI water during the process but I'm not sure what I did wrong. From what I've read the pads I used shouldn't do this.
    Have I ruined my window or is there a foam pad I can use with the ceriglass to remove the scratches?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceriglass,carpro rayon glass pad and rotary = swirled scratches

Unfortunately, I've heard that many are having the same problem with those pads. I wouldn't have recommended such an aggressive combo to remove waterspots. I've only over needed medium-heavy cut foam and glass polish to remove waterspots. Your going to have to spend some time using a medium or fine polish to level out the scratches but you should be able to smooth out the glass again. I would also recommend using a DA polisher instead of a rotary.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just02896 View Post
    Unfortunately, I've heard that many are having the same problem with those pads. I wouldn't have recommended such an aggressive combo to remove waterspots. I've only over needed medium-heavy cut foam and glass polish to remove waterspots. Your going to have to spend some time using a medium or fine polish to level out the scratches but you should be able to smooth out the glass again. I would also recommend using a DA polisher instead of a rotary.
    Thanks for the advice but are you saying I can use the ceriglass with a medium or fine polish pad to fix it?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

What compound did you use with the pads?

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Just02896;1053309]Unfortunately, I've heard that many are having the same problem with those pads./QUOTE]

Really? This is the first post like this I've seen regarding these products.

I'd like to help the OP figure out what is going on here. First off, you have to make sure you are working on GLASS on not some type of coating on the glass. Secondly, It sounds like you are saying the combo put swirls in the glass - not that they were there and it didn't fix them.

Assuming that is the case, do you have a DA? I'm confident you can correct this glass with a DA and the CarPro Glass Pads and CerriGlass. In fact, I've only done it with a DA - never a rotary.

Foam pads will not fix glass, nor will polishes designed for paint.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

swanicyouth - it's definitely just glass and your right the combo put the swirls in the glass

I don't have a DA polisher, l was hoping a foam pad with ceriglass could correct it (the ceriglass doing the correction).

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=swanicyouth;1053348]
    Unfortunately, I've heard that many are having the same problem with those pads./QUOTE]

Really? This is the first post like this I've seen regarding these products.

I'd like to help the OP figure out what is going on here. First off, you have to make sure you are working on GLASS on not some type of coating on the glass. Secondly, It sounds like you are saying the combo put swirls in the glass - not that they were there and it didn't fix them.

Assuming that is the case, do you have a DA? I'm confident you can correct this glass with a DA and the CarPro Glass Pads and CerriGlass. In fact, I've only done it with a DA - never a rotary.

Foam pads will not fix glass, nor will polishes designed for paint.
    The most recent post was a gentleman with a Hyundai who attempted to polish his windshield and ended up with scratches all over. I'll attempt to search out the thread.

As far as foam on glass and the usage of paint polishes, I've had very good results removing waterspots with them.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Just02896;1053364]
    Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post

The most recent post was a gentleman with a Hyundai who attempted to polish his windshield and ended up with scratches all over. I'll attempt to search out the thread.
    I searched as well but couldn't find it. The way I've done it is with a GG6 running wide open with a lot of downward force and a lot of DI water keeping the polish wet. If you don't end up with a big mess, you may not have done it right - as wet polish will fling everywhere. It has to stay wet - I can't emphasize that enough. Eventually you will dilute out the polish with water to the point it almost looks like your polishing with water. That's OK. That's when it's time to clean the glass and re-inspect.

I just can't speak on doing it with a rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=swanicyouth;1053374]

I searched as well but couldn't find it. The way I've done it is with a GG6 running wide open with a lot of downward force and a lot of DI water keeping the polish wet. If you don't end up with a big mess, you may not have done it right - as wet polish will fling everywhere. It has to stay wet - I can't emphasize that enough. Eventually you will dilute out the polish with water to the point it almost looks like your polishing with water. That's OK. That's when it's time to clean the glass and re-inspect.

I just can't speak on doing it with a rotary.
    I found the thread but the OP of that thread was using LC glass pads and not the ones OP of this thread is using. My mistake! :-(

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...polishing.html

Post Thanks / Like

My technique is similar to swanic. Ceriglass on griots glass pads on flex 3401.

Keep water spray bottle nearby and dont let glass dry. Works very well at deep etchings that steel wool and paint compounds cant get out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast