autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Newb that needs to polish...

Well, Now that I've been reading up on detailing for the past two weeks, schooling myself on waxing, proper washing etc... I quickly saw today after a quick car wash that I'll have polishing in my future.

In good old Canada, there's no way getting around a snow brush in the winter months. So... Now we've got plenty of "spider web" scratches on the black metallic paint, I have two questions:

1) is there any way to protect my paint against snow brush, or ice scratching my paint each and every winter? Can a good sealant and wax combo protect it for 5 straight months?

2) what polish and pad combo is best for this? After a solid wash, I'll clay it.... Then...

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm already planning on a PC 7424xp. I've been doing plenty of reading on chemical guys, and have seen Meguiars 105/205 on a few videos... but just having to do plenty of reading on everything else.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newb that needs to polish...-image-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a snow broom type tool (by Hoppy) with a foam head. I don't get any scratches. But, I don't let it touch the paint, either. I just glide it over the snow and sort of take it off in layers.

No coating, sealant, or wax will protect paint from scratches from something dragging on unclean paint.

If it was me , I would skip the PC and get a Griots 6". It's more powerful and comes with a better warranty (lifetime) and a useable 6" BP. But that's just me.

As for polishes, I'd stay away from M-Whatever and CG's polishes. But again, that is just me. I think polishes by WG and Optimum are more user friendly.

You won't know what specific combo works for sure until you try to polish it and see.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newb that needs to polish...

We're shoveling sunshine down here in Tampa today, 75 and beautiful
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    We're shoveling sunshine down here in Tampa today, 75 and beautiful
    Oh, now that's just cruel!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

I really need to get a handle on what all the different pads do. The two big foam pad players seem to be hex logic and LC. Any preferences between the two... and why?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Photecs View Post
    I really need to get a handle on what all the different pads do. The two big foam pad players seem to be hex logic and LC. Any preferences between the two... and why?
    If your going to be working with a DA the I will highly recommned and 5.5" pads of anything larger. The smaller pads make buffing more effective and make cutting and polishing more effective than a larger pad.

The hex logic are made by the Buff n' Shine company and LC is made by well LC. I will say that both make great pads so you cant go wrong with either. I am not sure if you ca get the hex logic pads in the 5.5" size or not. Most here erither get the LC flat pads or the CCS. I addtionally like the hydrotech line from LC as well.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    If your going to be working with a DA the I will highly recommned and 5.5" pads of anything larger. The smaller pads make buffing more effective and make cutting and polishing more effective than a larger pad.

The hex logic are made by the Buff n' Shine company and LC is made by well LC. I will say that both make great pads so you cant go wrong with either. I am not sure if you ca get the hex logic pads in the 5.5" size or not. Most here erither get the LC flat pads or the CCS. I addtionally like the hydrotech line from LC as well.
    Yes, hex do come in a 5.5" size... and that is what i'm planning on getting for sure.
    Its just confusing - as I know a lot of this process is "try a test spot, see for best results.." but I really don't want to spend $500 on pads, when $200 really is all I need to get what I need for my specific job. I've heard of people say "get the white and Menzerna 400", others say "no way, gotta get 400 and orange for a good cut, then come back with white and 4000".

I'm planning on doing a two step... and think that for the spider webbing I have going on, the 2500 and orange, then a 4000 follow up with black/white is the way i'll go.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're looking for products to learn on, I'd recommend Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish. As a combo they should cover most situations pretty well. They are easy to use and are pretty dummy-proof.

You don't mention what type of car you're working on, but I've used this combo on both a Subaru and Toyota with great success. On the Toyota, I was able to correct some pretty nasty dealer installed swirls with just the Polish and a polishing pad.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I'm working on a Black 2013 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T. That's the hood in the above photo....
    After posting this thread, I've come across the Pinnacle XMT line - and swirl remover #3 and the 360 bottles. Wondering how this would be using a PC versus the menzerna line... a little less aggressive? Would it work on the spider webs I have in my paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Oh, now that's just cruel!
    And that was just tooooo funny!
    Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast