autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New to the game...

Ok boys n' girls... new member to Autogeek - seems like a good place to start.
    Bought my first new vehicle last year, and took it to a buddy that owns a detailing shop to have it clayed and waxed. Not sure of the products he uses, and i'm not going to ask him, as i'm going to start doing my own detailing as of this spring - don't want to hurt his feelings!

Over this past weekend, I spent at least 5 hours watching videos on detailing - from the "junkman 2000" and the "chemical guys" videos. I think the two combined did a very good job explaining how things work, and some do's and dont's.

With that said... I'm now looking for answers and opinions!!! This is where I'd appreciate any input. I'm going to copy and paste an email I sent to Chemical Guys yesterday, so I don't have to re-type the questions I have etc.
    Not that i'm stuck on Chemical guys, but they seem to know what they're talking about, and it also seems they make a pretty decent product.

Please read below - and let's start talking!!!
    PS: I'm going to be picking up a PC 7424xp in the next couple months when spring gets here...

***** email to chem guys ******

I have a few questions for you about a couple of your products.... So I'd appreciate the help!

I have a 1 year old Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T, and it's black. Had it waxed at a shop last year, but have always enjoyed detailing my own vehicle in the driveway growing up... Now that I have my first brand new car, I want to take of it on my own from here on out.

First off, I know I should start with a wash that will remove any waxes that have been left on the car, then clay bar if needed (as this was also done last year at the shop prior to wax).

Now that the SFS would be prepped, here's where the questions come in. If I have near perfect paint, but wanted to take out light swirls, would I go with V38 and a black hex pad? (Using a PC)
    If not, then what...

Then after the polishing is done, and I've taken a microfibre towel to wipe it down... Are we ready to wax, or is there a step I'm missing like a spray of some kind?

Now.... Waxes. I'm tossing between the Pete's 53 and butter wet wax. Both go on easy enough... But what's the difference in protection? I'm sure one is better.. But one of my main questions is how long can I go between waxes?

I was going to apply and remove the wax with the PC and hex pads, but in all your videos, you're applying them by hand with foam pads and removing them by hand with microfibre towels... I guess that's the best?
    I live in southern Ontario, and have to deal with 5 months of minus temps, and salt and junk hitting the car... So keep that in mind. I'm thinking once in April, then again before winter hits in October? Or more often...?

Then from that point on, I'm pretty sold on a foam cannon and mr pink....

I'm poised to spend a few hundred on your site in about a month so I'm ready to go in the spring.. Just want to be informed.

Thanks a lot! Spent about 4-5 hours watching your videos today... Still more to learn!

Mike Phillips

Re: New to the game...

Quote Originally Posted by Photecs View Post

Welcome to the AGO forum...

I'm going to copy and paste an email I sent to Chemical Guys yesterday, so I don't have to re-type the questions I have etc.

What kind of answers did you get?

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome. Have you looked at this? Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides

AG has a YouTube channel also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to autogeek

Post Thanks / Like
    You can always call AutoGeek and order from them. They always have sales. (Not sure the specifics since your in Ontario however)

They'll give you advice and offer other products that you could try. Plus they have BOGO items on sale all the time.

I really like the Menzerna products if you want to look into something else. Meguiar's is always good all around to.

Well good luck on your journey and

Mike Phillips

Bought my first new vehicle last year

Here's an article I wrote for people that have bought a new car and want to detail it. The article walks you through each step you want to do in the correct order and there are embedded video throughout plus links to more topical articles related to the current topic being discussed.

Take a few minutes to read through the article. Watch the videos and then when you're ready, substitute the products you've chosen where appropriate.

How To Detail Your Brand New Car by Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Welcome to the AGO forum...

What kind of answers did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Here's an article I wrote for people that have bought a new car and want to detail it. The article walks you through each step you want to do in the correct order and there are embedded video throughout plus links to more topical articles related to the current topic being discussed.

Take a few minutes to read through the article. Watch the videos and then when you're ready, substitute the products you've chosen where appropriate.

How To Detail Your Brand New Car by Mike Phillips

Wow guys... fantastic! 30 mintues, and 5 responses already... love this forum already.

As far as answers back from Chem Guys... nothing yet. That email was sent last night around 8pm eastern - so i'm hoping to hear back by tomorrow...

Thanks for the link on "how to detail your brand new car"... i'll be sure to look at it tonight.
    From what i've read/watched over this past couple days of doing some heavy homework on this topic, lots of people do favour Meguiar's products. Also, I understand there's the consumer grade, detailing grade then the professional grade. I'd be sure to hunt down the middle/high end products - trying to get away from the OTC stuff, want a higher end product.

I take pride in my vehicle - always want it looking it's best, and I still want it to shine as much as it is now after 6-7 years of driving it.

Thanks... keep those comments coming!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you can go wrong with Megs consumer Ultimate line. It has everything you need from interior to exterior and nice prices. The thing with those products is they will give you fantastic results, without the price and effort some other products have.

I use two different products at home. I use Megs Ultimate like for all of my wifes Santa Fe, it doesn't look like it now as it site outside all the time and is her DD in Wyoming, and I use Wolfgang exterior products with mostly Megs Ultimate line on the interior on my ST. My ST gets to sleep in the garage, but is my DD and sits outside at work.
    I guess what I am saying is don't discount the Ultimate line just becase it isn't in the tan bottles the professional line comes in.
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast