autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Does this make sense?

So I'm up here in N.E. and anyone up here knows how hard it can be to keep up on paint maintenance. Fortunately I do have a self wash bay nearby as well as a touchless wash. I noticed that the touchless doesn't do great by itself to remove the road salt and other winter crud, so I started using the coin op with high pressure soap to cut the heavy stuff and then I drive around to the entrance and go through the touchless. My question (finally...) is this: Any reason for not using a waterless wash to get it really clean and then a rinseless wash with wax like Pinnacle Liquid Chrystal with Carnuba for winter protection ( temp. permitting, of course) Since I usually clay/wax 2-3 times a year I thought this would be decent protection during the winter months. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does this make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Supergus1 View Post
    So I'm up here in N.E. and anyone up here knows how hard it can be to keep up on paint maintenance. Fortunately I do have a self wash bay nearby as well as a touchless wash. I noticed that the touchless doesn't do great by itself to remove the road salt and other winter crud, so I started using the coin op with high pressure soap to cut the heavy stuff and then I drive around to the entrance and go through the touchless. My question (finally...) is this: Any reason for not using a waterless wash to get it really clean and then a rinseless wash with wax like Pinnacle Liquid Chrystal with Carnuba for winter protection ( temp. permitting, of course) Since I usually clay/wax 2-3 times a year I thought this would be decent protection during the winter months. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    IMO, I say you are wasting your money doing hand held then touchless. Neither is going to remove all the grime (alone or combined). Do one or the other to get the gritty stuff off and then follow with a rinseless wash to get rid of the film left behind.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdmaccord View Post
    IMO, I say you are wasting your money doing hand held then touchless. Neither is going to remove all the grime (alone or combined). Do one or the other to get the gritty stuff off and then follow with a rinseless wash to get rid of the film left behind.
    +1
    This is what I do in the winter. I take it to a self-serve bay on my way home and "air dry" as I'm driving the rest of the way home. When I get home, I put my car in the warm garage and do a waterless or rinseless.
    Waxin' Willys Detailing
    Like us on Facebook!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I am convinced that the High Pressure Soap at the coin-up near me has the ability to significantly diminish the durability of my Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant.

I only use the High Pressure Rinse now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdmaccord View Post
    Going to have to agree. I know it's better to be safe but save that money for more products.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I just wasn't sure how "clean" the paint should be before using the washless so I was being cautious by doing touchless and hand held.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I just wasn't sure how "clean" the paint should be before using the washless so I was being cautious by doing touchless and hand held.
    You basically just want the "hard stuff" off. Chunks of mud, salt, dirt, etc. The high pressure sprayer will take care of that for you, I wouldn't even bother with the soap. Just do a couple good passes with the water.
    Waxin' Willys Detailing
    Like us on Facebook!

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

FYI.....the soap in those places are harsh and will pretty much cut through any wax/sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what you mean by "washless"? do you mean "waterless"? I would recommend a rinseless over a waterless. Waterless is more for a clean car that is maybe a little dusty. My opinion of course...I prefer to stick to rinseless since it is easy enough (plus I have Hondas with soft paint).
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

I bring all of my stuff with me to the coin op. I just use the pressure washer there, the owner looks at me like i'm crazy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast