autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiar's 105/205 or their Mf cc/finishing polish?

For a newbie, stay away from MF pads w/ compounds. This combination tends to leave tick marks and heavy micro-marring on softer paints, which can be difficult to remove.

If you compound, use FG400 and a light cutting foam pad. This will still give you the necessary cut, but will be much easier to finish down.

Post Thanks / Like

Hard paint? You're golden with MF pads.

Quote Originally Posted by The Critic View Post
    For a newbie, stay away from MF pads w/ compounds. This combination tends to leave tick marks and heavy micro-marring on softer paints, which can be difficult to remove.
    This is a very good point. Marring can be very difficult to remove on soft paint.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Just go with the DAMF System.
    It comes with everything you'll need to do the job right.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Meguiar's 105/205 or their Mf cc/finishing polish?

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    Make it easy on your self get Menz FG400 very easy to work with and I get great results it and MF pads.
    One of my favorite 50/50 shots I've seen. The results speak volumes for what can be achieved with just FG400 and MF cutting disc.

I'd like to add that while I've achieved similar results with this combo, I have also found using a MF Finishing disc and Menz SF4000 can correct defects, swirls, and finish LSP ready on softer paint. I decided to try this very combo on the side of a prius and was very surprised and happy with the flawless results. (the side doors had been resprayed with additional clear that was much softer than the rest of the car)

With all of our experiences with said products, what vehicle(s) will you be working on? This could help us in steering you in a better direction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for the input. If it makes a difference. I have a white 2010 grand cherokee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sully6541 View Post
    Thank you all for the input. If it makes a difference. I have a white 2010 grand cherokee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paint color doesnt affect the polish/compound you use. However the final wax/sealant you use will. I recommend you select a wax/sealant that caters to lighter paints.

With that said, you will acieve the best results with the Meguiars MF cutting discs with D300, and followed up by M205. That is again, if your paint needs that level of correction. MF discs cut quite a bit. Like others have stated, you might just need a little FG400 and a foam pad. Like you I also use a GG6. Meguiars MF pads cut heavy defects like butter, especially the new Xtra cut pads.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

If you need a cutting compound, instead of 105, just get 101 then 205. The problems that 105 has, 101 doesn't and works for a fairly long time. Also, ANY newbie (or pro for that matter) should have both Megs Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish in their carts. Both work literally FOR-friggin-EVER and have excellent results.

I also agree that the MF Correction system is first rate, albeit now they have not just 2, but 3 solutions to work with. You have the correction compound (D300) the polish (D302) that didn't come out with the "system" when it was first introduced, and the finishing wax D301. D302 was introduced to address those situations where micromarring was happening and provide a fine finishing polish that fits between the correction compound and the finishing wax (which actually has a bit of cut to it).
    The KEY TO WORKING WITH MICROFIBER PADS HOWEVER is to have at least a small air compressor. Clean the pads with air after EACH and EVERY section pass. This'll remove spent product, abraded paint, fluff your pads back up perfectly AND help to cool the pads! Just keep an eye on pad heat buildup. You'll not feel it on the face of the pad, you'll feel it on the BACK of the pad where it meets the backing plate. In fact, Mequiar's Engineers have gone to great lengths to design their backing plates where they work with the Velcro on the pads and hold better, thus they don't generated as much heat as a pad/backing plate combination from another manufacturer. Once the pad gets warm to the touch, (when you pull it off and touch it to the back of your hand, or to your cheek (which is more sensitive) PULL IT OFF and let it cool. Grab another pad and keep working.

If you do it that way you can get a vehicle done with half as many MF pads as you'd use foam pads.

I've not had a chance to use my new D302 microfiber polish yet but LOVE the other two! Generally though you'll cut with the MF pad and say D300, then move to 205 and a white or blue pad and finish down your paint.

Post Thanks / Like

This are one step with D300 & MF cutting pad. IMHO no need for an extra step on a daily driver. If the swirl marks are really bad then M205 or MezernaSF 4000 recommended above will be a follow step. Make simple if you just starting bro!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Meguiar's 105/205 or their Mf cc/finishing polish?-img_0682-jpg   Meguiar's 105/205 or their Mf cc/finishing polish?-img_0683-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pikiki View Post
    This are one step with D300 & MF cutting pad. IMHO no need for an extra step on a daily driver. If the swirl marks are really bad then M205 or MezernaSF 4000 recommended above will be a follow step. Make simple if you just starting bro!!!

+1 I agree

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven't uploaded any photos yet to the forum storage..... however..... speaking of D300. Tried something new over the weekend with Car-Mamma's new Duetto. Used the Rupes yellow pad and D300 to work on a THRASHED 2013 Camry Hybrid. She used a 4" orange constant pressure LC pad on the bumpers and rockers. Then moved to the yellow Rupes on the rest. Came out AWESOME! Only thing that was gone back over was the hood and tops of the fenders. After all, the customer looks at that all the time, right? While he wasn't paying for a 2-step, we decided to throw that part in. What the heck, we'd already wet sanded the right rear quarter panel because it was so trashed. Anyhow, hit the hood with a Rupes white pad on the Duetto and Menz SF4000, ohhhhh MAMA!

I still think D300 is a real close relation to 151, just without the wax. In fact, were it not for having to coat this one, I would have told her to go with 151. Just didn't want to have to try and strip it all off to get the coating to bond.

Was most impressed with the Rupes yellow pad as well. More impressed with the pad than the machine actually. (I feel hate mail coming now.)

Trying to compare the Duetto to the GG6 is like a 6.2 liter snarling NASCAR V8 with torque that'd pull anything, anywhere, any time, shaking the ground beneath it everywhere it goes! Don't have to worry about bogging down, head speed stopping, or even SLOWING for that matter, or having to run it wide open to get where you're going. No matter HOW much downward pressure you put on it. But you KNOW you have it in your hands. Your HANDS know you have it, your knuckles know you have it, and by extension, your arms know you at least 'had' it. Maybe for hours afterwards.

Where the Duetto is more like a 4.5 liter V10. It'll wind and wind and wind, making a much different, albeit higher pitched noise along the way. It at least in our garage is not at all one bit quieter than the GG6, just higher pitched, MUCH higher pitched. (Bothered Car-Momma's ears more right off the bat.) Perhaps I'll take some SPL measurements and do a mini-review in the upcoming weeks.

One thing for sure; It DOES NOT snarl, doesn't even come close to just keeping on pulling like the big V8 beast. It'll stop and bog down if you're not constantly right on top of where you're at, and where it's at. If it's not perfectly balanced it'll stop spinning, it really likes things nice and level. It takes finesse to keep it happy, having to keep it in the right gear to keep the (rather limited) torque band in force. Which means you'll be running it almost, if not completely wide open from day one. But it rewards that attention with a much gentler time on your hands, fingers, wrists... and your arms actually don't even worry about it all. (None of this even goes to address how much lighter it is, which is a BIG plus.)

Would I get rid of a GG6 for a Duetto? Not in MY lifetime, or Car-Momma's for that matter. Would I, after trying the Duetto as a bigger machine feel that the smaller version would work for a 4" machine? Not unless it's identical in all aspects except the backing plate. If it's any smaller, (power wise) it'll frustrate you to no end trying to keep it wound up.

Much easier to hold on to those old GG6's and put to multiple uses by putting multiple backing plates on them, EPECIALLY when you think about how you're going to get tricky bumpers and rocker panels done.

OTOH, D300 freaking ROCKS!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast