autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Single-stage white paint question

Will all single-stage paint, even if “showroom new condition” show color on your pad and wiping towel if you use a light abrasive polish, or does the paint have to be oxidized first and in fairly weathered condition, before color transfer will begin to show up?

And/or does it require a fairly coarse abrasive before it will show up, or even a light polish will cause color transfer to your polishing pads and wiping towel?

Is there anything special about white single stage that might call for a different answer to those questions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Single-stage white paint question

Depends what you call "Light?

My RAV is Black, single stage paint, no clear coat.
    Even using a white pad and Meguiar's Ultra Fine Polish I'll still see some paint transfer, very light but all the same I do see it even when the paint is flawless, not talking about only one panel, I'm talking three or four panels.
    Now I'm talking about using pressure, maybe if you only use light pressure you may not see any paint transfer.
    By hand I don't think you'd see any white on your pad beside the polish itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, all single stage paint will transfer color to your pad, regardless of age, shine, depth, color.

The pigment is on/in the uppermost layers, and not protected by anything (clearcoat).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SR99 View Post
    Will all single-stage paint, even if “showroom new condition” show color on your pad and wiping towel if you use a light abrasive polish, or does the paint have to be oxidized first and in fairly weathered condition, before color transfer will begin to show up?

And/or does it require a fairly coarse abrasive before it will show up, or even a light polish will cause color transfer to your polishing pads and wiping towel?

Is there anything special about white single stage that might call for a different answer to those questions?

The only quirkiness I can possibly see is:
    When a "White" SS paint system oxidizes, this oxidation (just as it will also be with other SS-colors) will consist of it having a chalky white appearance...

This white chalkiness {"dead paint" } will transfer to compounding/polishing pads before any other "White" paint.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

So the reason I ask...funny story...a couple days ago I read an AG thread that said all Toyota white paint is single stage. I thought, huh? what?

I have a 14 year old white Toyota, and I don't ever recall seeing color transfer. That "all Toyota white paint is single stage" comment was news to me, which is pretty funny after having a vehicle for 14 years

Here are a couple pics of the paint condition (these are from about 9 months ago, but still looks the same):

and I've never done more than a light polish, but thinking back, I may have always used a white pad. But you'd think I'd have seen some color in the wiping towel.

So I just went and did a small test spot, using Prima Swirl which is a medium cut, a blue foam pad by hand, and a dark green MF towel. No white paint color transfer.

So that's why I was wondering if the paint had to undergo some chemical change/oxidation first, before the color would transfer. So I don't know what to think?

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same truck and it does in fact have single stage paint. I don't usually see any white paint transfer on the pads either for some reason. In the past, I have experienced the white, chalky appearance due to oxidation though.

BTW, that looks to be in great shape, mine only has 42,000 miles on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SR99 View Post
    I have a 14 year old white Toyota, and I don't ever recall seeing color transfer. That "all Toyota white paint is single stage" comment was news to me, which is pretty funny after having a vehicle for 14 years

So I don't know what to think?
    Is this a 2000 truck?...What is the paint code?
    (Driver's side door jamb...C/TR xxx/yyy)

Bob
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bob, it's called natural white, code 056. As far as I know, that's the only white that was available, and I also think all 2000's were made in Indiana so you wouldn't think there'd be variation due to different manufacturing plants.

But I still can't get the paint transfer test that is always recommended to check for 1-stage paint, to positively confirm it. So I guess that's not a 100% reliable test. Of course, if you look it up on the internet you get some people saying it is and some saying it isn't (but that's par for the course). Far more people say it is s-s though.

PS, thanks for confirming, 02whitetundra.

Post Thanks / Like

You could try this...

Phone
    800-331-4331
    M-F 5:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. PT
    Sat 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. PT

Bob
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    You could try this...

Phone
    800-331-4331
    M-F 5:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. PT
    Sat 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. PT

Bob
    Thanks Bob. I generally don't bother with customer service calls, since most of the time the person on the other end just reads answers from a script of common questions, and that's the extent of what they know. But since you went to the trouble of posting the phone number, I felt obligated to call.

To my surprise, they connected me to someone who knew the answer. So it's official: Toyota confirmed that it's single-stage, no clearcoat.

Now if only I understood the lack of color transfer. If anyone has any thoughts on that, even if you're just guessing, I'd like to hear them since I'm stumped. I always had the impression (without knowing I actually had single stage paint for the past 14 years ) that with S-S paint you got color transfer with even the lightest abrasive polish. Anyway, it seems a safe bet that if I used at least a medium polish and pad that I'm going to get some color transfer eventually. Maybe it's just extremely hard (it does seem very resistant to scratches).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast