autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Need some recommendations for maintining a recently fully corrected black Acura TSX

Long time lurker here.... Last week I had my beloved 2009 Acura TSX in crystal black pearl (shimmers between jet black and a super dark blue with tons of metallic flake) fully corrected including wet sanding of the hood and roof from severe water etching and a 2 stage polish with Adams Polishes/Shine Supply using a Rupes (not sure of the exact model) and Flex 3401 and finally topped off with the PBL paint nano coating. I have a great friendly relationship with the detailer that did the work and chose to have him give me a perfect blank slate to maintain as I learn this craft of ours.

I have all of the basic supplies ordered or sitting here at home (2 buckets with grit guards, shampoo, Dodo wookie fist and other soft mits, Daytona wheel brush, several super soft waffle weave drying towels as well as Rinseless Wash tools to maintain on the days I can't do a full 2 bucket traditional wash). I've bought and read (watched) Mikes detailing guide on my iPad and apprenticed with the detailer as far as proper wash/dry techniques so I'm confident in my ability to basic wash/dry. 6-12 months from now I'd like to try my hand at a (hopefully) minor correction to keep it looking perfect. What specific polishers/pads/product would you recommend to a learning novice? My priorities would be ease of use (nothing frustrates like not feeling like you're making progress) and easy maintenance. I'm fairly certain I want to stick with a nano coating as the car sits outside most days and is exposed to the Alabama heat.

FYI: this is the same metallic black paint Honda/Acura has used for 10-15 years or so. It's generally regarded as fairly soft.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need some recommendations for maintining a recently fully corrected black Acura TSX-image-jpg  
    Last edited by Cammyfive; 01-31-2014 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Spelling

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need some recommendations for maintining a recently fully corrected black Acura TSX

50-50 before and after of the left rear door
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need some recommendations for maintining a recently fully corrected black Acura TSX-image-jpg  

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need some recommendations for maintining a recently fully corrected black Acura TSX

The finished product.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Great pic of the metallic flake doing it's thing.

Post Thanks / Like

First things first: Black IS a part-time job.

Best thing you can do is come to terms with the fact that that paint is NOT going to stay looking like that forever. Normal driving will create swirls. Washing it will create swirls; in fact, anytime you touch the paint you will create swirls. It is just the nature of the beast.

Now that that's out of the way, you can keep it looking pretty close and then polish it out with something very light once or twice a year to keep it as close to perfect as possible. Being that it's soft, it will make the part-time job more difficult. All that said, most of the "new" swirls should generally be extremely light for the most part and the only time you'll see them is in the full sun.

I, along with many others here at AG are in the same boat as you. Black is the best color when it's perfect in a lot of people's opinion, including mine. I'm currently wondering if even a cleaner wax will remedy the light swirls if done once a month. I haven't tested that theorem out yet, maybe someone else has.

Supposedly some coatings offer decent scratch resistance, but I'm not the one to ask as I have no experience with them.

Just brace yourself, because minor swirls are inevitable.
    Thank you Autogeekers!

Post Thanks / Like

1.Meguires 105 on an orbital with orange pad- this may not be necess as you say it is corrected....
    2. Meguires 205 on same with green pad
    3. Car pro eraser to wipe down
    4. Cquartz UK -twice in 6 hours
    5. Car pro Reload an hour later and then every 2 months or so

Show black who's boss......
    Glen -

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies! I've accepted the fact that just driving that car on a daily basis and even careful washing will introduce light swirls. My hope is that I can keep them light and correct them without pulling my hair out.

Based upon my reading, I like the new Cyclo 5 combined with a VERY light cutting pad or a glazing pad in conjunction with something like WG Finishing Glaze 3.0 and topping back with PBL Paint Coating.
    2009 Acura TSX 6MT - Crystal Black Pearl/Ebony Leather