autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Detail pricing help needed.

Hi ag, recently, I have been able to get 1 full detail on a jeep grand cherokee, 1 exterior on a jeep grand cherokee and 1 exterior on a jeep cherokee (smaller grand cherokee/new model).

On the full detail I said free as its a close friend,I dont know if he would pay me at all-its fine if he does not

On the other Grand Cherokee I said 225 for a similar process

On the jeep cherokee I agreed for 75 as I dont exactly know the person that well, but we spoke more when I was alot younger, he just wanted wash, clay,wash and cleaning tires and rims.

Is my price low for the 225 dollar grand cherokee detail?, I would be doing just an exterior detail, with no correction fluid which I feel would be a good price.

Would these prices be too low? On the second jeep I would probably spend 6 hours
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it too low to you? That's all that really matters IMO. If you're OK with it, then its good.

For me on the exterior only with no correction, usually runs about $130. Wash, clay, iron-x, wheels, tires, and a sealant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detail pricing help needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ken tuep View Post
    Is it too low to you? That's all that really matters IMO. If you're OK with it, then its good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online
    The second jeep that I mentioned seems a bit high, but I feel its fair as there will probably be 6 hours of work, the other two I will see what happens, I feel 75 is fair as its a practically brand new cuv. Im not really concerned about the 1st jeep grand cherokee as its a close friend
    Bill 1234

Post Thanks / Like
    for wash clay wax I usually charge between 100-120 depending on vehicle side. Why are you washing again after claying? For 75 dollars I would skip the second wash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goldendodo19 View Post
    for wash clay wax I usually charge between 100-120 depending on vehicle side. Why are you washing again after claying? For 75 dollars I would skip the second wash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Im not washing again after claying, to clarify, on all vehicles, I would wash with a foam gun, leaf blower dry, then clay and then move on to wax
    Bill 1234

Post Thanks / Like

So are you not putting a sealant or anything on the Cherokee? I would say your in the ballpark on that one if your not doing a sealant or anything. The Grand Cherokee I think you are a bit high on your price, but that is just me. Are you figuring your prices out off an hourly rate, or just picking a number off the top of your head. I figured most of my pricing out off a $30/hr rate for starting out, and you should have a pretty good idea how much time it will take you to do different things.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you thought about checking with other detailers in your area to see what they charge for their services? I can say in our area, $225 would be a challenge for just an exterior job. Most of the time $125-$150 is the living end of a wash, clay, one-step, vac, windows, and wheels.

I realize that not every detail is equal, so I have adapted an hourly rate type of pricing. For example, if I know a job is going take around 6 hours, I would quote around $120. $20 an hour for generalized detailing is about the going rate in our area. If I were doing specialized services like paint correction, a special sealant, carpet extracting/steam, etc... I would quote a little more per hour. How I try to make money is to be as effecient as possible and hustle so the 6 hour job might not take the whole 6 hours. Of course, I don't want the finished product to be comprimised either. I also don't try to over estimate time... quote 8 hours for a 6 hour job. Another detailer might be bidding on the job, or your friend will remember that it only took you a half a day for a job that you said would take all day.

Try to price so that you are paid fairly but will get repeat customers as well as referrals. Best wishes.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW.. full detail for FREE on a Grand Cherokee?! Lucky friend!

Post Thanks / Like

Man
    I don't get much detail
    but I charge $200 for wash and wax
    Cleaning of Interior and exterior.
    No polishing done.
    Most of the time the cars are pretty filthy.
    After all only we the car crazy people care.

so interior will get vacuumed, shampoo to remove stains and odors.

I'm a one man show. Just for what I described aabove takes me more than 6 hours +

Super Member Scott@IncrediblyDetailed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bill,

1. Write out your process and number each step.

2. Estimate how much time it will take.

3. Think about how much you want to make per hour.

4. Then, multiply your estimated time by your desired hourly wage. If that total is something you are willing to work for and your client is willing to pay then I would say it's a good price.

Before you start detailing for money I would write down the services you will offer along with the price for each. Also, search the AGO forum because other people have asked similar questions and you'll find a lot of great answers in those threads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast