autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Glass resin filler, any way to repair the repair?

I have a new to us vehicle that had a glass crack filled in the window with resin. The type of repair they do with a vacuum hooked up to suck out the air and fill the crack with resin.

I've had this procedure done before and it was ably noticeable, maybe a tiny glare or two when the light catches it just right, but not worth troubling over.

Now, on the vehicle in question this particular repair is bad. I've never seen a job done this poorly. The fill is visually warped like looking through a marble, it has a significant hump over the exterior of the windshield, and you can see the outline of the suction plate on the windshield glass, like the repairman put a dirty nozzle with wet resin right on the glass and left it there.

Anybody run into something like this and have a good fix for it?

I'm wondering what exactly the resin is made of and whether or not it's softer than the actual glass. It would be awesome if it could be attacked with a compounding or wetsanding step to even it out without actually cutting into the glass.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Glass resin filler, any way to repair the repair?

You might want to try leveling the overfilled area with a razor blade and then polish out any excess that remained above the surface of the windshield.

Post Thanks / Like

Just turn it in to insurance and let them cover a new replacement under comprehensive. It shouldn't affect your rates. Honestly it isn't worth even trying to repair.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rwright View Post
    Just turn it in to insurance and let them cover a new replacement under comprehensive. It shouldn't affect your rates. Honestly it isn't worth even trying to repair.
    That's an option in play, but I have heard horror stories of windshield replacements not sealing as well as the original, so I'd like to try a fix first unless it's not a fixable problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rwright View Post
    The damage occurred before the car was purchased so the insurance company won't be responsible for the repair. Virtually all auto and homeowner policies are written on an occurrence basis so the damage has to occur within the policy period. In this case, the damage occurred prior to the policy being written so the current owner can't collect from his insurance company.