autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Questions for you mobile guys...

If you're mobile and travel to your clients' homes to do work, how do you get around the sun? Meaning, do you work in the sun? Work in their garage? Bring a tent?

Another question..

How on Earth do you manage to do even a 1-step polish in some of the time frames of seen listed on various members' websites? Let's say you offer a 1-step and that a client needs to have only 2-3 hours available? I just don't understand how you could get a one step done that fast, not even considering the need to wash, clay, taking care of wheels and wells and an lsp? How do you do it? With so many intricate areas on virtually every vehicle, areas that I presume often need to be done by hand which requires a lot of time, do you just not worry so much about those areas or what?

One other random questions I have (trying to kill as many birds with one stone)...

Is there a very safe brush available to buy on this site that I can use to get around emblems and in cracks and crevices? Something that won't scratch?

What's a good AIO that I can use by hand? My car gets water spots extremely easily and they come right out with po85rd and a black pad with my Flex, but I don't always want to bust that out.

Thanks!
    Thank you Autogeekers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Big white pop up tent..
    Can't answer #2
    Wooly 3 pack at detailers domain
    Optimum policy seal!!! Or xmt360

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    1. I don't get around the sun. 90% of the time I work directly in it. Tons of stuff out there is very sun friendly and it is the best lighting possible.

2. Lots of people will likely disagree with me on this, but there is a huge difference between a 1 step polish and a one step correction. Most paint you see on daily drivers won't get even mildly corrected without compound and a lot of time, but can be made to look much better with a very small amount of polishing. Make sure your clients know the difference, and make sure you are pricing yourself for what you do. A one step correction can take -+8 hours, a one step polish can be done in 45 minutes and still make a big difference.

3. For prepping the vehicle, use rinse less wash and nano prep towels or sponges. Huge time saver.

4. HD Speed or Optimum GPS are both great AIO polishes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions for you mobile guys...

Quote Originally Posted by VP Mark View Post
    1. I don't get around the sun. 90% of the time I work directly in it. Tons of stuff out there is very sun friendly and it is the best lighting possible.

2. Lots of people will likely disagree with me on this, but there is a huge difference between a 1 step polish and a one step correction. Most paint you see on daily drivers won't get even mildly corrected without compound and a lot of time, but can be made to look much better with a very small amount of polishing. Make sure your clients know the difference, and make sure you are pricing yourself for what you do. A one step correction can take -+8 hours, a one step polish can be done in 45 minutes and still make a big difference.

3. For prepping the vehicle, use rinse less wash and nano prep towels or sponges. Huge time saver.

:iagree with mark polishing and paint correction are two different things. I only offer paint correction and won't do just a quick polish. If your really doing paint correction there is no way your getting it done in less than 6-8 hrs and doing it right. Some of my 1 steps have taken 10hrs on soft paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    1 step correction for me would be using an AIO product. Correcting as much as possible and laying down some protection as well. Here you can up sell a longer protection.

I'm not sure what a 1 step polish would be other than just correcting as much as possible as well. Probably not an AIO product, so you would have to go back and lay down some protection. I don't see either one faster, they seem identical to me. OP I would also stick to a very simple service menu, pick your market and stick to it. We can't please everyone and trying to would only lead us to more work for less money. Also pepboys, carries a decent canopy for less than $100.

Sent with my Note 2, from Planet Namek.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StuDLei View Post
    If you're mobile and travel to your clients' homes to do work, how do you get around the sun? Meaning, do you work in the sun? Work in their garage? Bring a tent?

Another question..

How on Earth do you manage to do even a 1-step polish in some of the time frames of seen listed on various members' websites? Let's say you offer a 1-step and that a client needs to have only 2-3 hours available? I just don't understand how you could get a one step done that fast, not even considering the need to wash, clay, taking care of wheels and wells and an lsp? How do you do it? With so many intricate areas on virtually every vehicle, areas that I presume often need to be done by hand which requires a lot of time, do you just not worry so much about those areas or what?

One other random questions I have (trying to kill as many birds with one stone)...

Is there a very safe brush available to buy on this site that I can use to get around emblems and in cracks and crevices? Something that won't scratch?

What's a good AIO that I can use by hand? My car gets water spots extremely easily and they come right out with po85rd and a black pad with my Flex, but I don't always want to bust that out.

Thanks!
    1. Easy pop up tent. 12x12 generally covers most of the car. I bring two just in case. Takes about 30 seconds to pop up.

2. Over time you get much better with time management and efficient cleaning methods. Useful tools like nanoskin mitts and towels really save time. Along with GDM or ONR rinseless methods. I got my prep work down to 45-60 minutes which allows 2 hours for a single step. Generally I use an AIO for single steps or an easy to apply sealant to save time.

3. Use a high quality natural hair brush with no force and a good degreaser. Although this is listed for interiors, it looks like it will work well.
    Interior Concours Brush

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply Mark.

I just want to say that I am not in business; it's something I've thought about.

I checked out your website tonight, actually I've seen it in the past as well. I like to check pros' websites just to get a feeling for how everybody does business, what sort of packages they offer, and what they're charging. Your prices seem pretty low to me. Do you find that you're earning a fair compensation given for what you're putting into it? I've seen other guys on here with one steps that start at $400+. Anyways, please don't take that personally; I'm just curious. Everyone around here seems to claim that you need to be bringing in revenues of close to $50/hr for it to be worthwhile.

Your site is beautiful.
    Thank you Autogeekers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StuDLei View Post
    Thanks for the reply Mark.

I just want to say that I am not in business; it's something I've thought about.

I checked out your website tonight, actually I've seen it in the past as well. I like to check pros' websites just to get a feeling for how everybody does business, what sort of packages they offer, and what they're charging. Your prices seem pretty low to me. Do you find that you're earning a fair compensation given for what you're putting into it? I've seen other guys on here with one steps that start at $400+. Anyways, please don't take that personally; I'm just curious. Everyone around here seems to claim that you need to be bringing in revenues of close to $50/hr for it to be worthwhile.

Your site is beautiful.
    Naa, nothing personal at all in that question.

1. I'm a low cost operator. Am totally mobile except during winter I work at home.
    2. I'm in an extremely small market. I charge double or more most local shops.
    3. I charge what the market can bare. I raise my prices yearly as I get more well known.
    4. I'm in a really low cost area. I make a good living for my region.

If I lived in the areas some of the guys on here live, I can completely understand needing to make $50+ an hour to make it and live well. That's just not me. Also, I make great profits from add-on services.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

When I was mobile (have a shop now).

1: Pop up tent with sides if possible to help with low sun depending upon the time of day. A tarp works in a pinch for a side wall and some good clamps.

2: Depending upon your level of skill, tools used, type of paint, etc will vary the time of a 1 step polish. As Mark said there is a difference between paint correction and paint polishing. You also have to know who your customer is. Some of my customers want the car polished and then in a week they will bring it through a tunnel car wash and ruin whatever work I've done. I always try to ask how they maintain the vehicle and educate them as much as I can. My typical 1 step polish where i'm not coating it I'll do a good polish on it but not focus on removing as much of the defects as possible. Most looking to clean up the paint and add gloss. then top with an LSP normally Opti-seal. I will normally spend no more than 2 hours on this. using a mild polish and cutting pad to get decent cut and nice gloss.

If I'm coating a vehicle and the customer is only willing to pay for a 1 step correction, then I will do multiple test spots find the best combo for that paint and do my 1 step correction. Striving for the best correction possible. These take me any where from 4-6 hours depending upon the paint and size of the car. My customers are always informed that with this some defects will remain since I'm not compounding etc. My typical coating job (by myself) takes me approx 8 hours from start to finish. Average about 45-60 for wash, decon, dry, and taping emblems, trim, etc. As you do this more and more your process gets faster and you shave off time.

3: Raceglaze brushes are very nice and are soft enough to not scratch most paints. I have one dedicated to only paint.

4: For an AIO I like Optimum GPS or HD Speed.

Post Thanks / Like

Naa, nothing personal at all in that question.

1. I'm a low cost operator. Am totally mobile except during winter I work at home.
    2. I'm in an extremely small market. I charge double or more most local shops.
    3. I charge what the market can bare. I raise my prices yearly as I get more well known.
    4. I'm in a really low cost area. I make a good living for my region.

If I lived in the areas some of the guys on here live, I can completely understand needing to make $50+ an hour to make it and live well. That's just not me. Also, I make great profits from add-on services.
    Thanks for the info Mark. It's pretty much what I guessed when I saw that you were in the So. Illinois region. Not a very large market that I'm aware of and probably a low cost of living… Hey I live in the midwest too. That's awesome that you are able to make it work.
    Thank you Autogeekers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast