autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

OptiCoat 2.0 Failure

Guys,

I coated a vehicle with OC 2.0 back on 10/23/13.

This particular vehicle, a 350z, sits outside 24/7. During today's wash, I noticed that water was no longer sheeting from certain sections of the hood and trunk lid. The vertical sections are still decent, but not as strong as I expected.

I tried to clay the vehicle using the Nanoskin mitt, but this only provided a slight improvement.

The prep process for this vehicle 350z is as follows: 1) final polish using HD Polish, 2) vehicle was sprayed down with Optimum Power Clean 1:1, then agitated/rinsed, 3) IPA wipe.

My only finding so far that may have contributed to the failure, is that I wiped the high-spots after 1-2 minutes. On my personal car, which I followed the exact same prep process, I allowed the coating to sit for 4-5 minutes before leveling the high spots. The beading on personal car is still very strong after 4 months.

So, I am inclined to believe that wiping the high spots before the 5 min mark may have an adverse effect on the success of the coating.

Does anyone have any other experiences they can share? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have some experience with OC failure & OC success. What I've found is it's best to use Optimum polishes and an IPA wipe down. That is what Optimum recommends. I've also found it's a good idea to apply the OC, and then once it flashes and looks good - to apply another coat for complete coverage. Don't try to be the guy who coats his whole car with 3cc - apply it as liberally as possible without getting high spots, then gently buff down any high spots.

I think the best applicator is the Optimum Dual Pro applicator. It absorbs very little of the coating, so it all ends up on the paint - not in the sponge.

The beading should remain quite intense. If the beading goes limp, something isn't right. I coated this in August and it's still going strong.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: OptiCoat 2.0 Failure

On the Optimum forum they discuss the polishing process before coating and claim that no IPA wipe down is needed when using only their products. A new Primer is offered for the OCP now.On my Optimum coatings both OC 2.0 and Pro , I have used Eraser with no customer complaints. On cars sitting outside 24/7 I have had customers return questioning the loss of beading but after a maintenance wash of Power Clean the beading returned.

Post Thanks / Like

i am having the same problem with one of my cars that had opti coat put on in june. The beading is pretty much gone and when rinsed it reacts like a car with nothing on it, i was reading about it online and was thinking about using IRONX Soap followed by iron x to try to "rejuvenate" it. Any feedback on that idea? What did you dilute the power clean to? In a foam cannon?

Quote Originally Posted by 2old2change View Post
    On the Optimum forum they discuss the polishing process before coating and claim that no IPA wipe down is needed when using only their products. A new Primer is offered for the OCP now.On my Optimum coatings both OC 2.0 and Pro , I have used Eraser with no customer complaints. On cars sitting outside 24/7 I have had customers return questioning the loss of beading but after a maintenance wash of Power Clean the beading returned.

Post Thanks / Like

I have Iron-X but have never tried Iron-X soap. Iron-x will not harm the coating but I have found the Opt PC to do the trick for me.I use a trigger sprayer on the Power Clean at 4:1.

Post Thanks / Like

Try IronX, a Dawn Wash, a spray car wax, or a quick detailer.

Post Thanks / Like

OptiCoat 2.0 Failure

Quote Originally Posted by 2old2change View Post

From Optimum's site:

Post Thanks / Like

why not just do a coat of reload or Hydro 2 on top? Those were made to help solve this problem

Post Thanks / Like

If the coating truly is failing, reload or Hydro aren't going to actually fix the problem. They are just going to coat the surface.

There is a possibility that the coating has failed in some locations. Especially if you have already done all of the possible cleaning tricks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    From Optimum's site:

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:20 AM
    Time to update and clarify this post. With Opti-coat pro, it now comes with a dedicatd primer polish, and all that should be done is to remove the polish residue and apply, or ONR wash if you wish. When using the primer polish an IPA wipedown is actually counter productive. The Primer polish leaves behind a residue that acts as a catylist for OCpro. If you are using 2.0 the prefered method is to polish with Hyper polish, dry or ONR wipe and apply. Both the Hyper polish and OCP Primer polish clean teh paint of oils etc left behind from previous opperations.

Also fro the Optimum forum.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast