autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New White Car! What should i buy?

Hey guys!

I'm waiting for my new Merc A Class and i thought it would be cool to do a little research on what items i should get to protect it and make it look really cool, even more than it is

The color of the car is White, what do you recommend for the exterior? Something that will make it really shinny.

I don't mind spending some extra $$ if the product really worths it, i'm all about quality...

For example i had a look at the Desire Wax from Autofinesse

What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New White Car! What should i buy?

For a new car?

Do you have a polisher?

IF so I would recommend telling them NOT TO WASH IT OR ANYTHING ELSE......

IF they do then likely it will be full of swirls, scratches and holograms that will be a lot more work to correct......

Once you get it home wash it and polish it with WolfGang Finishing Glaze.

Then put on 2 coats of WolfGang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 24 hours apart.

Then for extra pop top it with Wolfgang Fuzion.

If you don't have a polisher get some Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer and go over the car by hand, then add the Deep Gloss Paint Sealant as above then the Fuzion Wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by reystar View Post
    Hey guys!

I'm waiting for my new Merc A Class and i thought it would be cool to do a little research on what items i should get to protect it and make it look really cool, even more than it is

The color of the car is White, what do you recommend for the exterior? Something that will make it really shinny.

I don't mind spending some extra $$ if the product really worths it, i'm all about quality...

For example i had a look at the Desire Wax from Autofinesse

What do you think?
    Welcome to the forum Reystar.

Good recommendation above, that if you have the option of not having the dealer do anything to the paint, or interior. Not even a wash job, if it's slightly dusty, that's OK.

There's almost as many great products as there are members here, just an unbelieveable vast array of great products.

The above poster suggested the Wolfgang line of products. As far as Wolfgang goes, the entire line-up is fantastic, you cannot go wrong with any of the products labled Wolfgang.

Their Deep Gloss Paint Sealant is truly a remarkable product, and it does produce a dripping wet ultra high gloss candy like coating to the paint.

Your options are almost limitless.

Whether you choose a Wax, a Sealant, or a High Tech Coating, that is then up to the individual. Coatings, made by a number of manufacturers should last longer than any wax or sealant. More money initially, but likely to be more economical in the long run.

If you're the type that likes regularly applying waxes, or sealants, then stick with those.
    If you don't have as much opportunity to do such, then do seriously consider a more durable Coating.

Names that quickly come to mind, would be Optimum, CarPro, Pinnacle, Detailer's Pro, and there are a number of others.

Welcome to the group.

I suggest browsing through the many lines at AG's Store, and to read many of the How To's by people like Mike Phillips, our forum guru-expert.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

As has been pointed out do everything you can to get the dealer to turn the vehicle over to you without any work being done to the finish. They can take off the stickers and whatever but don't let them wash the car.

The other part of your question concerning what you can do to protect the vehicle's finish is fairly simple. First of all, white vehicles don't "pop". Mike Phillips wrote about white cars and while they can look nice, it's the dark colors that "pop".

As to what products will work best to keep your ride looking its best, the principle variable will be how often the car is exposed to the elements. Unless you're willing to wax (actually, we're talking about a good sealant here) pretty frequently, your paint is going to be exposed to a lot of rain, bird bombs and bug splats. These things will defeat all but the most recent wax job. Of course products like Optimum Car Wax provide good protection and you can apply this wax weekly or bi-weekly. And if you wash your car frequently, make sure you get a top quality car shampoo that won't strip wax. Some carwash soaps are not so good in this respect.

If this isn't a worry, then conventional wax like some mentioned above and my own paste wax favorite Finish Kare 1000P will work very well. You can top waxes like 1000P with Optimum Car Wax very easily.

Otherwise, to keep your ride maximally protected, your best bet is Opti-Coat 2.0. The feedback on this product has been almost universally positive and by all accounts isn't that difficult to apply.

Nowadays, my ride is protected almost all the time so I can relay on conventional sealants and waxes but if my ride was going to be exposed frequently to the elements, I wouldn't have a second thought about stripping the wax and using Opti-Coat 2.0 because bird bombs and such don't affect it. I'd also think about one of the protective coverings for the front of the car.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to have to say a coating on your car. Pinnacle black label, DP coating, opti-coat 2.0 and CQUARTZ some of the one's I would look into.

Post Thanks / Like

to AG

Congratulations on the new car! Like the others have stated tell your salesman NOT TO HAVE YOUR VEHICLE WASHED/PREPED! Be firm! about it because they will do it anyways. You already are going to have to do a full detail anyway and not to make it harder then it has to be!

What is your detailing back ground, how do you apply your products, Hand, Orbital, DA, Rotary?

I don't know the other products I'm a meguiars guy but I've seen there work and they know there stuff!

I agree with Houckster I have yet seen a white vehicle POP but I have seen a couple here and there that did highly impress me. You can't get deep dark reflections from white or any light colored paint but you can have a great shine and Gloss!!

What I do know rather meguiars or wolfgang or? Since you want the best for your paint you are going to have to do a thorough wash(2 bucket system w/grit gaurds) and then a good claying to remove the above surface bonded contaminants.

Next is the cleaning step, to remove below the surface. And since it's brand new I myself would just apply a AIO product(all in one) which consist of a light cleaner some polishing oils and a wax or sealant of some sort.

And last would be your LSP (last step product) your wax or sealant to lock in and protect your paint form the elements and all your hard work. Also apply 2 very thin coats of any of your favorite LSP, for even coverage and it looks better to your eyes!

What ever line of products you go with get a good understanding of there ability and the order of aggressiveness so you can keep your new ride looking it's BEST!

And the main thing to remember is always use the least aggressive product to get the job done

Post Thanks / Like

if you have a german car id get german detail products.

i use wolfgang on my bmw, very happy. wolfgang isnt the cheapest but nor is BMW,Audi, or MB......so why spend the money on one & not the other.....?

Post Thanks / Like
    On my white vehicle I like to wash it with any shampoo, then iron-x, then clay (if needed), then a polish with m205, followed by KAIO, then KSG. Then top with whatever wax you'd like. It gives great results for me.

Congratulations on the new ride. All of the suggestions above will work also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang is an excellent product line. This is after a full correction and sealant application on my 10 year old Xterra.

2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

1) Invest in a Dual Action polisher.. Griots, Meguiars , or Porter Cable. Either one will be find. I prefer the Griots because of the lifetime warranty. Also buy a 5 inch backing plate along with 5.5 inch pads. I find this is the best combination.

2)ClayBar.. I do this everytime I plan on polishing..

**I like to wipe ISoprocol or rubbing alcohol on the surface just to make sure the surface is clean..

3)Favorate Compound. You will probably used this once. And the rest for household use or Cleaning Water Spots off your windows.

3) Favorite Polish.. I use m205

4) Favorite Wax Too many too list.

If you find products you really like, try to get them in a professional size. Example Car Wash, Clay lube, Wheel cleaner..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast