autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Blot drying technique

So I have been extra careful lately because I purchased a new car and you guessed it... BLACK!

Owning the car for almost a month now, I already feel the pressure on techniques and procedures on washing and cleaning it. My previous car was white and boy was it easy, it hid swirls marks like a champ. Now, I have ultra soft black Acura paint to work with and its so fragile. I'm extra careful now on drying the car and I have a question for those who blot...

Not sure if its a new technique in drying or not, but lately I have been using a light slapping method to dry. A bit like blotting but the way I do it is I fold my Guzzler towel so it is long in length then I hold the towel from the top and lightly swing the towel onto the paint whereas the towel instantaneously sucks up up the water.

Seems like this method is a lot better then actually dragging the towel against the paint..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blot drying technique

Quote Originally Posted by jyu1210 View Post
    So I have been extra careful lately because I purchased a new car and you guessed it... BLACK!

Owning the car for almost a month now, I already feel the pressure on techniques and procedures on washing and cleaning it. My previous car was white and boy was it easy, it hid swirls marks like a champ. Now, I have ultra soft black Acura paint to work with and its so fragile. I'm extra careful now on drying the car and I have a question for those who blot...

Not sure if its a new technique in drying or not, but lately I have been using a light slapping method to dry. A bit like blotting but the way I do it is I fold my Guzzler towel so it is long in length then I hold the towel from the top and lightly swing the towel onto the paint whereas the towel instantaneously sucks up up the water.

Seems like this method is a lot better then actually dragging the towel against the paint..
    Congrats on your new Acura! If you really want to be careful, may I suggest forced air as a means to touchlessly dry your new car? It also gets the water out of all the little nooks and crannies so you don't end up with water dripping out while your polishing or applying wax or sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

I am heavily considering the Metro Master Blaster but at the moment I can't justify spending +/- $300 on it.

I understand on panels like the hood and trunk lid, you would need to lay the towel down and pat/blot it dry, but the swinging/slapping technique is used on panels like the rear bumper, doors and quarter panel, seems like it does wonders.. especially on a damp dried Cobra Guzzler! Just holding the towel on the same place and blotting the doors are a hit or miss, sometimes you might drag the towel accidentally, but swinging the towel lightly against the paint is a safer approach, in my opinion, if done carefully and lightly.

Post Thanks / Like
    What I do is let the water flow free from a hose and dry the car followed by electric leaf blower and then a towel to get the rest. I own a black is350. So I know your pain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using a backpack blower for as long as I can remember. Can't remember the last time I towel dried paint! Lol!

Post Thanks / Like

I use a combination of blow drying the side panels and 4 waffle weave mf towels on the hood, roof and trunk. I leave the towels on for 1 to 2 minutes while I take care of the windows, etc. Moving around the towels seems to push around a water film so I let the towels do the work and let them blot up the water on their own before laying them over another section of the hood or trunk. This has the added advantage of less chance of the towels causing swirls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Few tricks

- don't use a waffle weave. They might be great for holding water and absorbing, but there is ZERO pile for dirt and grime to get trapped in. A bunch of 600 or 530 towels will be much better.

- use a QD spray while drying. This will really help the water attract into the towel and lubricate the surface.

- master blaster is the best way to dry a car. With that said, you need a 20amp circuit. Even if you don't have a master blaster, a leaf blower or a shop vac will work ok too.

- blot, don't wipe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andr3wilson View Post
    Few tricks

- don't use a waffle weave. They might be great for holding water and absorbing, but there is ZERO pile for dirt and grime to get trapped in. A bunch of 600 or 530 towels will be much better.

- use a QD spray while drying. This will really help the water attract into the towel and lubricate the surface.

- master blaster is the best way to dry a car. With that said, you need a 20amp circuit. Even if you don't have a master blaster, a leaf blower or a shop vac will work ok too.

- blot, don't wipe.
    But essentially, I am just using the waffle weave to gently "slap" the paint to gobble the water.. a bit like blotting but without the longer duration of time being on the paint..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jyu1210 View Post
    But essentially, I am just using the waffle weave to gently "slap" the paint to gobble the water.. a bit like blotting but without the longer duration of time being on the paint..
    When I think of you slapping the paint with the towel, I cannot help but wonder how you ensure absolute control over the towel in order to prevent a portion of it from dragging across the paint.

Surely you cannot be so precise as to ensure that there towel only moves perpendicular to the paint, and there is no sideways movement?

It is this sideways movement that in my opinion, will, when combined with the force from your 'slapping motion' that may lead to fine scratches in the paint.

There just seems to be too much 'force' with this method and I would assume that GENTLY blotting the paint, as opposed to (somewhat) vigorously slapping the paint will be SAFER.

Perhaps the question is why wouldn't you want to gently place the towel on the paint and allow it to soak up the water? What is the advantage of the 'slapping' method?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andr3wilson View Post
    Few tricks

- blot, don't wipe.
    This.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast