autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Guidance on paint correction and Opt-Coat

We're finally getting a few upcoming days of some nice weather (70's and sunny) and want to go ahead with my planned paint correction and Opti Coat on my car. The paints in pretty good condition with some minor chips, scratches, and spider webs (bought it this past Aug and did a "new car detail" following Mike's directions. At that time, I sealed it with Blackfire Wet Diamond paint sealant. I've used Blackfire Crystal seal a couple of times since then. I changed out the wheels and tires, so already did the Opti-Coat on the wheels prior to mounting the new tires (washed, Iron-X, clay, polished with Opti Polish II, washed again, then Opt-coated them). I'm also going to fix a few paint chips with Dr. Color Chip. I'd like to get some feedback on my plan. I'm new at detailing, so just want to be sure I have all the steps down and in the right order.

1. Wash
    2. Iron-X
    3. Clay
    4. Wipe down with soft microfiber
    5. Polish with Griot's DA and tangerine LC pad with Optimum Polish II (I also have a sample bottle of Wolfgang Uber 3.0 if needed, but would prefer to stick to Optimum polish as recommended by Optimum.)
    6. Polish with blue LC pad and Optimum Finish polish.
    7. Wipe down with water
    8. Apply Dr. Color Chip and wait a day (this is where I'm iffy...is a day long enough to wait before Opti-coating? The website says to wait a week before waxing, so not sure about this.)
    then
    8. Opti-Coat

Any advice is greatly appreciated! For reference, it's my daily driver...a 2013 Honda Civic. Pic after last weeks wash:

[IMG][/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Guidance on paint correction and Opt-Coat

Everything seems to be in order except #8. If they say to wait a week, I would wait. Can you do the touch up first, wait a week and then polish and seal? This way you won't have to prep the car again. BTW your car looks great.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Guidance on paint correction and Opt-Coat

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Everything seems to be in order except #8. If they say to wait a week, I would wait. Can you do the touch up first, wait a week and then polish and seal? This way you won't have to prep the car again. BTW your car looks great.
    Thank you. I decided to call and ask the Dr. Color Chip company. I was told as long as you didn't have to apply much pressure or do a lot of wiping on/off of the product (in this case Opti-Coat), it should be fine to wait a day, and then apply with an easy touch to the touched up areas. I hope so.