autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tip For Audi Oxidized Metal Trim

Hey AG, I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays.

After searching for awhile on how to clean up the metal trim found on Audi's, I came up with tons of things people have tried without having much luck. The best solution so far was having the trim replaced under warranty if you're lucky, or paying around $1000 to have it replaced.

One of the issues I saw was a debate in what the trim material was. Some things I saw said it was bare chrome or aluminum. Mike chimed in on an earlier thread saying it was anodized. Some even said chromed plastic. I decided to figure out for sure what it was before proceeding.

After a few hours on hold and switching between branches I ended up speaking to Arne in Germany who was a senior engineer of exterior and interior trim. He explained that depending on the model, the bright work trim is either aluminum or chrome, coated with a plastic material of some sort. One of the big causes of the oxidation is chemicals commonly used in car washes here.

The solution is.... They're currently working on it. Arne told me that VW and Audi were currently developing a coating that holds up much better to chemicals and UV damage. He didn't have any tips on how to repair the already oxidized trim, but he was very helpful with the information I was searching for.

My Solution:

Here is a piece of the trim and the condition it is commonly found in:

This was the condition of the trim after washing and drying.
    I decided to try something I hadn't seen anyone try yet that is available here on AG as well as many local retailers for cheap.

I figured with the trim being coated in plastic, that maybe PlastX would help.

The 50/50 shot after PLASTX

It isn't perfect, but it is a vast improvement over what it was before. Rubbing the Plastx in small circles quickly tires your arm out. Ignore the steering wheel image from bmw sitting next to the audi

I'm happy with the outcome so far, but later this week I plan on experimenting with some of the slightly more aggressive plastic restore products on a scrap piece of trim I got from a buddy who replaced his, I'll update with the results.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tip For Audi Oxidized Metal Trim

Thank you for the information. Audi is known to have all sorts of wierd reliability problems. Ultimate compound might work here too
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
    Thank you for the information. Audi is known to have all sorts of wierd reliability problems. Ultimate compound might work here too
    I had seen pictures from other threads where people had tried using compounds to clean up the trim and ended up making it much worse. I think the coating is fairly 'soft' and hazes easily. I'll give a few compounds and polishes a shot though on my scrap piece of trim and report back later this week with the results.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shtexas View Post
    I had seen pictures from other threads where people had tried using compounds to clean up the trim and ended up making it much worse. I think the coating is fairly 'soft' and hazes easily. I'll give a few compounds and polishes a shot though on my scrap piece of trim and report back later this week with the results.
    Thanks for the info. Could car manufacturers ever go the non cheap route and use classic chrome?
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

P21S® Multi-Surface Finish Restorer- This extraordinary German car polish from P21S will bring back luster and reflective brilliance.

I would try p21s restorer. It's pretty gentle yet effective. I used to to remove water spots on my g35 trim. Also not that expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that I think about it I also used it to clean up some chrome rims I had. Definitely helped on the plastic center caps that were oxidized without damaging them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G35 View Post
    P21S® Multi-Surface Finish Restorer- This extraordinary German car polish from P21S will bring back luster and reflective brilliance.

I would try p21s restorer. It's pretty gentle yet effective. I used to to remove water spots on my g35 trim. Also not that expensive.
    I have some of this left over, I'll add it to my comparison against the other products this week. Thanks for the tip

Post Thanks / Like

I work for VW and there is a bulletin that states we are not allowed to replace moldings under warranty for this oxidation. It is caused by solutions used at automatic car washes. When I worked for BMW we had the same problem and every car owner I asked said they went to a specific car wash in our area. They must use some kind of an acid based liquid to loosen the dirt.
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by G35 View Post
    Now that I think about it I also used it to clean up some chrome rims I had. Definitely helped on the plastic center caps that were oxidized without damaging them.
    The stuff int the silver tube or the polishing soap? The stuff in the silver tube is super abrasive. I wouldn't use that on trim or paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WAXOFF View Post
    I work for VW and there is a bulletin that states we are not allowed to replace moldings under warranty for this oxidation. It is caused by solutions used at automatic car washes. When I worked for BMW we had the same problem and every car owner I asked said they went to a specific car wash in our area. They must use some kind of an acid based liquid to loosen the dirt.
    VW has been pretty strict about replacing it from what I've heard. I know they own Audi as well, but some of the more loyal customers of their $70k+ cars have been getting theirs replaced. The engineer said the automatic car washes here were causing it, especially the touchless washes. I'm guessing it's the strong alkaline presoak solutions they use.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast