autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tip For Audi Oxidized Metal Trim

Thanks for that tip. I used some cut compound one time on some Honda trim on that was badly water spotted.
    2001 JB BMW 530I
    http://www.facebook.com/thelastdetailnv
    Instagram: @thelastdetailnv

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 530inv View Post
    Thanks for that tip. I used some cut compound one time on some Honda trim on that was badly water spotted.
    No problem. Do you know if the trim was coated, or was it water spots on metal?

Post Thanks / Like

Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone have tips on BMW trim? Would this be the same thing?
    Tommy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pcw25 View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone have tips on BMW trim? Would this be the same thing?
    I just went out and tried it on my x5 trim. It helps quite a bit, but not as well as on the audi trim. I'm trying a stronger plastic polish later this week among other things and I'll update the results in this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    The stuff int the silver tube or the polishing soap? The stuff in the silver tube is super abrasive. I wouldn't use that on trim or paint.
    I've used it on chromed plastic with no issues. I wouldn't touch my paint with it. In the description on detailed image they say you can use it on metal and plastic. But to each their own. And by the way his trim looks its worth a shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip - I do a lot of Audi's and this will certainly be one to keep in mind for improving the look of the trim

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, just an update about cleaning the trim up.

I was unable to find my scrap piece of trim to test all the different polishes and approaches, so I picked a few I thought would work better.

A Few Things I Noted

Using any sort of rubbing compound is overkill for the thin plastic coating on the trim. The plastic acts similar to a very soft clearcoat, it hazes and scratches easily. For most of the hazing and spots a very mild polish is as aggressive as I would get.

I managed to remove most of the cloudiness, haze, and rainbow discoloration from the trim to a point where as an enthusiast detailer I'm satisfied, and no longer want to plastidip or vinyl wrap it. A small amount of haze is still present which I was unable to remove. It got better as I used finer polishes, but even with plastx as my final it didn't seem to be fine enough. I'm open to any suggestions of a very fine plastic polish to give a try.

Comparison Picture

Getting good pictures of the trim is difficult, it looks different from every angle it seems. You can see the difference between the two sides clearly. The left was washed, clayed, and wiped with ipa. The right side was polished first with Menz 4500, then Plastx.

Here's another shot from a different angle a little further away.

Overall I'm happy with the results. The trim looks better than most of the Audi trim I've seen around now.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I thought you did quite well and I would be happy with those results. Now, knowing it's plastic what is the protection solution? I have my ideas but interested in others.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klink10 View Post
    Well I thought you did quite well and I would be happy with those results. Now, knowing it's plastic what is the protection solution? I have my ideas but interested in others.
    I would probably use something like Sonax Polymer Net Shield or Adam's Quick Sealant, but I suppose a liquid paint sealant would work as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klink10 View Post
    Thanks, it's been quite a search to find a decent fix. For right now I'm using UTTG as a lsp. It looks good, is supposed to offer uv protection, and repels water nicely. If it doesn't hold up very well I'll probably use DG501 for its superior uv protection and durability.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast