autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question New Dark Navy Blue Car - which polish(s) ?

Hey Gang - I just got a new dark navy blue Audi S5 and wanted to pick up some polish(s).

Polish is somewhat new to me as all my cars were light color, and I mostly just used cleaners like Klasse AIO.

I know in a about 6 months I'll start to see swirls. Is there any one step polish that can remove minor swirls but still leave behind a great gloss before my LSP?

One step:

Menzerna PF 2500 - PowerFinish PO203 - looks to be a one step polish but not sure how effective it will be at "double duty".

Or should I go with a 2 step process like:

Menzerna SI 1500 - Super Intensive Polish PO83
    +
    Menzerna SF 4500 - SuperFinish PO85RD

Or are these overkill being they are diminishing abrasives, and being its a new car (that will eventually see swirls) should I go with a non-diminishing abrasive like Meguiars M205 ??

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

New Dark Navy Blue Car - which polish(s) ?

For a one-step, I have been very happy with Sonax Perfect Finish. It is a more versatile product that seems to finish well on even the softest paints. It has the ability to remove light to moderate defects on most paints, but as always, YMMV.

Some people have had luck with FG400 on a white polishing pad as a one-step. Haven't tried it myself, but Mike Phillips had a write-up on this.

For a very light finishing polish, consider Carpro reflect. It is diminishing like the SF4000 and SF4500 products, but has a shorter work time.

In the right hands, both DAT and SMAT products should produce equally good results. However, I have found that DAT products will produce more consistent results for most people. SMAT products require a very strong understanding of theory to sometimes achieve the same results.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Dark Navy Blue Car - which polish(s) ?

Thanks. I'm not familiar with DAT or SMAT products though... can you elaborate and give some brief product examples?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mdgrwl View Post
    Thanks. I'm not familiar with DAT or SMAT products though... can you elaborate and give some brief product examples?
    Here's a good explanation by Mike Phillips:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-products.html

Post Thanks / Like

Good read. Looks like a good combo is M105 & M205. M105 only if the paint is in pretty bad shape, M205 can get away with minor swirls & scratches.

Any idea how these compare to say Wolfgang's duo (trio) now? Are those SMAT or DAT?

Post Thanks / Like

New Dark Navy Blue Car - which polish(s) ?

Wolfgang stuff is Menzerna technology (afaik), so probably DAT.

DAT and SMAT do not dictate the abrasive levels - they're just different ways to skin the cat.

I think you'll be well-served by the 3 products I mentioned previously. M105 and M205 are still good products, but I think there are more modern products available today.

M205 is still a fairly versatile product, but I think M105 is a bit obsolete compared to M101 and FG400 (slightly less cut, but longer work time and better finish).

Post Thanks / Like

Post pIcs of new S5 please
    in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. Prov 3:6

Post Thanks / Like

How do you know when a diminishing polish is fully "diminished"? Is there a certain number of passes or does it let you know somehow? Sorry... never used the stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

After reading up on the Sonax & FG400, they both seem like the same things... or am I missing something there?

Also how does something like Klasse AIO fit into the process (if at all)? Use it after FG400 for a higher gloss finish, or no need and go right into the LSP?

Post Thanks / Like

Should have stayed with the LX, LOL.

No need for the Klasse AIO if you're polishing to remove swirls. That's basically a paint cleaner with some fillers to hide the swirls. In my experience, I don't know that it does any real correction, more like covering up. It does great at that, but I doubt that's what you're wanting.

What buffer are you using? That may determine what products are recommended. I'd also do a little digging to see if you can determine what type of paint is on the Audi. If it's one of the newer hard ceramic clear types, you might need more aggressive than you think to correct.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast