autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing you learned early/Still true today

What's the one you learned when you started detailing that still true today? I'll go first. I just started my serious detailing hobby this year. I started with the Klasse twins and 845. So the first thing I learned that's still true today: Spread my products THIN!

Post Thanks / Like
    But the good stuff the first time. Don't mess around with cheap stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: One thing you learned early/Still true today

How important a test spot is and how it makes detailing a car easier
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Have lots of MF towels around

Post Thanks / Like

taping off a car is an important step

Post Thanks / Like

stay away from cheapos

Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area
    @proreflection
    www.proreflection.com

Post Thanks / Like

If you have time to do it twice, you have time to do it right the first time through.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

First: What you do going in will be what you get coming out. In other words, don't cut corners! Whether for pleasure or profit it doesn't matter. Same as when you're prepping a car for paint. You can buy the most expensive paint on the planet, but if the prep work isn't great going in then the paint will reflect EXACTLY what is underneath.

Second: Expensive doesn't mean it's good.

This certainly holds true for products. Check the most regretted thread for that one. Duragloss for instance is one that most guys that know it will swear is great product, yet if you're shopping just on price you'd think "It just can't be that good." Oh but it IS!

The third thing: Is that it that the most expensive shop doesn't mean it's the best shop, whether detailing, repairing, even house painting for that matter. Price alone isn't a bellwether as to if one guy is *that much* better, (if any) than another. Doesn't have to apply ONLY to detailers. Plenty of GREAT detailers and qualified techs can be found that are not charging $100 an hour, or $75 for that matter. It's about the guys passion for his work. Bet in a matter of minutes here and say on another closely linked forum you can find two guys, doing the same job, and one charges twice what the other does. Both I'm willing to bet can give you excellent work, and likely if you didn't know which one was doing what you'd never know the difference. Just as one or another may throw in little extras just because that's the way he does things. You do what you have to do to pay the bills. Yet even Mike says he doesn't do this for the money anymore. What's the old saying about doing something you love? Jus' sayin'.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    First: What you do going in will be what you get coming out. In other words, don't cut corners! Whether for pleasure or profit it doesn't matter. Same as when you're prepping a car for paint. You can buy the most expensive paint on the planet, but if the prep work isn't great going in then the paint will reflect EXACTLY what is underneath.

This certainly holds true for products. Check the most regretted thread for that one. Duragloss for instance is one that most guys that know it will swear is great product, yet if you're shopping just on price you'd think "It just can't be that good." Oh but it IS!

The third thing: Is that it that the most expensive shop doesn't mean it's the best shop, whether detailing, repairing, even house painting for that matter. Price alone isn't a bellwether as to if one guy is *that much* better, (if any) than another. Doesn't have to apply ONLY to detailers. Plenty of GREAT detailers and qualified techs can be found that are not charging $100 an hour, or $75 for that matter. It's about the guys passion for his work. Bet in a matter of minutes here and say on another closely linked forum you can find two guys, doing the same job, and one charges twice what the other does. Both I'm willing to bet can give you excellent work, and likely if you didn't know which one was doing what you'd never know the difference. Just as one or another may throw in little extras just because that's the way he does things. You do what you have to do to pay the bills. Yet even Mike says he doesn't do this for the money anymore. What's the old saying about doing something you love? Jus' sayin'.....
    Just used Duragloss AW for the first time today. Awesome product!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post

Learn what not to do.......was handed a rotary polisher many, many moons ago and told to polish the hood of a car(barley could see over it) and I went to it like I saw my Uncle do it.........boy did I make a mess! ( I laugh about it today) He told me now you know what not to do sooooooo lets fix your mess and make it right and I did with his help.

He had a saying " boy if you don't mess up sometimes you're not doing anything"
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast