autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Headlights with Opti-lens, Sealant after?

I just got done restoring a set of headlights for my car, they came out better than i could have imagined and I'm really happy about how they look.
    I have applied opti-lens onto the headlights already for that UV protection, I also have some wolfgang 3.0 sealant on the shelf.
    Would it be a bad idea to apply some sealant over the optilens for further protection?
    Would the sealant remove or affect the application of optilens?
    The only reason i ask is because i need the headlights to last as long as possible because they are obsolete, there is no aftermarket availability, and they are expensive when found even in decent condition.

I bought these headlights with the plan to restore them and here are the results of 600, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 3000 grit sandpaper followed by meguiars m105 w/cutting pad and m205 w/polishing pad
    They were actually a little worst than they look in the picture, this picture is after I cleaned them my hand with simple green and a towel

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlights with Opti-lens, Sealant after?

Wow we literally did almost the exact same thing. Except I used optimum polishes and MF pads. Anyhow, I plan to put opti seal over them when I detail the rest of car and whenever adding a lsp also using it on the lights just for extra. but didn't want to add an additional sealant. Im just cautious so it can cure all the way before adding another layer.

Post Thanks / Like

The coating was the best option for them, but i'd wait a few days before applying a thin sealant; it won't hurt.
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

Post Thanks / Like

After applying the Opti-Lens, how many headlights would you guess you could coat with one tube?

Post Thanks / Like

Why would you want to apply a sealant? No need.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ramos617 View Post
    I just got done restoring a set of headlights for my car, they came out better than i could have imagined and I'm really happy about how they look.
    I have applied opti-lens onto the headlights already for that UV protection, I also have some wolfgang 3.0 sealant on the shelf.
    Would it be a bad idea to apply some sealant over the optilens for further protection?
    Would the sealant remove or affect the application of optilens?
    The only reason i ask is because i need the headlights to last as long as possible because they are obsolete, there is no aftermarket availability, and they are expensive when found even in decent condition.

I bought these headlights with the plan to restore them and here are the results of 600, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 3000 grit sandpaper followed by meguiars m105 w/cutting pad and m205 w/polishing pad
    They were actually a little worst than they look in the picture, this picture is after I cleaned them my hand with simple green and a towel

I was wondering this same thing except I wanted to put Opti-Coat over the headlights after the Opti-Lens to help protect it even more. I was told by Chris Thomas at optimumforums.com that Opti-Lens is modified version of Opti-Coat so there is no need to do anything more.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ipsdrew View Post
    After applying the Opti-Lens, how many headlights would you guess you could coat with one tube?
    After putting Opti Lens on one pair for headlights, I'm guessing I could probably do like 5-10 more sets I still had a lot in the syringe.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ipsdrew View Post
    I was told there are a lot more uses than just head lights for Opti-Lens. You can use it for things like tail lights, fog lights, side mirror lights and any plastic trims on your car that you want to UV protect and coat.