autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Dad's friend growing up said warsh, I grew up in Detroit. My wife's Grampa says warsh, life long Chicagoian.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AutoGeek is a RIPOFF!

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    My Dad's friend growing up said warsh, I grew up in Detroit. My wife's Grampa says warsh, life long Chicagoian.

Chicaogians are weird people...

Owner at Clean N' Shiny Auto Detailing Inc.

Post Thanks / Like

Does he have a French model girlfriend and believe that everything on the net is true too. LOL

Yancy Martinez - MNKYHead Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

I feel blessed... My neighbor came over one day and said, "The next time you make an order to that place, get one of those bug sponges you have and some of that wash stuff you use for me."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisCoupe View Post
    Chicaogians are weird people...
    You mean the way sausage is pronounced.....sah-sig, LOL!

2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by golliger View Post
    That dialect isn't exclusive to the south or Misery. I grew up in Illinois and was taught that George Warshington was our first president.
    Well, actually- my wifes entire family says warsh and my wife occasionally does too. It's a pet peeve of mine. But then, my Great Grandma was an English professor at Washington University, my Great Uncle was an English teacher (turned real estate agent) at a South St.Louis County high school, and so on and so forth. So- not that my grammar is without flaws (especially on the internet where I'm prone to typos); but things like "warsh" wouldn't fly in my family! LOL. Which is unfortunate because it drives me NUTS and just about everyone around me says it.

Quote Originally Posted by vet View Post
    I feel blessed... My neighbor came over one day and said, "The next time you make an order to that place, get one of those bug sponges you have and some of that wash stuff you use for me."
    Well when you have a parking lot full of peeling, leaking, dirty cars- conversations about car care aren't likely.
    2014 Ford Focus SE Sport | 2014 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Convertible | 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE | 2011 Honda Shadow 750 Aero

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
    Well, actually- my wifes entire family says warsh and my wife occasionally does too.
    It's a pet peeve of mine.

So- not that my grammar is without flaws (especially on the internet where I'm prone to typos);
    but things like "warsh" wouldn't fly in my family! LOL.

Which is unfortunate because it drives me NUTS and just about everyone around me says it.
    I would probably drive you up the proverbial pet peeve-wall...
    what with my "Appalachian English", et al. Where do you want to meet-up at? LOL

If I remember correctly...
    More often than not when I'm either conversing with AGO forum members in person or on the phone:
    They are quite taken aback by my "drawl", and my usage of Hillbilly/Redneck/Briar-phrases.

YEP!! I be one of "those folks", but currently living in Ohio...A Buckhopper, steady as it goes.

I embrace the fact that different "language communities" have certain ways of talking
    that set them apart from others:
    I can't ever find within myself, to be derisive towards their dialects.

Come to think about it:
    Doesn't the AGO forum "community", in a certain way, have a different "language"?

Should people be encouraged to eliminate "nonstandard ways" of speaking?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    I would probably drive you up the proverbial pet peeve-wall...
    what with my "Appalachian English", et al. Where do you want to meet-up at? LOL

If I remember correctly...
    More often than not when I'm either conversing with AGO forum members in person or on the phone:
    They are quite taken aback by my "drawl", and my usage of Hillbilly/Redneck/Briar-phrases.

YEP!! I be one of "those folks", but currently living in Ohio...A Buckhopper, steady as it goes.

I embrace the fact that different "language communities" have certain ways of talking
    that set them apart from others:
    I can't ever find within myself, to be derisive towards their dialects.

Come to think about it:
    Doesn't the AGO forum "community", in a certain way, have a different "language"?

Bob

Many aspects of the English Language today have aspects that were colloquial at one time. Just because it bothers me doesn't mean it's necessarily wrong or should be corrected. It just bothers me- that's all! LOL.

I'm quite certain that I have mannerisms that bother other people too. That's what makes this world go round. We all keep bugging each other
    2014 Ford Focus SE Sport | 2014 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Convertible | 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE | 2011 Honda Shadow 750 Aero

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post

Come to think about it:

Bob
    Embrace the difference. When my wife and I lived in Chicagoland, friends used to say that they loved getting our answering machine and listening to her (SC/NC) drawl. It embarrassed her, but I love her southern bell sound.

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I am geek about taking care of my car, isn't it kind of hypocritical that we point and laugh at the man that simply doesn't care? There will always be people who don't understand why we do the things we do and ridicule us, which is totally fine. Haters gonna hate. But when we understand that he, and a huge majority of the population doesn't care about their cars condition, and still make fun of them, it really brings us down to their level if not worse. I see a lot of "detailers" write some nasty comments on youtube videos about what people are doing wrong and it really comes off snobby and makes us seem like "know-it-alls". Just food for thought.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast