autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Magnesium chloride/chrome/rust

Brief history;
    I had a 09 ram, every time it would come in contact with road de-icer it would develop tiny rust spots on the chrome/stainless steel (plastic and metal) almost immediately, left unwashed would it would etch into the plastic. At the time I was using a meg's nxt.

Then I had a 11 ram, due to warranty issues the truck never had a layer of wax on it until just before I traded it in, however when it came in contact with the de-icer it never rusted. I thought the manufacturer had rectified the problem.

Now I have a 13 ram that came in contact with magnesium cholride for the first time last week, a few days later and rust spots are developing everywhere there is chrome and stainless steel. The truck had 2 recent coats of collinite 845. I used chrome polish to remove the rust and reapplied 845.

So the question is, is anybody else having similar issues, and what are you using or can be done to prevent further outbreaks.

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife's Dodge journey has a chrome package, all plastic coated. I have noticed a little of rust spots. I used iron-x to remove the spots, then coated with klasse sealant glaze. I haven't noticed as much, but it still happens from time to time.

I have to decontaminate her car every 3-4 months with iron-x. My ram gets done once a year, and its nowhere near as bad. But it's had KSG on it since shortly after buying it.

Have you ever used iron-x? Maybe it had contamination before you waxed it, and collinite isn't sealing it in. Or its on top of the sealant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Mike Phillips

Re: Magnesium chloride/chrome/rust

This isn't really an asnwer to your question just a comment based on all the posts I've read like yours over the years by people that live in cold weather states that use magnesium chloride to de-ice roads.

It just seems that it's such an uphill battle to own something nice and keep it nice when your vehicle is exposed to magnesium chloride. Damage is going to occur in the forum of rust in places you can see and places you can't see.

If a public company were to de-ice roads in this manner they would be sued. Since the State/Government does it there's no recourse?

Sad to say but a person might be better off to have a beater car to drive during the winter months and leave the nice rig in the garage or in the driveway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    This isn't really an asnwer to your question just a comment based on all the posts I've read like yours over the years by people that live in cold weather states that use magnesium chloride to de-ice roads.

It just seems that it's such an uphill battle to own something nice and keep it nice when your vehicle is exposed to magnesium chloride. Damage is going to occur in the forum of rust in places you can see and places you can't see.

If a public company were to de-ice roads in this manner they would be sued. Since the State/Government does it there's no recourse?

Sad to say but a person might be better off to have a beater car to drive during the winter months and leave the nice rig in the garage or in the driveway.

Living in Minnesota since '77, I fully agree. This is why everyone has 'winter beaters' around here. It is that or just succumb to the fact that rust will overtake the vehicle and try to do your best to slow the process.

It isn't the paint that I worry about in the winter, it is all the 'unpainted' surfaces underneath that the rust will attack first.

Wash, wash, wash......

Oh yeah, along with the salt products, they also add sand to the mix so the cars get a free sandblasting.

Randy

5. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never used Iron-x, however all surfaces on the new truck where clayed and sealed immediately upon delivery.

It just totally baffles me that 2 out of 3 vehicles would react to the de-icer.
    My in-laws have also had 3 ram trucks since 09, that where all daily drivers and none of them reacted the way mine has. I know darn well that they do not pamper there's the way I do.

New scientific formula; chrome+pamper+magnesium chloride= RUST!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ZimRandy View Post

Living in Minnesota since '77, I fully agree.

This is why everyone has 'winter beaters' around here.

There's a time and place to own a beater....

Post Thanks / Like

Rotz- Nice Truck, mine is a 13 as well. On my undercarriage, I notice rust spots as well. I had rust on the front tow hook as well as the rear chrome, i took it back to the dealer and they replaced the hook, and "fixed" the speck of rust on the bumper, it stinks, but i dont have the luxury of having a beater

9. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Valugard makes a soap specifically designed to wash Salt and Magnesium Chloride from both the paint and undercarriage that is reported to be very effective, however, it's aimed at the trucking industry so the smallest quantity available is 5 gallon containers.

Perhaps AG could buy it in bulk and private lable it in gallons.

Post Thanks / Like

This is where I can't quite understand whats going on, because its only the chrome and stainless steel parts that are being affected. I do not get rust marks on the exterior paint, nor does the undercarriage look abnormally corroded. I have more rust on my chrome than my entire undercarriage.

On my 09 if I used a wash mit with straight water and briefly went over the contaminated areas of chrome, it was enough to prevent the spots from developing. However if I waited 48hrs or more without rinsing these areas looked like a measles outbreak.

Why does this crap react only on chrome/stainless steel, and why only on the occassionial vehicle? There has got to be a reason, otherwise every vehicle driving on magnesium chloride would have brown chrome.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand the reasons for owning a beater, however when the roads are bad the wifey is not going to commute in a beater, that would be like taking away her security blanket.

13. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post