autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

water reclamation for fixed location

This question is for brick & mortar fixed location veteran shop owners....
    (no mobile guys or shop at home garage guys because its easier to get away with when you're mobile or working from home)

Does anybody run a business where strict water runoff laws are enforced??
    How do you control/ reclaim water runoff??

Financing out of pocket so budget is big issue. What do you guys recommend for water control on budget with strict local water laws enforced?

Not sure why i'm getting little to no responses on this issue but I know I can't be the only guy with this problem unless no one else here is doing business in California.

Mike Phillips, the great, please feel free to weigh in on this subject?????

Post Thanks / Like

Re: water reclamation for fixed location

Quote Originally Posted by worldwidedetail View Post
    This question is for brick & mortar fixed location veteran shop owners....
    (no mobile guys or shop at home garage guys because its easier to get away with when you're mobile or working from home)

Does anybody run a business where strict water runoff laws are enforced??
    How do you control/ reclaim water runoff??

Financing out of pocket so budget is big issue. What do you guys recommend for water control on budget with strict local water laws enforced?

Not sure why i'm getting little to no responses on this issue but I know I can't be the only guy with this problem unless no one else here is doing business in California.

Mike Phillips, the great, please feel free to weigh in on this subject?????
    I just responded to your other thread, but I'll put it here as well. Very little works as well (especially given a budget) as fire hose filled with sand and divert runoff into vegetation or any other onsite retention system.

Don't forget about waterless washes--would save alot of trouble on all but the dirtiest cars!
    Brandon--Custom Cleaning Concepts, LLC
    If you want your ride as clean as can be, you need to call CCC!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am pretty sure you are not allowed to divert runoff into vegetation or any part of the ground. You have to do a complete water containment.

Interesting link Water containment, detailers and the EPA

Check with your states EPA office to be sure. They regulate federal and state EPA regulations.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for responding. No vegetation outside, just an asphalt parking lot with many storm drains. My 1st idea is to get a wash mat from Chemical guys and wash indoors ( I don't want to deal with moving mat around too much & damage it, also worried about leaks from mat or splash water getting messy indoors).
    My 2nd option is washing outdoors and purchasing storm drain covers (city officials probably not going to want water near storm drains because no real way of knowing if storm drains are 100% leak proof)

Last option is cheap vacu berm attachment to wet vac??

Can anybody out there help me with advice. My ears are wide open to any suggestions...

Post Thanks / Like

posted to your other post already be here it is again may help
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3DCzy-Rngo]Make your own Car wash mat. - YouTube[/video]

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mathomf View Post
    I am pretty sure you are not allowed to divert runoff into vegetation or any part of the ground. You have to do a complete water containment.

Interesting link Water containment, detailers and the EPA

Check with your states EPA office to be sure. They regulate federal and state EPA regulations.
    You are exactly right and considering im going to be a new opening business, I don't want to give them any reason for denying me to do business. I want to be responsible and legit with no worries. Last thing I want is to be put out of business before I can even begin my business. Also I plan to have signs because im on busy street, but just as signs will bring me business, they will also bring the authorities.
    Any ideas on what I should do because im really leaning towards the car wash mat indoors...

thx for input mathomf

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CCC4me View Post
    I just responded to your other thread, but I'll put it here as well. Very little works as well (especially given a budget) as fire hose filled with sand and divert runoff into vegetation or any other onsite retention system.

Don't forget about waterless washes--would save alot of trouble on all but the dirtiest cars!
    Not a waterless wash guy. Maybe to a vehicle that's not dirty to begin with, but that's rare & limits me. I don't want to have to turn clients away because their car is too dirty.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well if the shop has no floor drains then you would want a wash mat indoors. Even if you have floor drains inside more than likely they are not setup to handle water contamination. So again using a wash mat inside would be the best way to go.

The advantages of using the wash mat inside of course is you do not have to worry about what the weather is doing outside.

I think the biggest issue would be whether you are using a pressure washer or just a garden hose. I would think using a pressure washer inside would cause more over spray of water and if that bay was not separate from the rest of the shop it would eventually cause water damage and mold to the walls and parts of the shop so you would have to do something to prevent that from happening.

You are welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Anything that evaporates off isn't running into the drain, so just damming the storm drains would work. Feel free to use the mat as it may well be the cleanest (not cheapest, though) option for you. Where are you going to dispose of the water?
    Brandon--Custom Cleaning Concepts, LLC
    If you want your ride as clean as can be, you need to call CCC!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mathomf View Post
    Well if the shop has no floor drains then you would want a wash mat indoors. Even if you have floor drains inside more than likely they are not setup to handle water contamination. So again using a wash mat inside would be the best way to go.

The advantages of using the wash mat inside of course is you do not have to worry about what the weather is doing outside.

I think the biggest issue would be whether you are using a pressure washer or just a garden hose. I would think using a pressure washer inside would cause more over spray of water and if that bay was not separate from the rest of the shop it would eventually cause water damage and mold to the walls and parts of the shop so you would have to do something to prevent that from happening.

You are welcome.
    You got it. Exactly what I was thinking. I will be using a garden hose indoors. I think I will start off with wash mat indoors, and purchase storm drain covers later for limited outside washes in case of extremely oversized vehicles. My extended cargo van is 20 feet so it would barely fit on mat & would cause mess washing indoors on mat.

Thanks for your advice/ input

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast