autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Member Deep Gloss Auto Salon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ricka
    this should not be confused with sealing and waxing a new car. the paint no doubt has time to set up--especially foreign models that take time to get to the states. most in here will at least seal and wax (and clay) due to the contaminants the car endures during the transportation to the dealership.

in fact, some experienced folks won't even let the car get dealer prepped, opting to do it themselves.
    Agreed, the paint on new vehicles from the OEM's are cured.. even domestics.

I am personal friends with the just retired (he took the buy out) chief paint engineer for Ford Motor Co. and he also confirmed this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Al-53
    do not use a sealant or wax on new paint...there's lots of controversy as to some say yes..some no...most paint mfgs. say that 90 days is the cure time and should not be waxed ....you can use a glaze like Menz...Meg's... 3M...to put on the paint....it will offer a little protection..but not for long..you may have to do it weekly...the glaze will not bond to paint..it sorta just floats on it..a wash will take it off or rains...will not hinder the curing of paint....

your body shop should tell you what to use...they know what paint they used and curing time....

But no wax or sealants....

this is for a repaint....new cars are ready to get waxed....they are UV cured from the factory

AL
    I just got my truck completed painted (Sherwin-Williams paint) and they said wait 30 days or so. I took it back a few days ago to discuss getting a couple sections buffed out to clean it up and he stuck his nose to the paint when I was discussing I was considering getting it cleaned, polished, and waxed to check on curing....I wonder...

Al (another one)

Post Thanks / Like
    I waxed and polished my new repaint with PO85RD and OCW. OCW was made for new paint, and allows the paint to cure while protecting it. Zaino can also do this.

Your body shop has already used a buffer on your paint, you are fine polishing it, but only use either OCW or Zaino untill at least 1 month. Then anything is game.
    Showroom Shine Details

Premium Automotive/Marine Detailing

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12