autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rinseless wash users. How do you clean your wheels?

On my old car, my rinseless wash procedure went as follows.

I use Optimum No Rinse and a modified version of the Garry Dean Rinseless Wash Method and a pressurized sprayer and wash the entire vehicle first. Then i'd clean the wheel wells with the pressure sprayer and an old and dirty MF towel dripping wet of ONR. Then lastly i'd clean the wheels by spraying liberally with ONR and wiping them down with a dripping wet old and dirty MF towel.

I didn't have any problem with this on my old BMW because quite frankly i didnt really care for it. I bought it used to use for a short period and re-sell. So now that i bought my new vehicle, and i do care for it, i don't know how safe this method is for cleaning the wheels. The wheels have a very glossy finish and i don't want to ruin them. And one of my apartments doesn't have a car wash facility so i have absolutely no access to running water.

So my question for the rinseless washers, what is the safest method to cleaning your rims without running water?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rinseless wash users.  How do you clean your wheels?-img_1037-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a microfiber finger mit to clean the wheels and an old microfiber towel to dry. I use the rest of my rinseless solution after I've finished the rest if the car.

Broadcasting from an undisclosed location.

2009 Ford Fusion SEL AWD
    3.0L V6, Tein H-Tech springs, Whiteline RSB, 35% Tints, HD Lip, Magnaflow Axle Back
    2015 Ford Fusion 2.0 Ecoboost AWD

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rinseless wash users. How do you clean your wheels?

I will sometimes use the same routine with the rinse less wash as I do on the paint...

...but I usually use my steam cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try sealing up your wheels with opti coat or something simular then once you are done cleaning the whole car use the left over soultion with wheel woolies and microfiber towel or air of choice..good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    With a hose and bucket. I don't think dirty wheels can be cleaned to a high standard using rinseless only methods. You need to use a "soap" that will foam up and cling to the wheel, unless your wheel is a round slab with no recesses. To get the wheel perfectly clean, brushes are often required - which likely won't work well with a rinseless solution that drips right off.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to clean my wheels on a separate (more frequent) schedule from the body. What you use depends how elaborate the wheel design is and how much access you have thru the spokes/openings. I treat it as a separate operation from a waterless wash.

I use a 2 gallon pump sprayer with a fan nozzle filled with hot water, a 5 gallon bucket with soapy water, a hand sprayer filled with a mild wheel cleaner, a daytona brush for the wheel barrels and a different brush for the tires, and foam finger pockets for the spokes (I have 5 spoke wheels with good access to the wheel barrels). I dry them with the master blaster. I can clean and dry them without getting any water/cleaner (or at most a few specs that I dab off) on the body panels (but it does take some practice). I use the same process when I do a full/regular wash, just to keep things easier to remember, except I rinse with a hose rather than the pump sprayer.

Just like with engine bays, if you keep them regularly clean, the maintenance cleanings aren't much work. In my opinion, it's not just clean wheels, but also clean wheel barrels, that make a big difference in appearance. I have some wheel woolies on the way, so if those work as planned I won't use the Daytona brush and finger pockets anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a syringe of Opti-Coat ready to go but i have yet to apply it to wheels. Gotta find the time to stop by the parents place and use their jack.

Perhaps for the wheels, i will have to get a separate sprayer bottle with water and soap solution and soak first then use the rinseless solution.

Post Thanks / Like

If the wheels aren't real dirty, I'll just wipe down the faces with a black MF mostly wrung out at the end of my RW. At least monthly, during the winter, I plan to take my bucket, speedmaster, and spray bottle of diluted DG901 to the coin-op. After I HP rinse the wheels and rest of the car, I spray each wheel with the DG901 solution, then come back and clean each wheel with the speedmaster. The bucket just has some rinse water in it from the coin-op to rinse the speedmaster between wheels. I'll give the tires a scrub on this cycle too (I usually don't touch the tires during a RW). Then another cycle of HP rinse. Wheels are sealed with BF All Metal Sealant.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

Just use the left over ONR in the bucket. Sounds like you keep the car up so you should not have any problems.

Post Thanks / Like

My question is how do you rinseless wash/clean the wheel wells or whatever you call the area on the underside of the car by
    the tires. Sorry... Can't think if the proper term, but I
    think everyone will understand the query.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast