autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailed my 06 Rallye Red Civic Si - need advice

Well I was all excited to start. Got my new Souveran Paste Wax, DP wheel cleaner and wheel glaze, all my MF cloths and Guzzlers were freshly washed and stored.

Then I pull out my new Autogeek bag with all my products in it, to find that a brand new Super Clean degreaser bottle had emptied out into my bag and my trunk. Needless to say, bad start to the day And needless to say, couldn't do the wheelwells then.

So after cleaning it as much as possible and shop-vaccing the trunk, I got started. Washed with Poorboy's SS&S, then clayed with Pinnacle Ultra Poly clay. Looked great. One coat of WGDG, and applied the wheel glaze while it was curing. Practically needed sandpaper to buff it out.

Then I buff the WGDG and did the Souveran. It was ALOT tougher than I expected, I tried to do it in as little sections as possible, but it was coming off like molasses, and my Cobra ultra-plush towels were leaving lots of tiny fibres. Finally finished (at 5:45 am), and checked it out in the sun. I had some tiny swirls before, multiplied by 10 now. The shine is nice, not quite the bang I had expected though.

I'm getting really frustrated, it just seems like everytime I spend an ungodly amount of time (and money) detailing my car, it comes out a little bit worse than when I started, albeit shinier.

Anyways, some pics for you folks. Maybe you can give me some advice on where I need to go from here. 7424+polishes is definately the next step I think

Post Thanks / Like
    Car looks good buddy (minus the swirls) but it looks good. Sorry to hear about the spill I hate it when things go to waist.

Question, how long did you leave WG to cure for? Your supposed to let it sit for at least 12hrs if not more. Then you can put a coat of Souveran/Carnauba.

Another suggestion would be how you are applying and removing wax/sealent anything really. One thing I have learned is to apply wax/sealent/glaze in the same motion always up and down and never in circles...you probably know this but I have noticed a difference that's all.

As far as getting better results a PC or some kind of machine will be require, I was a hudge skeptic about polishing with machines, I used to do everything by hand but know that I've used a machine (rotary or DA) you will never achive machine results by hand....sad but true.

Hey since we live in the same town, why don't you come by and try out my Cyclo in my garage...I'll be working in my garage all weekend...starting today . Come by try it out in one section and see the difference for your self...well just a suggestion that's all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there,
    Car looks nice man. As for your swirl problem, results can be achieved via hand, but minimal. We all know that moving onto a machine isn't that cheap, but it's worth it. Trust me, once I got the hang of my 7424 and learnt how to use it, I've been thankful to the people who told me to get it. I suggest you get the PC XMT Package, and probably so will everyone else. Your swirls don't look that bad, you can try Meguiars ScratchX and use a Meguiars Applicator Pad. If that doesn't work, it's time for a 7424

6LS2
    They say a man looks after himself the same way he looks after his car.

Post Thanks / Like
    my only suggestion is to ge tthe wheel wells next time and consider some swirl removal.

other than that, beautiful color and ride, ive always loved the si's.
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB

"If you don't stand behind our troops, then why don't you stand in front of them"

2003 Yamaha R6
    2000 Acura TL -- White Diamond Pearl
    1999 Honda CBR600 F4 - Midnight Black Pearl
    1996 Nissan Maxima -- Pebble Beige (RIP)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Yeah, I was dissapointed I couldn't adequately clean the wheelwells. This weekend i'm going to jack the car up, remove the wheels and do it.

PC7424 with a full swirl remover and pad package is my next purchase for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Nica
    Car looks good buddy (minus the swirls) but it looks good. Sorry to hear about the spill I hate it when things go to waist.

Question, how long did you leave WG to cure for? Your supposed to let it sit for at least 12hrs if not more. Then you can put a coat of Souveran/Carnauba.

Another suggestion would be how you are applying and removing wax/sealent anything really. One thing I have learned is to apply wax/sealent/glaze in the same motion always up and down and never in circles...you probably know this but I have noticed a difference that's all.

As far as getting better results a PC or some kind of machine will be require, I was a hudge skeptic about polishing with machines, I used to do everything by hand but know that I've used a machine (rotary or DA) you will never achive machine results by hand....sad but true.

Hey since we live in the same town, why don't you come by and try out my Cyclo in my garage...I'll be working in my garage all weekend...starting today . Come by try it out in one section and see the difference for your self...well just a suggestion that's all.
    That would be awesome. I was going ask, but didn't wanna bug you lol

I'm off this weekend actually, maybe you could PM me your address and i'll probably drop by Sunday. Possibly tomorrow, but i'm headed to a party tonight, so dunno how i'm going to be feeling tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like
    i think the car looks great...very glossy! i think now you need to look at the PC7424!

outside of that...what type of exhaust do you have on ur SI and what other mods do you have? what are your plans for the future?

Post Thanks / Like
    The souv was coming off like mollasses? Sounds like you applied too much. You should be applying a very very very thing layer. You should just wipe your applicator over the top of the wax and apply, don't dig in really. O and what Nica said about the 12 hour cure, need a 12 hour cure on the Wolfganger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner1659
    i think the car looks great...very glossy! i think now you need to look at the PC7424!

outside of that...what type of exhaust do you have on ur SI and what other mods do you have? what are your plans for the future?
    Hey, yeah 7424 for sure.

Car has an Injen CAI, Buddy Club pro-spec exhaust and Mugen Sports Suspension. A guy is dojng an HID retrofit for me right now, then raceheader, Hondata, HFP lip kit, 18" wheels and i've got an appointment for a CompuStar paging system in a couple weeks. After that, maybe a superchgarger or turbo, I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarboots11
    The souv was coming off like mollasses? Sounds like you applied too much. You should be applying a very very very thing layer. You should just wipe your applicator over the top of the wax and apply, don't dig in really. O and what Nica said about the 12 hour cure, need a 12 hour cure on the Wolfganger.
    Well, I thought I was putting it on really thinly, perhaps I wasn't. I'd just give a quick swipe in the tin of wax with the applicator with light pressure.

Yeah, I couldn't let the WGDG cure for 12 hours, that just wasn't feasable. Let it cure for about 2. Not sure i'm going to use that anymore, 12 hours just isn't practical.

Post Thanks / Like
    The car looks great, don't get discouraged. Try to remember that this is a learning process as well. You are finding products that you like and dislike as well. The car looks good right now, even though you have some minor swirls. Looks to me like a little 360 will take care of those for you.

It does sound like you applied too much paste. When applying you almost have to look across the paint to see it.

Take Nica up on his offer. I wish I had someone close to me that could show me the ins and outs of detailing. Trust me, it will be worthwhile. He is an excellent detailer.

Post Thanks / Like
    The car looks great... Carlos will hook you up on removing them swirls. I've seen pics of his work, and its outstanding.
    Yal take some pics when it's done.

When you get new MF always wash them, and you want have tiny fibers...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast