autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to prevent swirl marks

Brian,
    I don't think straight lines are necessarily any easier to remove from the finish than circular marks are. IME, the big thing to consider is reflectivity.

You see swirls or scratches mostly because the sun (or other light source) hits the painted surface and illuminates the scratch/swirl mark. A straight line will "catch the light" from one angle. If you have a circular mark in the finish (like from moving your wash media, microfiber towel, or applicator in a circular motion vs a straight line) that circular mark can catch the light from just about any angle, hence the swirls would seem to be more visible or noticeable.

A round light source, like the sun or many flashlights, will make most swirls appear to be circular. To me, anyway.

The person who figures out how to wash a car really clean, without touching it at all, and without degrading or removing the LSP, will be one rich rascal.

ETA: We were typing at the same time. I see you mention washing in straight lines. I'll leave this here anyway as food for thought.

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to add a cap or so of ONR to both buckets to add some lubrication. I also tend to empty and refill the rinse bucket at least once, during winter months couple more times.

I own a Honda, so it's a battle trying to minimize swirls after Spring polish.

Howard

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

What color and make model is it?? What type of wash mitt? Each panel should be rinsed right away, unless I misunderstanding you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I do a Viking wash MIT it washes off the dirt easy and yes I do rinse off each panel
    Like my page on facebook ill like back - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brian...668?fref=photo

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh 2006 dodge

Lexus and honda not mine cars I wash
    Like my page on facebook ill like back - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brian...668?fref=photo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMcLeod View Post
    I am wondering how to prevent swirl marks I use grit guards straight motions but I feel like I am missing something
    Straight motions that causes swirls (a "type" of scratch) can appear circular.

Please see below.

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    Brian,
    I don't think straight lines are necessarily any easier to remove from the finish than circular marks are. IME, the big thing to consider is reflectivity.

You see swirls or scratches mostly because the sun (or other light source) hits the painted surface and illuminates the scratch/swirl mark. A straight line will "catch the light" from one angle. If you have a circular mark in the finish (like from moving your wash media, microfiber towel, or applicator in a circular motion vs a straight line) that circular mark can catch the light from just about any angle, hence the swirls would seem to be more visible or noticeable.

A round light source, like the sun or many flashlights, will make most swirls appear to be circular. To me, anyway.

The person who figures out how to wash a car really clean, without touching it at all, and without degrading or removing the LSP, will be one rich rascal.

ETA: We were typing at the same time. I see you mention washing in straight lines. I'll leave this here anyway as food for thought.
    ^^^^^^

And to add something from a 2008 Mike Phillips article, that still holds true today:

"The scratches are not specifically circle scratches, they could be a all straight-line scratches
    but the effect is they look circular because the point of light is circular and the light hitting
    the hundreds of thousands of scratches are all reflecting back to the center of the point of light
    making it look as though the scratches are all circular when that's not the case".

Hope this helps.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't touch it

Sent while I was Detailing or something related to detailing or...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12