autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question on a used ( new to me ) set of wheels.. What kind of prep?

I just picked up a used set of wheels. They are OEM Ford wheels. They look good on the outside and they are ( as far as I know ) clear coated polished aluminum. They do have some brake dust on the inside ( rotor side ) and I plan on cleaning that. What Im wondering is, can anything be done on the inside to keep brake dust from bonding to the inside? Since its harder to clean and all? Also, any wheel coating worth applying while they are off the truck, on either the outside or the inside?

Any and all help is appreciated Thanks!!

Oh and what should I use to give them a good cleaning? I have Megs APC and Super degreaser on hand...

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question on a used ( new to me ) set of wheels.. What kind of prep?

Well, I have never taken rims off to do the back. But once u use a nice cleaner like wheel brightener (I have it but am scared of its power) so maybe iron x or sonax or brown royal n some elbow grease then use can probably clay (to really get the gunk off) and seal em with something of ur choice. Maybe put a second coat of sealer on it for super protection from brake dust. I have never done this so I am NO expert but that would be my approach to the back of a rim. Good luck. Probably don't need the clay part unless they r really nice back there and open from the front.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks they are actually only a little bit brown on the inside/back of the wheel. Its not bad at all really... Just wanted to do all I could while they were off of the truck, and prior to installing them...

Post Thanks / Like

So from looking all night last night it seems that I can use a 4:1 APC to clean the barrel ( as its called ) and then I can use that on the face of the wheel as well.

Then follow up with Iron-X and a wheel coating.

Im thinking possibly Poli-Seal ( since I have it ) Opti-coat would be best though. Followed with say 476s ( I have that too ) or maybe CG wheel sealant ( Id have to buy it. )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh View Post
    So from looking all night last night it seems that I can use a 4:1 APC to clean the barrel ( as its called ) and then I can use that on the face of the wheel as well.

Then follow up with Iron-X and a wheel coating.

Im thinking possibly Poli-Seal ( since I have it ) Opti-coat would be best though. Followed with say 476s ( I have that too ) or maybe CG wheel sealant ( Id have to buy it. )
    Stick with the 476 no need to buy the cg wheel sealant

Detailing- my stress reliever

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh View Post

I just picked up a used set of wheels. They are OEM Ford wheels. They look good on the outside and they are ( as far as I know ) clear coated polished aluminum. They do have some brake dust on the inside ( rotor side ) and I plan on cleaning that.

What Im wondering is, can anything be done on the inside to keep brake dust from bonding to the inside?

Since its harder to clean and all? Also, any wheel coating worth applying while they are off the truck, on either the outside or the inside?

Any and all help is appreciated Thanks!!

I removed, cleaned and coated the inside of my truck wheels, they are painted. Powder coat I think...

Now when I wash my wheels and tires I use a Daytona wheel brush and my car wash soap or a foam gun and the clean up real easy.

It's been at least a month since I washed my truck wheels and tires and it rained a lot during this time so the inside of my wheels are dirty. I'll try to do a wash job on them and take some before and after pictures.

A whole bunch of pictures and info here...

How to Clean & Coat the INSIDE of your car's wheels

Before...

After...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I came across that thread and I was wondering if it would apply to clear coated wheels as well.

Im starting to think the Opti-coat would be the way to go. But that's another 70 bucks I would have to spend. When I would/could just use opti-seal and then top with 476s or 845.

I may also get a sample of Iron-x to get rid of more metal in the finish...

I could polish the wheels as I would my paint correct?

What would be the process?

1. wash with APC
    2. Iron-x
    3. polish until satisfied
    4. opti-seal
    5. wax of choice ( after 24 hrs )?