autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Opti-coating clear bra prep

So I searched the forums regarding OCing clear bras and on one of the threads, a member from Optimum said that it was perfectly fine to OC clear bras. My question is how do you prep it for OC if I applied a sealant to it prior (5 months ago?). I don't think I want to polish the clear bra due to risk of damaging it and its proven that a simple IPA wipe down won't remove sealants. What are your inputs on prepping a clear bra for OC? Do I just let the sealant run its course?

Looking forward to your responses.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opti-coating clear bra prep

Use this and you'll be fine: Pinnacle Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish I just did the clear bra on my car
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

Opti-coating clear bra prep

I've polished my clear bra multiple times with no problems. Yes, I was very scared like you at first. Then one day when I was doing the rest of the car I thought "no guts...no glory". So, I got a fine polish (SF4500), my GG6, and a soft foam 4" finishing pad. I kept the machine at about 3 and did 4-5 passes with lighter downward pressure.

You know what? It worked well and really cleaned it up. If your still scared, prep it using an Optimum polish by hand. But you have to realize, the machine is just mimicking the hand and can be as gentle or as aggressive as your products and technique make it. It can spin the pad as slow or as fast as you set it. You can use no downward pressure at all if you like. The machine only weighs 5lbs or so. There is nothing in a clear bra that says "if touched by machine - will self destruct !!!"

Good luck and go easy.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had clear bra's of multiple brands. I have always treated them just like the paint on the car, never had any issues.

Post Thanks / Like

I have polished and OC a clear bra and has no issues. With the clear bra I just used a fine finishing polish and a polishing pad no issues at all. I then did a full wipe down with CarPro Eraser then applied the OC.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpegs13 View Post
    Use this and you'll be fine: Pinnacle Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish I just did the clear bra on my car
    You think Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion will do the same thing? I have a sample I am waiting to use.

Also, seems like everyone that responded had successful polishing sessions on a clear bra. Makes me feel a little more confident than I was before. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theblob640 View Post
    You think Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion will do the same thing? I have a sample I am waiting to use.

Also, seems like everyone that responded had successful polishing sessions on a clear bra. Makes me feel a little more confident than I was before. Thanks.
    It should. Go for it!
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like
    I probably wouldn't use Pinnacle Paint Cleanser before OptiCoat. It has oils/fillers in it that can inhibit the bonding of OC. How would you remove them from clear bra material? IPA? I wouldn't use it on clear bra or trust it to remove everything. I would use an Optimum polishes, as Optimum recommends.

From the description:

Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion will restore and preserve your car's original beauty. Paintwork Cleansing Lotion uses a combination of gloss-enhancing oils and micro-fine fillers to polish your car without abrasives. The VOC compliant formula is safe and gentle on all finishes. Simply wipe it on, allow a haze to form, and buff gently. Minor swirls and surface imperfections disappear like magic. Your car's finish will emerge bright and clean, ready for your favorite wax or protectant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I probably wouldn't use Pinnacle Paint Cleanser before OptiCoat. It has oils/fillers in it that can inhibit the bonding of OC. How would you remove them from clear bra material? IPA? I wouldn't use it on clear bra or trust it to remove everything. I would use an Optimum polishes, as Optimum recommends.

From the description:

Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion will restore and preserve your car's original beauty. Paintwork Cleansing Lotion uses a combination of gloss-enhancing oils and micro-fine fillers to polish your car without abrasives. The VOC compliant formula is safe and gentle on all finishes. Simply wipe it on, allow a haze to form, and buff gently. Minor swirls and surface imperfections disappear like magic. Your car's finish will emerge bright and clean, ready for your favorite wax or protectant.
    Good catch, I stand corrected
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't do this. but do what you want.
    the only prep you need is to make sure there is no oil on the surface.
    So just an IPA wipe down is needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast