autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Need Help Choosing A Machine Polisher And Swirl Remover Compounds

Hello everybody,

For the past few months, I've been searching and reading on this great forum. I have learned a lot so far, but I am still very new to the car detailing world.
    I detail my family member's cars and they look okay. I would like to start polishing the paint, so they would look better.
    In general, all the cars probably have Intermediate Swirls or Heavy swirls.

Any answers, I will greatly appreciate. Thanks

Questions I have, are about machine Polishers and Swirl Remover Compounds.

1. For a beginner, what machine Polisher and Swirl Remover Compounds do you recommend to get the best results?

2. Is it possible to burn through the clear coat or paint, using a DA polisher?

3.Is the Rupes LHR 15ES Random Orbital Polisher a DA polisher?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Help Choosing A Machine Polisher And Swirl Remover Compounds

The Rupes,Flex 3401, PC 2474xp, Meguiars 110V, and the Griots Garage 6 &3" are all dual action. They are all pretty safe when it comes to clear coat burn. You can, the clear can be super thin, and the Flex is really strong with a tendency to jump or walk if not flat. You risk more chance of hitting it with the backing plate though if you don't use the right size pad.

The Flex 3401 is forced rotation. Which means it won't jam up when you hit a curved panel. While that sounds great, I just got mine and it takes quite a bit of practice to use.

My recommendation for a beginner is the Griots Garage 6". It's the most powerful of the <200 dollar polishers, so you can use a 6 inch pad to its fullest. It also carries a lifetime warranty that is supposedly VERY easy to work with.

On the other hand, the PC7424 is the standard of polishers. You can get a 3 inch attachment for it with smaller pads for small panels, you can get brushes for interior. It's what I started on and I'm glad I have it now that I have the flex, but after playing with the Griots I wish I would have gotten it a few years ago.

Polishes: that's a while bag of worms right there. Stick to something simple. Just a 2 step should get you by. Menzerna and Chemical guys are very confusing, don't overwhelm yourself with that at this point. (however, I believe menzerna 400 and 1500 are the too common ones. and CG have the V line that 34-36-38 if you want it simple)

I started on the XMT line and it's great for beginning. They are numbered, they say what they are for right on the bottle too. Heavy, intermediate, and fine swirl removal.
    Wolfgang and Pinnical have cutting and finishing polish. That's pretty simple. Also, you can't rule out the staple of Meguiars Mirror Glaze line 105 and 205 numbers.
    Product is no where as nearly as important as technique. Master your machine and you should get great results on moderate to light damage.

Best of luck, hope this helped some.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out the Wolfgang twins to do your basic swirl removal. You might even be able to get a deal on a kit with a polisher right now due to sema. The rupes is a day, so check their packages.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidg View Post
    The Rupes,Flex 3401, PC 2474xp, Meguiars 110V, and the Griots Garage 6 &3" are all dual action. They are all pretty safe when it comes to clear coat burn. You can, the clear can be super thin, and the Flex is really strong with a tendency to jump or walk if not flat. You risk more chance of hitting it with the backing plate though if you don't use the right size pad.

The Flex 3401 is forced rotation. Which means it won't jam up when you hit a curved panel. While that sounds great, I just got mine and it takes quite a bit of practice to use.

My recommendation for a beginner is the Griots Garage 6". It's the most powerful of the <200 dollar polishers, so you can use a 6 inch pad to its fullest. It also carries a lifetime warranty that is supposedly VERY easy to work with.

On the other hand, the PC7424 is the standard of polishers. You can get a 3 inch attachment for it with smaller pads for small panels, you can get brushes for interior. It's what I started on and I'm glad I have it now that I have the flex, but after playing with the Griots I wish I would have gotten it a few years ago.

Polishes: that's a while bag of worms right there. Stick to something simple. Just a 2 step should get you by. Menzerna and Chemical guys are very confusing, don't overwhelm yourself with that at this point. (however, I believe menzerna 400 and 1500 are the too common ones. and CG have the V line that 34-36-38 if you want it simple)

I started on the XMT line and it's great for beginning. They are numbered, they say what they are for right on the bottle too. Heavy, intermediate, and fine swirl removal.
    Wolfgang and Pinnical have cutting and finishing polish. That's pretty simple. Also, you can't rule out the staple of Meguiars Mirror Glaze line 105 and 205 numbers.
    Product is no where as nearly as important as technique. Master your machine and you should get great results on moderate to light damage.

Best of luck, hope this helped some.
    Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge. Really appreciate it. I will have to check out those polishers and XMT line.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parttimer View Post
    Check out the Wolfgang twins to do your basic swirl removal. You might even be able to get a deal on a kit with a polisher right now due to sema. The rupes is a day, so check their packages.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
    Thank you, for the reply.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Will Recon View Post
    Hello everybody,

For the past few months, I've been searching and reading on this great forum. I have learned a lot so far, but I am still very new to the car detailing world.
    I detail my family member's cars and they look okay. I would like to start polishing the paint, so they would look better.
    In general, all the cars probably have Intermediate Swirls or Heavy swirls.

Any answers, I will greatly appreciate. Thanks

Questions I have, are about machine Polishers and Swirl Remover Compounds.

1. For a beginner, what machine Polisher and Swirl Remover Compounds do you recommend to get the best results?

GG with a 5" backing plate. In the right hands, any compounds and polishes will get good results. Asking for products that will get the best results is like asking for the best tasting ice cream. You will get many different answers. Many products stated above are all note worthy. My favorites are- Meguire M101 and D300, Menzerna SI 1500, CarPro Reflect, and Sonzx PF.

2. Is it possible to burn through the clear coat or paint, using a DA polisher?

Yes...but you really have to try at it.

3.Is the Rupes LHR 15ES Random Orbital Polisher a DA polisher?

Yes. The larger throw is what gives the Rupes the power to correct.
    Have Fun.....

Post Thanks / Like

First of all welcome to the forum. I made my first order in late September and worked on my truck in October. I am no professional by any means but I did learn a lot from reading, watching videos and talking to a member of the forum.

I ordered
    Griot's 6" and a 5" backing plate
    5.5" hydro tech pads.
    M105 & M205
    Amongst other items.

This is what worked for me and you will find that everyone has a personal preference. Speaking as a beginner with a DA, the GG 6 was easy to use. Just do some homework on here, come up with a plan, choose your products and away you go. Also watch some of the videos about technique, I found this to be very important.

Like I stated, first time user of a DA and products from AG. It can be a little intimidating at first with so many choices but don't let that get in the way.

Any questions let me know or PM me if you wish.

Alby

Post Thanks / Like

Be sure to check out junkman on youtube. (might be junkman2000, can't remember)

Post Thanks / Like

For a beginner you can't go wrong buying the Griot's Buffer along with Ultimate Compound and Meg's 205.

You won't out grow the Griot's buffer.
    I've been detailing for many years and don't see a need to upgrade, it's that good

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alby View Post
    First of all welcome to the forum. I made my first order in late September and worked on my truck in October. I am no professional by any means but I did learn a lot from reading, watching videos and talking to a member of the forum.

I ordered
    Griot's 6" and a 5" backing plate
    5.5" hydro tech pads.
    M105 & M205
    Amongst other items.

This is what worked for me and you will find that everyone has a personal preference. Speaking as a beginner with a DA, the GG 6 was easy to use. Just do some homework on here, come up with a plan, choose your products and away you go. Also watch some of the videos about technique, I found this to be very important.

Like I stated, first time user of a DA and products from AG. It can be a little intimidating at first with so many choices but don't let that get in the way.

Any questions let me know or PM me if you wish.

Alby
    Thank you Alby, for your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast