autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it necessary to clay a car with Gtechniq C1 before applying a coat of wax/sealant?

Hi guys. My car has a full coat of Gtechniq C1 applied a few months ago. I did top it with a layer of Wolfgang DGPS a day after I put the C1 on. It has been a few months since I put on anything on the car and I thought about doing another layer of sealant before winter sets in.

Is it necessary to clay the car again? I can feel some contaminants when doing the sandwich bag tesr but im afraid that it might damage the C1 in the process. However, the manufacturer says the C1 is tough enough that only polishing can take it off. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is it necessary to clay a car with Gtechniq C1 before applying a coat of wax/sealant?

I clay only before polishing. If you must clay over C1, I would use a super fine clay like Pinnacle Ultra Fine Poly Clay.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is it necessary to clay a car with Gtechniq C1 before applying a coat of wax/sealant?

You might try a Iron-X type of decontamination spray first before claying. That might take care of most of the contamination. I have c1 and Exov2 on my car and I haven't even THOUGHT about claying or even checking for contaminants. It looks SO good and beads like it's allergic to water. Maybe I should break out he ziplock? I haven't clayed over any coating but I think it would hold up fine.
    Wax On!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
    You might try a Iron-X type of decontamination spray first before claying. That might take care of most of the contamination. I have c1 and Exov2 on my car and I haven't even THOUGHT about claying or even checking for contaminants. It looks SO good and beads like it's allergic to water. Maybe I should break out he ziplock? I haven't clayed over any coating but I think it would hold up fine.
    The problem with only using IX is that it removes ferrous metals and not other contaminates. This is why you should clay after using IX.