autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Glass coating for shower walls

Hi everybody! Winter approaching fast, less detailing and i wonder-if i use glass coating for my glass walls in the shower that would provide same benefits as car's glass, anybody have used? What brand? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Glass coating for shower walls

I have heard of people opti-coating their shower doors and walls... have never tried it myself, but others have said it helps to make it easier to clean. Less soap scum/water spots. Only one way to find out! Let us know how it goes

Retired Professional Detailer

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I just recently considered the very same thing. Yet half my shower is glass the other half is plastic and I'd like to coat both surfaces. We have well water which is super hard and we get a rust colored scale build up on everything.
    BTW using Muratic Acid cleans the scale and water spots off like a charm. Not the least aggressive method, but its not expensive. Lysol toilet cleaner works too.
    I'm not sure what to use on the plastic walls yet, I've even thought of the same floor polish I use on my vinyl composite tiles (commercial tiles). I know a bunch of people use the same polish on their RV's and boats, yet I wouldn't advocate that use.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Collinite 845 on tiles and Pinnacle Crystal Clear Glass Cleaner with Water Repellent on all shower glass.

Needless to say, the bathroom stays clean.

Post Thanks / Like

Spraying down tiles, glass or whatever else is in the shower/bathroom with something like harsh cleaners that kill bacteria is necessary.

My guess would be it would eliminate or at least nearly breakdown any sealant put down.

I'm a clean freak and do this nearly weekly, so I would think this would be useless for me to do.

Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Double edged sword. Hydrophobic surfaces are not either self cleaning or easy to clean. In factual reality, they are quite the opposite. Hydrophobic surfaces are hard to dirty. Hydrophilic surfaces are easy to clean/self cleaning.

Hydrophobic surfaces mean that soiling is easy to remove whilst it is wet. When you allow it to dry, any dirt will concentrate increasingly into a bead and then leave a very definite spot. This should be very familiar to detailers. It should also be known that these spots can etch and this is particularly the case with soap scums. I personally do not advocate the use of hydrophobic coatings for shower screens because it tends to leave a water spotted finish which is extremely hard to clean without really nasty chemicals. Moreover, hydrophobic coatings are fog magnets - again, scientific reality, not conjecture!

Post Thanks / Like

I too was thinking about the new Pinnacle Surface Coating ...

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used the new dp glass coating. Seems to help clean the waterspots over time easier they aren't baked onto the glass

Ryan
    Ryan

Post Thanks / Like

Our water is really bad here in NorCal. Twice a year (for the last year and a half) I've cleaned up the glass with DP glass restorer and my Flex, then treated the glass with Aquapel. Believe it or not the scrubbing bubbles or the bathroom cleaner with bleach did not have any noticeable affect on the durability of the product. Usually about the 6 month mark it starts to get water spots again, and the water doesn't sheet in certain areas. I just do the process all over again.

There are probably cheaper options on the sealant, but I bought the six pack and had to use them up.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Available from Sister Company, Autopia

GTechniq G5 Water Repellent Coating

The GTechniq website indicates that it is more water repellant than thir C1 glass coating, but less durable.

G5 Water Repellent Coating for Glass and Perspex | Glass

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast