autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Sonax Wheel Cleaner, is it really that better than Armor All Wheel Cleaner?

Ive been having trouble getting my black rims to look new. I bought the Armor All Extreme Wheel and Tire Cleaner, let it soak on the rims, scrub it with a brush, and spray it off.

Done it several times, the rims still have dirt/stain spots all over them. Almost look like water stains & faded. But its really just dirt I think, the rims are 2 years old, but only have 4,900 miles on them. So is SONAX really something different?

These are my rims: 19x10 Tenzo Type-M Version 1 Matte Black Racing Wheels Wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sonax Wheel Cleaner, is it really that better than Armor All Wheel Cleaner?

Have you got pics of your rim and he spots?

Post Thanks / Like

Most things are better than armor all.

Sounds like you need an iron remover or heavy APC like Iron X or Trix. I think what you think is dirt is really brake dust embedded in there. You might try decontaminating, claying and polishing.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Chris, but if your wheels are identical to the ones you posted. I wouldn't clay or polish them as it will damage Matte finish. But yes there is a chance that it's embedded brake dust.
    2014 Mercedes-Benz C250

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, here are a few pics. The 1st pic shows the little dot spots, as if its water stains. And you can see everything else....

Here is one more shot, buts its kinda exagerated as my wheels are dirty right now, but thats still kinda what it will look like:

I dont think its that its actually faded or peeling right? It must just be grim embedded, cause the wheels, like I said, only have 4,900 miles on them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    Have you got pics of your rim and he spots?

Yap, posted them now.

Post Thanks / Like

It actually looks like the black paint or powder coat has been damaged by a harsh cleaner at some time in the past.

You may have to try a polish on the wheels to remove the damaged portion of the pain.

But about the SONAX. I use it on wheels that are heavily covered with ferrous brake pad and rotor material. It removes it and turns red while doing it. However, if the car has non ferrous ceramic type pads you might not need it and can get away with a much cheaper wheel cleaner. I like the Meguiars D-140 Wheel brightener. It's pretty powerful and you must not let it dry on the wheel. Use plenty of water to wash it off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldmodman View Post
    It actually looks like the black paint or powder coat has been damaged by a harsh cleaner at some time in the past.

You may have to try a polish on the wheels to remove the damaged portion of the pain.

But about the SONAX. I use it on wheels that are heavily covered with ferrous brake pad and rotor material. It removes it and turns red while doing it. However, if the car has non ferrous ceramic type pads you might not need it and can get away with a much cheaper wheel cleaner. I like the Meguiars D-140 Wheel brightener. It's pretty powerful and you must not let it dry on the wheel. Use plenty of water to wash it off.

Hmm, idk cause I never used any cleaner or chemical on the rims until now when I bought the Armor All Wheel Cleaner. Maybe the pictures just make it look like its damaged (the third image just looks really bad cause of the flash), or maybe you're right, idk. I always thought it was just bad staining. Ill check out Meguiars D-140 though.

The rims are made of " high-quality low-pressure die-cast one-piece aluminum alloy".

Post Thanks / Like

I like SONAX Full Effect, in fact I have over a gallon at home and I'm just an enthusiast. With your problem, however, I don't know if it would help. I think polishing may be in order, rather than a different wheel cleaner. Once you have them cleaned up, throw a coating on there and then your wheels will stay in good condition and clean up much easier in the future.

Good luck and happy detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Radarryan View Post
    I like SONAX Full Effect, in fact I have over a gallon at home and I'm just an enthusiast. With your problem, however, I don't know if it would help. I think polishing may be in order, rather than a different wheel cleaner. Once you have them cleaned up, throw a coating on there and then your wheels will stay in good condition and clean up much easier in the future.

Good luck and happy detailing!
    Okay good to know. So as far as polish, just use something like this??: Amazon.com: Meguiar's Hot Rims All Metal Polish - 8 oz.: Automotive Sorry if thats a dumb question, never used polish before. So I assume something like Meguiar's polish is okay?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast