autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't forget to lay the first coat the usual way.then wait the 24 hrs before the spit shine.....

Post Thanks / Like
    as for souveran vs signature.... whichever is a paste. Spit shining can not be performed with a liquid wax. Liquids have a far higher solvent content than pastes do. even when using the cold water, the higher solvent % will still dissolve the first layer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks......... .

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting. I've never heard of this before. I'll give it a try. With "FOFO", do you wax the entire car before you start removing the wax? Will the nattys or souveran be to dry and hard to remove?

Also, does spit shining apply to OCW application since I like to apply that after a wash sometimes? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    yes, wax the whole car before removing. The key to easy removal of a completely dried carnauba is to apply it as thin as you would a sealant. One quick swab of the applicator in the tub will do most of the fender, 1/4 of a hood, etc etc.

after OCW sits still, it separates. to put it into percentages, only 10-20% of the OCW mixture is wax (the part the settles down). The rest is solvents, oils, and other ingredients. It has a higher solvent content than straight liquids do (because it has to be thin enough to spray. I wouldn't try spit shining OCW.

The bad part about spit shining is that if you do it too many times, the wax layers will start to flake off. there is a limit in other words. I normally stop at 3 spit shined layers.

Post Thanks / Like
    I Remember my navy days when we spit shined our shoes, spit shining'
    s been around a long time on shining shoes, but im not sure how long it's been around doing cars, but its a great idea to try which i'll do today.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neothin
    as for souveran vs signature.... whichever is a paste. Spit shining can not be performed with a liquid wax. Liquids have a far higher solvent content than pastes do. even when using the cold water, the higher solvent % will still dissolve the first layer.

So what happens if i use a liquid wax over a sealant, let say over AIO+SG, will it disolve a little of the sealant?

Post Thanks / Like
    nah, if given the proper curing time, sealants are ALOT more hardy against carnauba solvents than another carnauba wax is. Don't worry about applying over a sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Souveran over Natty's Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Neothin View Post
    spit shining 101- 1. have a layer of cured carnauba on the car (usually takes about 24 hours). When I say a carnauba has to cure, I'm talking about all the solvents that are in the wax have to evaporate leaving just the carnauba on the car. 2. take a spray bottle of pure water and put it into the freezer. Do not let it turn to ice. You want it to get as cold as possible without it turning into ice. When I spit shine, the top 1/2 inch or so of water in the bottle is ice. 3. now for the actual spit shining part. spray a small area of the paint with the cold water (somewhat generously). Then apply your carnauba over top of the cold water. make sure that the paint is cool to the touch before you start. apply until the droplets are gone. Let the nuba dry and then buff off with a MF. Now for an explanation of what's actually happening here. If you have a layer of carnauba on the car, and then you apply another layer of carnauba on the car, the solvents in the second layer of carnauba will actually dissolve the first layer and the two layers will combine. The cold water spritz'd onto the surface keeps the first layer solid and doesn't let it dissolve. For example, collinite's 845 insulator wax is a good example. When the wax is warm, it's a thick liquid. When cool though, it becomes almost a paste because it hardens up. This is exaxtly what is happening on your paint. The cold water hardens up the first layer of wax to the point where the second layer's solvents cant dissolve it. Instead of having just one layer of wax on the car that is a combination of whatever you've applied, by spit shining the layers you apply, you have separate and defined layers of wax which helps the look overall (especially for showing the car off and you have 4, 5, 6, or more layers on the car).
    I recall doing this , to my shoes, before an inspection. I would take a piece of cotton T-shirt, wrap it around my middle finger and lightly dab it in the wax and dip the tip into the water in the lid of the shoe polish. container. Then, very lightly I applied the drop of water to the leather working it into the leather. Since oil floats, a few drops of water were worked into the leather, conditioning it. The procedure was repeated over the same area until the water droplets were not absorbed, but only acted as a barrier between the cotton and the wax. This created a glass like appearance to the leather. I am not sure, but I think the process was a way to layer the wax without touching the leather. Using water droplets meant you were not actually wetting the leather or scratching the wax. Sorry, the practice was very focused and time consuming, describing is ever harder. No pushups for typos and lack of clarity, I hope. Anyway, misting an applicator to help spread out an even layer of wax? Require very little pressure and the water would be a barrier between cured layers. Or not?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Souveran over Natty's Blue

Dang I was so excited to see a new "wax" post then I realized its almost 20 years old. Oh well, fun anyway
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast