autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Modesta Glass Coatings

Quote Originally Posted by Joe@Superior Shine View Post
    Last Jan. I fully polished a black hood on a Ford Ranger that wore factory paint. I divided the hood into quarters and coated each quarter with a different coating. The four are Modesta, 22PLE, Opti Pro, regular Cquartz (not finest) No instructions where given to the vehicle owner on care or maintenance. There were coatings that were noticeably glossier than the others. 6 months into the test there was no change in appearance. Very light swirls were consistence across each coating. I plan on checking on the panel sometime very soon for gloss and durability.
    Keep us updated Joe.

Post Thanks / Like

Very interested in the above^^

-Beach
    People > Possessions
    Instagram: @DiamondDetail_ABQ
    www.diamonddetailabq.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post

I find that I have this problem with my fresh coatings like CQ, CQUK, OC. They are so good at shedding dirt & water that is foam and wash solution doesn't "cling" as well. It is an interesting problem. To solve this I will foam and rinse to get the majority of the dirt off; then do a std 2BW to get all the rest.

Same method I used. I may try the Modesta wash to see if works better.

Post Thanks / Like

Love to see the results Joe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post

I find that I have this problem with my fresh coatings like CQ, CQUK, OC. They are so good at shedding dirt & water that is foam and wash solution doesn't "cling" as well. It is an interesting problem. To solve this I will foam and rinse to get the majority of the dirt off; then do a std 2BW to get all the rest.

On thing I will add to this.

When I am having a hard time keeping the car wet while washing I will switch my spray head to a multi pattern unit that can be rotated to change the spray pattern. I set it to the mist setting and mist the vehicle lightly. I have found that a very light mist will "stick" to a point. This helps me keep the surface wet a lubricated.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Modesta Glass Coatings

I am going to buy some of their wash and see how it works. I have had Modesta BC 5 applied to two cars now and will have our QX80 that has Opti Coat pro on it also covered in Modesta. It is proving to be that much better! The stuff is great. very impressed so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Modesta Glass Coatings-img_3247-jpg   Modesta Glass Coatings-img_9759-jpg   Modesta Glass Coatings-img_8212-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

That Porsche looks great!

Post Thanks / Like

Going to try and answer what I can from all the posts to this thread. I have used both the 22PLE Glass and the Modesta BC-05 products. One on several cars and a first time user on a Maserati QP. Right off the bat I noticed a huge difference with application process.

1. The Modesta Primer PA-01 is recommended by the manufacturer for increased gloss and a candy like effect? Also several posts on various forums mentioned double coating with the primer to possibly increase the effect and depth of coatings. The primer is supposed to help the cross linking between the glass and the paint. Not sure if it helps but I did it anyway two days apart. Second coat was 3hrs directly before the glass application. I did notice a difference with gloss from just the primer. It also has some fillers in it to mask any swirls or deep scratches that are left after the paint correction. Yes it did work, and normally fillers come out after a couple wipedowns or washes, but if your coating the paint with glass right after curing, then the fillers would be locked in, so actually a pretty good idea.

2. 22PLE coatings goes on like a alcohol would then starts hardening with contact with oxygen and within 5 min becomes sticky. The only way to remove it after it is sticky is apply more in that area then wipe off. Within 3-4 min the 22PLE wipes off very easy then a second wipe to remove all residue. Extremely easy application and removal, with stellar results. Somewhat noticeable within the hour with most cure around 24hrs. My write up thread with the 750hp NSX had this applied.

22PLE Wheel coatings goes on just as smooth, and comes off the same. Cures within 24 and does its job for gloss and easy removal of brake dust and dirt. Repels most of it but some does stick.

3. Modesta BC-05- Applies with a sponge or microfiber applicator and goes on like Syrup. It is very thick but wipes on pretty smooth. You definitely use more product with this than the 22PLE. You can see the thickness when applied. The optional IR lights can increase gloss but I am not sure Paul Dalton uses them (just my opinion, I have no factual information). I think the Thailand guys use them for all the diff glass.

4. Yes the information is very scarce beyond what I have told you. Kinda like a secret that keeps the very few US dealers being the premier applicators. I messaged AO Wheels (Brian Guy) three times about getting this applied to a 458 Spyder, and got no reply. I was also asking to purchase several bottles, in which I got no reply either. Maybe busy, but 750 in purchases has got to be a good profit. I created an account with Modesta EU , then went through the purchasing process, which directed my purchases to a detail shop in Maryland. I received my order 5 days later.

Allright, here it goes. Of the few threads out there on this product, there are some covering difficulties with removal. I am sure removal of product after it has cured, would be very difficult, where with 22ple you can just compound it off.

Here is what I found. Once you apply it to ONE panel, or actually HALF a panel, start to remove it. Use two Microfibers, (not cheap ones, but not your best-- you will throw them away afterwards), one to help remove most of the residue then a clean side to remove and smooth the rest. You can see and feel it drying and becoming tacky. So you DO NOT want to wait to long, then you will be in trouble. You start realizing how much to apply then remove safely. I did half the vehicle, then went around it with a clean MF and a brink man to remove any small areas that i missed. Same as you would do with a sealant. I did remove little smudges at the ends of the door handles and some edges. Lightly rub it and it will smooth out. Not a big deal it appears. Let it naturally cure for 24hrs inside, then drive normal but without inclimate weather till the 3 day mark. It would be safe for a customer to take a few hours after application, only if it went into a garage for overnight at least. Fully curing takes approx 10 days. You can wash lightly after 3.

The Primer can be used as a stand alone LSP, but not sure on the legality of the product. Supposedly you get 100+ panels out of the bottle (225) so around $2 a panel or so. Not too bad. I found time applying the primer to be about the same as a sealant, then the added time for the glass. The glass took double the time easy. Its that hard to remove the residue. Dealers could price it 750-1250 pending vehicle applied too. Thats plenty of money for time taken, BUT you have to have a certain type of customer to want it. i.e......... NSX, Ferrari, any garage queen, Astons, Maserati, etc.... Someone who is die hard for gloss and keeping their car clean is perfect, just not cheap. Of course a Paint correction is needed before hand for either of these choices. So could reach 2k for some cars. That is pricey, but if a customer had a 7 year old Porsche 911 and for 2k could have it look like brand new or better, I think thats worth it. Just an example.

22PLE could be applied for 3-400 instead, less gloss, but still great, and has 18 month longevity compared to 3-5 years. I don't do enough normal cars to push a Glass coating, but, some of these are not bad for a normal person. DO a heavy 1 step polish, then coat it with glass. The car washes would not mar it as bad from this point, and the finish would be somewhat protected. So its still a value to the customer in the end. Just got to market it correctly so they understand. MOST detailers in your area don't even know what a Glass coating is, let alone the effects and process. You are ahead of the ball game if you read all this.

Working on a write up for the Maserati QP within the next week. HOPE all this information helps answer all the questions.

Post Thanks / Like

That was an awesome writeup. Keep em coming. Thank you sir

Post Thanks / Like

Here are two images of a Modesta Glassed Maserati, will have plenty in a actual write up next week

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast