autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question about pricing/value?

Okay, I don't detail cars for money, strictly my own cars or helping buddies with theirs on occasion.

But I need to get a rough value of the work I did on my wife's SUV recently. Finished it up a couple weeks ago. Last night it got egged. I know who it was (multiple witnesses and security camera footage). It is someone I know well and know his parents. Long story short punk ass high school kid.

I got the egg cleaned off as best as possible and it seems the work I had done helped prevent serious damage (here is a thread with pics after I was done http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...tml#post966070).

There was some permanent damage done in a few places and and three trim pieces that were dented and scratched.

At a minimum the trim pieces need to be replaced and it re-detailed.

What I had done was Iron-X followed by a good scrubbing. Clayed the entire vehicle and then Meguiars 105 followed by 205 and then followed by Pinnacle ASR (trying to be thorough). Roof was done in Opti-Coat 2.0 just because it is a very tall SUV and I was more concerned with protection than appearances. Rest of the vehicle was finished with Black Fire Crystal Seal.

I haven't decided yet if I will redo myself or take to a detailer but the parents of this person are going to be paying fair value for the work to be repeated so I need to get a rough idea of what something like that would cost. The vehicle is a large SUV (Mercedes GL - 7 pass) and if it matters this is in the Seattle area where things tend to cost slightly more.

Thanks for any help.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about pricing/value?

I would say something around $50 an hour times the number of hours you expect it to take.

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever you do I'd make sure to keep records. Record any purchases specific to the repair (such as new trim pieces, or refills on products), and keep track of an approximate materials cost in addition to your labor. I would also categorize it, refer to it as, and tell the parents it's a REPAIR, not a detail. Because it IS a repair. To the average joe, saying they need to pay all this money for a detail sounds like all that happened was it got dirty and you want it clean again. Then they'll think they owe you $10 for the automatic car wash (The typical response to a dirty car!). The car was DAMAGED and thus has to be REPAIRED.

Just my $0.02. Knew a gentleman who got sued after the fact when these individuals decided that they paid too much for the repair (kid threw a rock through his window). Apparently they had a cousin who knew a guy who knew a guy who claimed that a window that size should not have cost that much to replace. Now, he won the case. Bottom line was they agreed upon a price for the damage. That agreement did not include him producing receipts OR shopping around for the cheapest deal. So the case was thrown out. But still! You never know with people.
    2014 Ford Focus SE Sport | 2014 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Convertible | 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE | 2011 Honda Shadow 750 Aero

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, if you wont want it cost you then multiply the time it took you by what you normally make per hour. The average professional detailed would charge $25-$50/hour for that type of work. If you need an invoice/estimate to present to someone then have a local detailer print something up for you. Maybe someone off AGO could help you out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AG Online
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunD View Post
    Yeah, if you wont want it cost you then multiply the time it took you by what you normally make per hour. The average professional detailed would charge $25-$50/hour for that type of work. If you need an invoice/estimate to present to someone then have a local detailer print something up for you. Maybe someone off AGO could help you out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AG Online
    Yeah that was kind of what I was looking for, a ballpark number. I really don't want to do the work again and I work as an IT Consultant and my billable rate for my own work is far in excess of that. I just enjoy working on my own cars. I'd be more likely to take this in and have it done, but wanted a rough idea of what something like this would be from a professional.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Chris I live in Issaquah you can call me if you want and I'll help you out. I usually charge 600-700 for a 2 step.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
    Whatever you do I'd make sure to keep records. Record any purchases specific to the repair (such as new trim pieces, or refills on products), and keep track of an approximate materials cost in addition to your labor. I would also categorize it, refer to it as, and tell the parents it's a REPAIR, not a detail. Because it IS a repair. To the average joe, saying they need to pay all this money for a detail sounds like all that happened was it got dirty and you want it clean again. Then they'll think they owe you $10 for the automatic car wash (The typical response to a dirty car!). The car was DAMAGED and thus has to be REPAIRED.

Just my $0.02. Knew a gentleman who got sued after the fact when these individuals decided that they paid too much for the repair (kid threw a rock through his window). Apparently they had a cousin who knew a guy who knew a guy who claimed that a window that size should not have cost that much to replace. Now, he won the case. Bottom line was they agreed upon a price for the damage. That agreement did not include him producing receipts OR shopping around for the cheapest deal. So the case was thrown out. But still! You never know with people.
    THIS!!!!!!

Seriously, tell them they are paying to have the truck repaired and brought back to it's original condition. They have two choices, 1: shut up and pay the bill when they see it, or 2: you call the cops and press charges, at which point they will STILL pay the bill.

Pricing can be all over the place for a 2-stage paint correction and coating. Minimum would be $50 an hour for a pro up to easily twice that (when you're talking about the coating as well). I know we have a couple of guys here around town that a job like that would cost you $1500 ~$2000 before any replacement parts. Out in your neck of the woods I'm sure pricing would be at least equal to those.

My concern is you stated there is permanent damage. That isn't something that'll "buff out". You should take it to your MB dealership and tell them to get a quote together for the parts, as well as the most expensive detailer they know OR CAN FIND (maybe or maybe not their in-house guy, but tell them you want a full time professional, not the guy out back). I mean I used to know the lead detailer at Atlanta Classic Cars and he was a freak of nature with a buffer. His work was fantastic! Not the 'norm' for sure.

The up-side to it all is after everything is said and done it's just an insurance claim. You call their insurance company and file a claim. They either agree with it, or again; press charges. It wouldn't cost them a dime as there is no deductible when you're the claimant. The other side is you file a claim under your own "uninsured motorist" policy, pay your deductible and give them the bill for whatever that is.

I had a woman some 30 years ago file a claim against my company. We had a minor fender bender on private property, she insisted on calling the cops and when they came they told her it was up to our own insurance to cover the damages. Wasn't on the roadway, and didn't meet their $150 minimum for even writing a ticket so they laughed at her. That fall when our insurance renewed we were hit with the 'claim' on our rates. We called and asked WTH was going on and they said "well you had an accident back in the spring". We were LIVID as we never gave her that information. Come to find out she took my tag number and had someone look it up with the DMV. Freaking crazy person that one was! We told the insurance agent (and company) that they needed to come up with an accident report or FORGET about charging us for the accident. They didn't, and we changed insurance agents and companies!