autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cars that are seldom washed have less swirls

I've washed several cars lately that have almost never been washed. I'm wondering if I just got lucky or if you've also noticed that vehicles that are seldom washed have fewer swirls. The vehicles I cleaned were filthy, which meant there was a huge visual impact in the before and after. I looked closely and the vehicles didn't seem to be swirled and cleaned up very well. Have you also noticed that vehicles that are seldom washed have fewer swirls?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cars that are seldom washed have less swirls

Would make sense... not sure if that is true or not but since most swirls are done by improper washing, if someone never washes the car it has less chances of getting swirled out. On the other hand, a car that is filty has greater chances of being damaged by anything touching it... not sure how it balances out.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've gone to touchless washes at local car wash during winter months and I can tell you for sure I have fewer scratches come spring ...than I did when I was doing winter rinseless washes by hand...no matter how meticulously careful I was.

There is no doubt that we are our own worse enemies when it comes to damaging paint. Since going to coatings I'm not the least bit concerned about using touchless car washes in the winter.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    I've gone to touchless washes at local car wash during winter months and I can tell you for sure I have fewer scratches come spring ...than I did when I was doing winter rinseless washes by hand...no matter how meticulously careful I was.

There is no doubt that we are our own worse enemies when it comes to damaging paint. Since going to coatings I'm not the least bit concerned about using touchless car washes in the winter.
    How well do this clean the car?

Never used one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post

The downside is that touchless car washes use so much pressure that it can force water into areas it should not be. I'd prefer doing it by hand. I've had some swirls come up but with sealant it pretty much keeps the paint golden. I still haven't tried coatings yet! Need to get my car taken care of soon!

Post Thanks / Like

I have notice this as well. I'll admit, I bought my ranger new in 2010. Sense I have owned it, I have maybe washed it 6 times ( I work out of my older taco). Mainly due to I never drive it and it just sits unless im going on a riding trip (has 6k on the od). If you look at the finish they are hardly any swirls, if any. Although when I do wash it, sense its so heavily soiled. I take every precaution when washing it, not to marr the finish.
    "She'll Buff Out"

Addicted To Details
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    These cars may have fewer swirls but they are usually loaded with contaminants that need clayed off.
    Touchless washes don't get the surface nearly as clean as hand washing. They aren't bad in the winter months though.

Post Thanks / Like

Another possible plus:
    Cars that have a build-up of soil/dirt, contaminates, etc., from being seldom washed,
    probably don't have paint with a lot of oxidation/UV-rays damages.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am absolutely convinced that I jacked up the finish on my car when I started using "quick detail" products instead of doing a proper wash. I realized that I'm just not patient and careful enough to properly use these products. Now I wait a few more days and wash using the two bucket method, etc. Driving around in a dirty car is not the end of the world!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    ..... Driving around in a dirty car is not the end of the world!
    Blasphemy!
    John
    Mean people suck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast