autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Still skeptical about Opti-coat...please help straighten me out!

So, I was trying to find the "end-all" thread that would answer this question, but I came up empty, so help me out:

If you apply Opti-coat to a brand new car, does it really last for the lifetime of the car, and you will NEVER have to wax your car ever again? Does it really perform like that? If it's just like a second clearcoat on top of the original clear, wouldn't it fail at some point, just like if you took a brand new car and never waxed it, the clear would eventually fail on it...

I'm just confused as to the claims of it being a permanent coating.

Anyone have experience with this, and is Perma-Plate a similar type of coating?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    My understanding is its permanent in that is wont wash away. I believe you would still have to claybar at least once a year, and polish every 2-3?

I would assume that contamination can still stick to it, making the water not bead or sheet as easily.

The swirling and scratches would be in the Coating, and not the clearcoat, making the clearcoat last longer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Still skeptical about Opti-coat...please help straighten me out!

You can still wax the car to bring out more shine and I have it on my wife car for 2 years and still going strong. As Ken said Opti-coat is like a 2nd so it helps protect the paint. Yes it will fail after some time yes nothing is for ever or paint correction would never be needed. Opti-coat pro has a 5 year warranty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Think if it this way.. even if it only lasts you say 2 years with good care with 2.0, is that not a better way to take care of your car than constantly waxing or sealing it?

The answer to that question is why coatings are quickly becoming as popular as waxes and sealants.

By the way.. even opti coat 2.0 will last you a lot longer than 2 years.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

The following thread may help shed some light upon Opti-Coat's durability:

Review: 4.5 years of Opti Coat (Update) with videos

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    You can still wax the car to bring out more shine and I have it on my wife car for 2 years and still going strong. As Ken said Opti-coat is like a 2nd so it helps protect the paint. Yes it will fail after some time yes nothing is for ever or paint correction would never be needed. Opti-coat pro has a 5 year warranty.
    I did not know about the 5 yr warranty on the pro...that helps to shed some light on the subject...

I was asking this question just to really see, once and for all, if there really was just 1 coating that you could put on your car and never have to apply any other wax/sealant/coating again (with proper washing and maintenance, of course), or is it just not practical to think that the coating will last for over 5 yrs without putting any protection on top of it to make it last longer?

I guess my hesitation comes from the ol' saying: If something sounds too good to be true, then it really isn't...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spike View Post
    I did not know about the 5 yr warranty on the pro...that helps to shed some light on the subject...

I was asking this question just to really see, once and for all, if there really was just 1 coating that you could put on your car and never have to apply any other wax/sealant/coating again (with proper washing and maintenance, of course), or is it just not practical to think that the coating will last for over 5 yrs without putting any protection on top of it to make it last longer?

I guess my hesitation comes from the ol' saying: If something sounds too good to be true, then it really isn't...
    Do check out my thread as provided above by Bob. My car is Opti-Coated when it is new and it is now 4.5 years. And all I do is ONR weekly with occasional top up with OID. And I am living in a country with tropical weather, which means now it can be hot sun, and then sudden downpour, and then hot sun again; which promotes the happening of watermarks etching. But then, do check out the thread for the picts and judge for yourself.

No re-coat, no seal, no wax all in these 4.5 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSP View Post
    Do check out my thread as provided above by Bob. My car is Opti-Coated when it is new and it is now 4.5 years. And all I do is ONR weekly with occasional top up with OID. And I am living in a country with tropical weather, which means now it can be hot sun, and then sudden downpour, and then hot sun again; which promotes the happening of watermarks etching. But then, do check out the thread for the picts and judge for yourself.

No re-coat, no seal, no wax all in these 4.5 years.

Thanks ZeroSP. Wow, that is proof that the coating is really working like it states that it would! I'm so glad you posted the pics and video. It just seemed too good to be true somehow, but your results don't lie!

Post Thanks / Like

Take a close look at and consider the terms and conditions of the warranty. If you can adhere precisely to those terms and conditions, the product should last the current rated life of a car's paint system.

If not and it can be proven the fault of the product then I guess you'd have a case for repair or replacement of it.

With the recent surge of coatings coming to the market the Opti-Coat Pro authorized installer thing seems more complicated than what I want to be involved in, so if I use any Optimum coatings into the future it'll be regular old consumer grade Opti-Coat 2.0

I absolutely tortured my coating of 2.0 worse than any average Joe would and it lasted over 2 years so that's all I'm willing to advertise for it's life span on a customer's car. If treated sweetly I'm sure it would last a lot longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spike View Post
    Thanks ZeroSP. Wow, that is proof that the coating is really working like it states that it would! I'm so glad you posted the pics and video. It just seemed too good to be true somehow, but your results don't lie!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast