autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best bulk soap for semi trucks?

Busted/leaking seals, fuel runs on the tanks (lacquered looking heavy stains), heavily sooted cabs, sleepers, and fairings are the norm when fleet washing. Especially 50 semi-trucks.

Just for today...my name is Bennet ~ and I ain't in it...

Back to your regularly scheduled thread I'm out.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HateSwirls View Post
    Why did I wait until the last minute ?
    Simple, I just read it.
    Use what you wish, I'm just giving my 2 cents worth.

The OP was asking about a soap, he too thought using such a degreaser could be too harsh.

Btw. He didn't mention anything about busted seals!!!!
    i dont think you read the message right. Its wasnt meant towards you...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for clarifying

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
    i dont think you read the message right. Its wasnt meant towards you...

Post Thanks / Like

There is more than one type of purple power to use. One isn't recommended by the company for use on paint...and that's the industrial type. Not only does it say so (that it's not to be used on paint) on the package I was told so by a rep of the company.

That's not to say it can't be diluted enough to be safe as virtually any product can be diluted enough. However...

...not only will I attest to the experiences that Vegas has cleaning big mother truckers...he spent 19 years driving them. The point...if he says he uses purple power (regardless of version) it might be wise to ask him which one and a what dilution. As for a company recommendation...well they are just that...a recommendation.

I usually recommend against using Purple Power Industrial on Automotive paint simply because I know that it can eat right through the factory aluminum seal on the container, plus I try to follow labels and manufacturers suggestions. However (once again), I don't have the experience cleaning big rigs like Vegas does. I've spent a good amount of time behind the wheel of them myself though. I said all that to say this...big rig paint is far tougher than auto paint in my experience. Think about it...that average truck driver puts more miles in his rig in one year than most auto's will see in a lifetime...so naturally everything from the rubber to the paint is built for that kind of abuse.

If you're looking for a soap that might fit what you're wanting to do...save money by being economical, yet do a good job...then you might take a look at Malco. Malco offers many 'fleet strength' soaps and degreasers...but a good suggestion from an experienced forum member will go a long way in helping you as well.

Hope that helps.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I do a commercial fleet account. 10 semi's every two weeks. Concrete trucks. The semi's get washed and the trailers get rinsed off with the pressure washer.

I use 3D pink car soap for the washing, APC+ in a pressure sprayer to pre soak the bugs on the front bumpers. Works fine for me.

Take in mind though, neither my client or I are looking for perfection in any way. He basically wants them to look "clean", and I charge him accordingly.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HateSwirls View Post
    OP

If you need a cheap but good degreaser go to your local Dollar Tree, there you'll find Totally Awesome APC, I've used it on my clear coated wheels without any problems, best part is it only cost $1.00 per bottle, mix it however you think you need the strength.

This is ok to use however if you just buy a 5gal tub of soap from your local store or online dealer you may pay $40-$125 it. That should last the 50 trucks and you will easily make the money on that. I think your not looking hard and if that's a task you are in store for a treat at truck 10 when your tired of detailing. Good luck with the huge task you've taken on.

I bought my 5gals of soap at a local industrial cleaning store for $40 with my 25% discount and it is super sudsy. Cant tell you how nice it is to just use as much soap as you want and foam the cars like crazy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Transplant View Post
    I agree.
    I've been following the OP's posts for a while now.
    Waiting for his class 8 debut thread.
    Why did you wait til the last minute OP?
    Hope that you don't run into one on your first day that's had a rear seal, tranny, fuel, oil, etc., leak. Gonna really mess up your day.
    Vegas, there was some issues in the deal and then it sprung back up and they wanted us right away. Were just looking for a soap to get us thru the weekend until we can get something ordered in. Theyre really just looking to get the grime and dirt off the trucks and have them looking washed, not a detail or anything of the sort.

You mentioned diluting purple power in with your soap. Mind telling me your measurements of dilution?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

I've been washing/polishing/sealing class 8 vehicles since 1985. I did the FreightShaker a couple weeks ago and the T-2 a week or so before that.

I use 5 gallon rolling mop buckets mop buckets, $40 8-16' fiberglass extension pole (I have one that's 23' for use on long aero models such as the 2002 T 2000 in my photo which was posted on the what you did detailing today thread), bi-level split bristle truck wash brushes, Bug Blocks, semi-circular stack brushes.

I've been doing it so long that I eyeball measure my pour into the bucket...depending on the severity of the grime. But no more than 8-10 oz per bucket. I also have a bucket that I mix 25 % (no soap) just for troubled areas such as the back wall of the sleeper, side fender-skirts, frames, and cat walks which pick up most of the nasty if there was an injector leak or such.

I also use the wash and wax that I pm'ed you. If you mix the degreaser too strongly, then it will affect the "shine" ingredient of the wash-n-wax.

Lastly, if you're planning on using wash mitts, you're gonna get soaked because much of your work is overhead and will run down your arms.

Do yourself a favor and go to youtube to view modern class 8 wash videos. Go by any Blue Beacon Truck wash to get an idea of what you're up against.

EDIT: I checked my AGO photo gallery. T-2 uploaded Sept 29. FreightShaker Oct 13.
    Just get a gallon of wash and wax OTC for now. Mix it strongly, several oz per bucket, or use a foam cannon. Keep the vehicle wet and do not let the soap dry on the paint.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Purple (whatever) is/can be harsh. Not that you can't use it on a big rig, but at a very mild dilution. I'd say if you just want to get through the weekend grab some Dawn, some sort of APC or APC+ and do a mix.

Get yourself a couple of pump sprayers. Mix a stronger dilution of APC / Purple / Dawn for the frame and back of the rig. Mix another one without the purple for the bodywork.

Heck you can even use good old aluminum brightener (hydrofluoric acid) mixed @ 8:1 with water, add in some APC+ or purple whatever (no more than 2oz per gallon of water) and spray that on the frame and back. Keep it AWAY from polished aluminum!!! I cleaned trucks like this for the 18 years I owned my towing business. Heck I used aluminum brightener @ 4:1 on aluminum beds and it would clean anything and everything. Busted transmissions leaking, burned cars, burned tires, antifreeze, you name it. Do need to stay upwind of that mess though as it is VERY TOXIC to your lungs.

The good thing is that OTR trucks have some of the hardest paint on the planet. Long poles and scrub brushes are the norm.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KyleP View Post
    My company starts washing semis this weekend. We don't reallt have any capital built up yet so everything is out of our own pockets. We need a bulk soap that can wash at least 50 trucks and be cheap. A place recommened purple power degreaser but I don't think that will be good just as a soap right? Seems like it would be harsh on the paint? Any recommendations? Something that will be at a local walmart/home depot, etc.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AG Online

How hard is it to google truck wash chemicals?

And it doesn't sound like you want "the best" is sounds like you want "the cheapest"

Nothing like waiting till the last minute LOL!!
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast