autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to buy a used car?

Everyone is talking about sneaky dealers slipping fees and extras into the contract. That is 110% avoidable. Negotiate a price, read EVERYTHING before you sign it, and be clear about what you want.

Also, just a heads up with dealers; most dealers make more money on USED cars than NEW. There is a lot of room for negotiation; don't let them convince you there isn't!

And yes, I know this guy is a spammer; but it's an interesting conversation nonetheless. Even if you have gobs of money buying used is something lots of guys and gals do and it's good to have the skills to do it well. There's a lot of cars you CAN'T buy new anymore; plus, sometimes it's a way to get a killer deal! Buddy of mine got an off-lease Corvette with 12,000 miles on it (1 year lease) for a big chunk of change off of the price. Of course; there's a lot to look for! When a guy leases a car for 12 months; how well is he going to care for it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post

Also, just a heads up with dealers; most dealers make more money on USED cars than NEW. There is a lot of room for negotiation; don't let them convince you there isn't!

True, but remember buy a used car is different and if the dealership has a really nice car they know they are going to sell it for what they want.

Maybe not to that one person on that day, but they WILL sell it and they WILL get what they want for it.

The really nice ones don't sit around long from what I have seen.

There might be some room to negotiate, but not a lot...

That depends on the dealership though, and if they are desperate to unload it quick or not.

I have seen customers just get run off, the sales person will just say nope, not going to happen, this is the price and that's it....... And then turn around an sell it for the asking price to somebody else that day.

The used cars that I sold I got full sticker for MOST of the time, I mostly sold New cars though, loved to get a used car sale....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jankerson View Post
    True, but remember buy a used car is different and if the dealership has a really nice car they know they are going to sell it for what they want.

Maybe not to that one person on that day, but they WILL sell it and they WILL get what they want for it.

The really nice ones don't sit around long from what I have seen.

There might be some room to negotiate, but not a lot...

That depends on the dealership though, and if they are desperate to unload it quick or not.

I have seen customers just get run off, the sales person will just say nope, not going to happen, this is the price and that's it....... And then turn around an sell it for the asking price to somebody else that day.

The used cars that I sold I got full sticker for MOST of the time, I mostly sold New cars though, loved to get a used car sale....
    Well, actually you bring up a good point; if you're looking for a good deal, what car you choose is just as important. Ford GT is a FANTASTIC example. Brand-new MSRP of around $140k. Good LUCK getting a used one under $200k.

Likewise you may find a good price on a nice used Corolla or a car with a less popular paint color. But a Red Mustang Convertible or a Corvette or anything like that? Absolutely, someone WILL buy it for sticker. (Not me though; I never pay sticker! LOL).

It's amazing the deals you can get if you ask though. I'm not pushy, and I'm not rude. It's just business. I know what I want, the salesman knows what he wants, we just try and meet in the middle somewhere. My last three purchases were my new daily driver (MSRP $22k; paid $16.7k new), my Vulcan 900 (Asking $7k, paid $5k used) and my wifes Honda Shadow (MSRP $10k, paid $6k new [model year leftover]). I passed up a lot of less than stellar deals to get to those. Not that those are necessarily earth shattering good deals, but my point is, I didn't pay sticker because I shopped around, didn't buy uber popular vehicles and researched before I went in. I do my 'shopping' elsewhere. When I go to a dealer, I'm there to BUY. Just gotta find the guy who wants to write up the paperwork!

Another tip that I've heard (but never used), is to shop one dealer and buy at another. Kinda seems a little unfair to the 'shop' dealer though. But with the internet, there's no need to ask a salesman questions or anything else. Test drives, sure. But I've never had a salesman seem less willing to deal AFTER I've driven the car. (I guess the theory being, don't show interest in the vehicle, leading the salesman to believe he can hold out for more dough).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    No dealer is going to give you the name of the old owner of the car and a car fax is a total joke really.
    Not so. I have a client/friend who was put in contact with the owner that traded in a truck he was looking at. Its pretty easy either way to look in the glove box and find previous owner(s) info.
    Car fax is for honest people, so take that for what it's worth. You should definitely search the vehicles vin online,as well as, search for complaints and problems the particular vehicle is known to have. Stay away from place that offer financing for everyone and that claim they can get any vehicle you are looking for in the exact condition you want.
    Do you home work and take your time. And always stay in your budget. If you don't have a budget, then that's a good sign as to what you can't afford.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AG Online
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Well, actually you bring up a good point; if you're looking for a good deal, what car you choose is just as important. Ford GT is a FANTASTIC example. Brand-new MSRP of around $140k. Good LUCK getting a used one under $200k.

Likewise you may find a good price on a nice used Corolla or a car with a less popular paint color. But a Red Mustang Convertible or a Corvette or anything like that? Absolutely, someone WILL buy it for sticker. (Not me though; I never pay sticker! LOL).

It's amazing the deals you can get if you ask though. I'm not pushy, and I'm not rude. It's just business. I know what I want, the salesman knows what he wants, we just try and meet in the middle somewhere. My last three purchases were my new daily driver (MSRP $22k; paid $16.7k new), my Vulcan 900 (Asking $7k, paid $5k used) and my wifes Honda Shadow (MSRP $10k, paid $6k new [model year leftover]). I passed up a lot of less than stellar deals to get to those. Not that those are necessarily earth shattering good deals, but my point is, I didn't pay sticker because I shopped around, didn't buy uber popular vehicles and researched before I went in. I do my 'shopping' elsewhere. When I go to a dealer, I'm there to BUY. Just gotta find the guy who wants to write up the paperwork!

Another tip that I've heard (but never used), is to shop one dealer and buy at another. Kinda seems a little unfair to the 'shop' dealer though. But with the internet, there's no need to ask a salesman questions or anything else. Test drives, sure. But I've never had a salesman seem less willing to deal AFTER I've driven the car. (I guess the theory being, don't show interest in the vehicle, leading the salesman to believe he can hold out for more dough).

That shopping at one dealer and buying from another is one of those tips they find on the web... They go in and waste the sales persons time getting whatever deal they can get. Then they get that quote and use that quote at another dealership to try and force an even better deal.

It's a real time waster and those are the problem customers that the sales people just don't want to deal with....

They will match the price no doubt, because that's easy, anything more than that just won't happen without a very long drawn out process if at all.

I used to just tell them I would match it and that was it, bottom line, period.....

They would either buy or leave and I didn't care what they chose to do.

Post Thanks / Like

That shopping at one dealer and buying from another is one of those tips they find on the web... They go in and waste the sales persons time getting whatever deal they can get. Then they get that quote and use that quote at another dealership to try and force an even better deal.

It's a real time waster and those are the problem customers that the sales people just don't want to deal with....

They will match the price no doubt, because that's easy, anything more than that just won't happen without a very long drawn out process if at all.

I used to just tell them I would match it and that was it, bottom line, period.....

They would either buy or leave and I didn't care what they chose to do.
    Yup. I never liked that one. Same with trying on shoes at the shoestore then buying them online. If you needed that brick and mortar business for some service, then they deserve your business. Otherwise, they'll be out of business and you won't have them to mooch on any longer!

On the CarFax thing; I don't trust CarFax at all. On my old car, I slid on the ice (was at a complete stop, but car started sliding backwards and sideways after a few seconds in a freak ice storm!), the wheel slammed into the concrete median and it bent the A-arm and damaged a tie rod. Got it all fixed (new wheel, tire rod, and A-arm). When I sold it, I was up front about that. But it wasn't on Carfax. That's because I didn't take it to a dealer! I took it to a trusted local shop that does great work for a fraction-of-a-fraction of the price the dealer would have charged. But they don't report to Carfax!

Post Thanks / Like

My recommendation is give the car a really good look over on your own. Check the body, paint, under carriage, engine compartment for any signs of body work, overspray on moldings, etc. Look the car over in general for previous care. Does it look like it was cared for cosmetically? If so there is a good chance it was cared for mechanically. Do all the tires match and have tread, and or show even wear? Drive the car. Does it feel tight? Steering tight with no play? Transmission shift as it should? No strange creeks or rattles? Open the trunk and look under the liner for any hidden surprises like water damage or frame repair. Also check under the car or engine for fluid leaks.

If your budget allows, dealers offer "certified" used cars which usually mean the factory warrantee is extended and the cars supposably have been checked.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup. I never liked that one. Same with trying on shoes at the shoestore then buying them online. If you needed that brick and mortar business for some service, then they deserve your business. Otherwise, they'll be out of business and you won't have them to mooch on any longer!

On the CarFax thing; I don't trust CarFax at all. On my old car, I slid on the ice (was at a complete stop, but car started sliding backwards and sideways after a few seconds in a freak ice storm!), the wheel slammed into the concrete median and it bent the A-arm and damaged a tie rod. Got it all fixed (new wheel, tire rod, and A-arm). When I sold it, I was up front about that. But it wasn't on Carfax. That's because I didn't take it to a dealer! I took it to a trusted local shop that does great work for a fraction-of-a-fraction of the price the dealer would have charged. But they don't report to Carfax!

What used to get me was these people are wasting the sales peoples time AND their own just to save what?

A few bucks spread out over a 5 or 6 year period?

They could spend 4+ hours at the 1st dealership to get their best deal, then leave and spend who knows how long at the 2nd or third dealership......

Sometimes the things people do just make no since at all, and then they complain about their experience that they created....

Stupid...... And most of the reason why I got out a long time ago and will never go back....

I really hate stupidity.....

Post Thanks / Like

What used to get me was these people are wasting the sales peoples time AND their own just to save what?

A few bucks spread out over a 5 or 6 year period?

They could spend 4+ hours at the 1st dealership to get their best deal, then leave and spend who knows how long at the 2nd or third dealership......

Sometimes the things people do just make no since at all, and then they complain about their experience that they created....

Stupid......
    Complaining or arguing about the price is one thing I don't get. Like when I bought my wifes bike, I was very up front with the salesman. I said I wasn't really interested in new because it was my wifes first motorcycle; and who knows? Maybe she'll turn around and decide she'd rather just keep riding on the back of mine and we'll sell it. Would be awfully silly to take all of that new depreciation just to sell it. But he wanted to sell me this 2011 leftover, because the 2012's were out and the 2013's were a few weeks away. So I told him, at $6,000, I wouldn't take too much depreciation if she decided she didn't like it after a year or something. He thought about it, he said "You know I'll lose money on that", I asked him "How much have you already lost on it sitting here?" he kind of laughed and said "Deal". No arguing. If he said no? No big deal. I might ask him to show me what used bikes they had, or shopped elsewhere. Was a 10 minute conversation. No arguing, no being rude. I've had dealers who wouldn't budge on price. Not a dime. So I moved on. Didn't argue with them or call them names.

But, I've been in dealers where people are IRATE and just SCREAMING at salesmen over a few bucks. Watched one guy storm out and not buy a truck because the salesman wouldn't take off the state-mandated $7.50 temporary tag fee. He said he didn't want a temp tag, he wanted to take the plates off of his trade-in and use them. Which, of course, is illegal. (At least, until he actually transfers the plates at the DMV.) Some $40,000 truck and he was making a fool of himself over $8. And if that temp tag fee really was a deal breaker; then just move on. Why cause a fuss over it?

People are strange, that's for sure. I don't mind working to negotiate a deal. Obviously, I do the same. But it's friendly, respectful, professional. Why is that so hard?

Post Thanks / Like

Complaining or arguing about the price is one thing I don't get. Like when I bought my wifes bike, I was very up front with the salesman. I said I wasn't really interested in new because it was my wifes first motorcycle; and who knows? Maybe she'll turn around and decide she'd rather just keep riding on the back of mine and we'll sell it. Would be awfully silly to take all of that new depreciation just to sell it. But he wanted to sell me this 2011 leftover, because the 2012's were out and the 2013's were a few weeks away. So I told him, at $6,000, I wouldn't take too much depreciation if she decided she didn't like it after a year or something. He thought about it, he said "You know I'll lose money on that", I asked him "How much have you already lost on it sitting here?" he kind of laughed and said "Deal". No arguing. If he said no? No big deal. I might ask him to show me what used bikes they had, or shopped elsewhere. Was a 10 minute conversation. No arguing, no being rude. I've had dealers who wouldn't budge on price. Not a dime. So I moved on. Didn't argue with them or call them names.

But, I've been in dealers where people are IRATE and just SCREAMING at salesmen over a few bucks. Watched one guy storm out and not buy a truck because the salesman wouldn't take off the state-mandated $7.50 temporary tag fee. He said he didn't want a temp tag, he wanted to take the plates off of his trade-in and use them. Which, of course, is illegal. (At least, until he actually transfers the plates at the DMV.) Some $40,000 truck and he was making a fool of himself over $8. And if that temp tag fee really was a deal breaker; then just move on. Why cause a fuss over it?

People are strange, that's for sure. I don't mind working to negotiate a deal. Obviously, I do the same. But it's friendly, respectful, professional. Why is that so hard?
    I think a lot of it is because some people think they are more important than they really are. Like the world revolves around them, a lot of that going around.

I have and known Millionaires that are the cheapest jerks I have ever seen and they will fight you over a penny..

Also people that will drive 20 Miles just to save a few cents when they are burning up a lot more in gas just to get there.

There are a lot of idiots out there....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.