autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

new 2014 camry recomendations

picking up my Wifes new Camry se Thursday. It is Barcelona red with black and grey interior. What do you recommend for the first body detailing? I think it ha the Toyoguard already done to it whatever that is? Is the paint clear coated? I do have a porter cable polisher and a stahs of pinnacle, wolfgang and 303 products that I will be using and need pad colors selection info as well. Off to work will check back tonight as well as the website videos.
    Thanks inadvance for your interest and recommendations.
    Drew

Post Thanks / Like

Re: new 2014 camry recomendations

I would recommend the Baggie test after a wash and dry. If you fined contamination use some trix from carpro and clay it up.
    Paint is soft and sticky with most compounds I used dodoo supernatural paint cleaner on my avalon and was happy with that.. Do a test spot.
    Any sealant wax or coating will do I used carpro reload on mine..good luck with the new car.

Post Thanks / Like

Toyogaurd appears to be some sort of sealant, probably no different than any of the products you can buy here and maybe not as good.

If you want to leave it, you can probably wait until it wears off in a few months before doing the full detail. Otherwise, I'd do like mbkite said and do the full detail process. Start with wash and clay to get it clean. From there, if there are dealer installed swirls, you'll probably need to hit it with a light polish to knock them out and strip the Toyoguard away. If you don't need to correct any swirls, I'd just use a paint cleaner to get the Toyoguard off. Either way you go, when those steps are over, top with the sealant/wax of your choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Toyo Guard is a cleaner/sealant. It is usually in the glove box as it comes with the car. Nothing special. After trying it I gave it away.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Since it has the Toyotaguard (assuming that is some kind of paint sealant as others have suggested), I would say to let it ride until spring then do a full detail on it. In the spring, wash, ironx/tarx, clay, spot correct, polish, seal.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

great info from you all!

Post Thanks / Like

Recommendations? Unwind on the Camry and get an Accord! Accord is miles better.

But if you must have the Camry, try to see if you can cancel the Toyoguard and do your own coating. I'm sure others can advise on coatings

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2012 Camry SE and the user above me is absolutely wrong. The Accord is a nice car but after the 2013 update is now comparable to the Camry. I'm not going to be a flame troll by saying the Accord is anything but an excellent car, but it's not "miles better" than the Camry, unless it's a 1,000 mile race and 500 miles of it is purely subjective. Also, I'm 6'7" and the Honda feels like a clown car but the Camry has plenty of room.

Anyways, back to the Camry- the SE has the body kit that is a PITA to keep clean. By the time you get the car you'll see what I'm talking about by looking into the doorjambs. Avoid the temptation to polish brand BRAND new paint and baggie test, clay it if you must, and seal it all over (including the doorjambs).

All the interior hard plastic looks stunning with a coat of CG VRP, IMO.

Wheels are painted on the SE and would do great with sealant also.

Cheers,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

This thread was about the 2014 MY, not 2012. Don't take my word for it. Take one of the largest automotive publications word for it.

Car and Driver Ten Best, click first link

But if you didn't notice, the Accord made the list in 2012 but not the Camry.

Seriously though, if a family member was looking for a new car, i'd point them towards a Honda or Toyota.

P.S. take your car to Servco Toyota cause a major recall just popped up for your car. Tens of millions of MAJOR recalls in the last several years.

Toyota recalls 803K US vehicles for air bag defect - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Automotive journalists and I have nothing in common, so I'm not impressed by anything Car, Driver, Bribe & Track Reports might publish. My personal rig is a '95 F-150 with 310k miles and an inline six motor that runs on hydrocracked journalist tears.

The new Accords are excellent now, were in 2012, but they're still clown cars for tall people.

Still, the argument is invalid because our man has a Camry on the way so there is absolutely no sense in saying anything else. Enjoy your accord.

...and wash, maybe clay, and seal that new Camry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast