autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

WGDGPS and bonding questions

I'm rather new to posting but have been learning quite a bit. I have WGDGPS 3.0 and also a diluted KHGSG mix that I use as a Qd. I also use Colli845 from time to time.

I really haven't gotten into chemical paint cleaners aside from my sample of WGPPE.

After using my ksg mixture Qd a bunch over the past few weeks, I applied my first coat of wgdgps to half of my hood around 10am. Put it on real thin, about 4 dime sized drops, by hand, on a yellow foam pad, waited 25 mins or so, then buffed off.

I am at work so my car is facing the sun, hoping it would "speed up" the cure time on the wg. I went outside around 1:30pm and noticed that if I lightly wipe that side of the hood, it smudges, almost like its a later of oily residue.

I know it's supposed to be oily but I thought it would at least be slick and bonded enough to where it wouldn't smudge.

My questions are:
    Is it completely necessary to have the paint free of ALL chemicals, my ksg qd layers included?
    Should I use WGPPE every time I want to apply a new sealant?
    And this smudging, what would be the cause of this?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: WGDGPS and bonding questions

I've never and would never suggest applying Wolfgang to anything but bare paint. That's how you'll get the best from it, application to a squeaky cleans surface free of anything. So the QD self mix you're using probably is screwing it up. Plus have you clayed or cleaned the paint? These things need to be done at minimum to ensure you'll get the most from your product. You cant just throw it on a hope for the best.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I cleaned the paint, clay and all. I had stripped the paint via WGPPE before my initial layer of ksg and had applied it twice more before I put the wgdgps. Just wondering if the smudgyness (sp?) was because of my lack of prep or something else.

But the verdict is to ALWAYS have clean, bare paint, prior to application of wgdgps?

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently applied it to a white van.

Wash
    Iron x
    Wash
    Clay
    Rinse
    Polish
    Rinse
    WGDGPS

Slick

It is hard to to see smudges on white paint though

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't put down your KSG before applying WGDGPS. It bonds well to bare clean paint and I always leave it on 45 minutes before buffing off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk now Free

Post Thanks / Like

That oily feel you feel is normal. I have a thread I started back when I first used WGDGPS for the very first time and had the same question you have about the feel. It looks very bad when there is a layer of dust on your car and something accidentally lightly swipes that layer of dust, the dust piles up and looks like a smudge.

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant opinions/questions

That oily feel will go away after your first wash but still just as slick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    I've never and would never suggest applying Wolfgang to anything but bare paint.
    Aside from the fact that I mentioned in the other similar thread today that I've used KAIO + WG DGPS 3.0 together with no issues (as far as I can tell), the Wolfgang brand themselves market two other products designed to be applied before the paint sealant:
    Finishing Glaze 3.0 (if you needed correction)
    Paintwork Polish Enhancer (if you didn't)

I haven't read anything in the Wolfgang documentation that suggests either of those products need to be completely exterminated from the paint before you apply their sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
    Aside from the fact that I mentioned in the other similar thread today that I've used KAIO + WG DGPS 3.0 together with no issues (as far as I can tell), the Wolfgang brand themselves market two other products designed to be applied before the paint sealant:
    Finishing Glaze 3.0 (if you needed correction)
    Paintwork Polish Enhancer (if you didn't)

I haven't read anything in the Wolfgang documentation that suggests either of those products need to be completely exterminated from the paint before you apply their sealant.
    You seem confused. Those are polishes. You wipe them off after using them. You don't leave them on the paint you wipe down or wipe them off revealing bare paint. You then apply the sealant. Also what documentation? It's pretty standard here, I'd say 100% of folks wipe and remove all products from paint before applying any protection to the surface.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    You seem confused. Those are polishes. You wipe them off after using them. You don't leave them on the paint you wipe down or wipe them off revealing bare paint. You then apply the sealant. Also what documentation? It's pretty standard here, I'd say 100% of folks wipe and remove all products from paint before applying any protection to the surface.
    No I am most certainly not confused. Of course you wipe the product off, whether you're talking polishes and/or paint cleaners. You wipe off Klasse AIO just like any other so what exactly is your point? What's the difference?

WG even advertises PPE as having fillers so using that before DGPS isn't technically "bare paint" either.

Post Thanks / Like

You have no location listed with your profile Are you in Sannibel Island, Florida, or Barrow, Alaska?

A lot of products "don't like seeing sunlight", and WGDGPS 3.0 is most likely one of them. Next time, try using the product in the shade. Let it set up at least a 1/2 hour.

First time I used this, I let it sit 40-45 minutes, applied by hand (under a carport), applied to the entire vehicle, and I have to say, it was one of the easiest products I've ever used.

It wiped off clean, right now. With one single pass of the towel, what was exposed was glossy slick paint, absolutely no residues, no films, no haze, nothing left behind.

Where you see a vid of Mike Phillips "breaking" a wax, or sealant with his MF towel, that's exactly what I experienced. So effortless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast