autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Scotchgard or 303 Fabric Guard?

I recently shampooed the carpet of my new car and then used Scotchgard. The problem with Scotchgard is it made my carpet much stiffer (took the softness out). Is this common and is there a way to reverse it? Is Scotchgard the best or would 303 Fabric Guard work better even though its description doesn't mention carpet?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Scotchgard but I dalute it, seems to be working okay. I haven't noticed the carpets getting all stiff. I've been looking at 303 Fabric Guard as well, interested to see what other members here will say.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Scotchgard I found was a foam. How did you dalute yours?

Post Thanks / Like
    I got to try one from Poorboys not to long ago, great product but I dont think it ever made it to mass market.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Two months ago I went to a farm to detail two brand new farm F-350's. One per week. They were real generic; rubber flooring, cloth seats. He wanted something on the seats so that he could wash/wipe off the dirt. I used 303 Fabric Guard. When I went back the second week I said lets try something. We spilled a whole glass of water on his new seats. It just rolled off. Not a drop soaked into the material. It didn't seem to make it stiff.
    Here's something to be cautious about. I applied it wearing short sleves and must have had some mist blow back on my arms. It closes all of your pores. My arms itched and had sores for about a week.

Post Thanks / Like
    from what I've heard, you'll get MUCH longer durability from 303.

Quote from AG - "Silicone Fabric Guards may repel water just as well as this product, but that’s where the similarities end. This fabric guard will also repel oil, soil, grease, and dust. Silicone treated fabric lasts on average 2-3 months, as compared to High Tech Guard that protects for up to three years."
    Last edited by dengood1; 06-19-2007 at 09:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use and absolutly love 303 Fabric Gaurd (Thanks for the tip Sparkie) I treated the entire interior of my wifes Fusion allmost 3 months ago. Well I keep forgeting to reapply the darn thing, anywho she recently spilled some water and told me it's still working. How so I asked, she said she spilled a little water and had to go get a paper towel (inside the house) to clean it. She said it barely absorbed anything. Most of it sat on top. Needless to say I'm impressed and hooked for life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nica
    I use Scotchgard but I dalute it, seems to be working okay. I haven't noticed the carpets getting all stiff. I've been looking at 303 Fabric Guard as well, interested to see what other members here will say.
    Yah Nica,
    How did you dilute it? Scotchguard is in a spray can.

Did not seem to stiffen up my interior...and they call my color "cashmere" - so you see the potential for destruction! LOL!
    Share, Nica, share!
    ~Lulu~

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wytstang
    I use and absolutly love 303 Fabric Gaurd (Thanks for the tip Sparkie) I treated the entire interior of my wifes Fusion allmost 3 months ago. Well I keep forgeting to reapply the darn thing, anywho she recently spilled some water and told me it's still working. How so I asked, she said she spilled a little water and had to go get a paper towel (inside the house) to clean it. She said it barely absorbed anything. Most of it sat on top. Needless to say I'm impressed and hooked for life.
    What I've seen 303 Fabric Gaurd last longer.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the comments.

Maybe I used too much SG causing the carpet to stiffen? I ordered some 303 to try out this weakened. I'll be detailing my parents old Saturn. It’s an old car they never drive. The interior is pretty bad and the leather seats are dry as a bone. The Saturn should be a challenge for this newbie, its good car to test new products on. I’ll post some before and after pics when I’m finished.

Will I need to dilute the 303 to get into the carpet fibers and if so how much?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast