autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Quick Thoughts on cheap claybar

Hi all! I know I have not posted much on the forums, I'm just an avid reader. But, recently, I had run out of my medium clay magic clay and wanted to buy some more. So, I bought one more bar of medium clay magic at my local detail shop (21.95/bar) and then purchased some "3M 38070 180G Clay Bar" From AliExpress. It was a hell of a deal, 5 clay bars for 21.xx shipped to California. Lol. It took a little over two weeks to arrive but, when I used it with CG Clay Lube & ONR, It seemed to work very well. A little more aggressive than the purple medium ClayMagic, but not as aggressive as Megs red clay. I was claying off fallout off my license plate area and my entire rear bumper with ease (somewhere around 3 passes to remove all the fall out per 3-5inch area). I did not notice any micro marring and I was in direct sunlight. I just thought it would be nice to give a thought on some overseas clay bar.

http://i43.tinypic.com/anftjl.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2w7fvqv.jpg
    Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Davidle1787; 10-05-2013 at 03:48 PM. Reason: pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quick Thoughts on cheap claybar

I'd be willing to bet an entire 3 Musketeer Candy Bar (King Size) that 3M's Perfect-It III Cleaner Clay (38070) is an Auto Magic Clay Bar.

Glad you found a less expensive source/vendor, from whom you are willing to patiently wait upon this clay's arrival!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Next time try nanoskin stuff. You'll love it more
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

I had looked at those a while back. They're knockoff clay bars right? They also have knockoff nano skin scrub pads/mitts for like $20. That's awesome that they actually worked!

Post Thanks / Like

aliexpress is nice and cheap until you have problems with a seller... so much counterfeit stuff on there, took me 3 months to get a refund for a 16gb memory card that was in fact a reprogrammed 1gb card... and now the seller keeps sending me paypal request to get paid... and hate mail! lol

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    Next time try nanoskin stuff. You'll love it more

I hear horror stories and then I hear its the SHIZZLE as well. Not gonna be a ginnie tho

Post Thanks / Like
    You're not going to be a guinea pig testing it out, unless you mean testing it out from that seller

Post Thanks / Like

@FunX725 - I will double down on the 3Musketeers. I wouldn't doubt that Auto Magic just sells their stuff to 3M and they just increase the price , branding at its best. Thank you ! I just thought I would let others know about some other alternatives .

@Cleanmycorolla - I was actually planning on trying the SM Arnold Speedy Prep towel or the Nanoskin, but I enjoy feeling the nitty gritty of claying. Old habits die young, even though I just started a few years ago, hahaha.

@Kengo123 - I am super happy they worked too. I def. bit the bullet on the purchase. I read around AG and autopia for opinions and it was around 60% "NO" and 40% "Test your luck" lol. I took that 40 and am pretty damn satisfied.

@Octane - THAT is exactly what I was worried about. I have seen so many bad reviews about Alibaba/Aliexpress that I didn't want to make a big purchase. I figured, if i get screwed on it... 20 bucks isn't bad vs others who have lost 500-thousands. Man, that is terrible. I would honestly keep my electronic purchases to Amazon, eBay, TigerDirect or local stores: Fry's, Best Buy... etc. Lol, I would be mad about those annoying emails. Call PayPal! Harassment!!!

@Stilltipping3 - Most definitely true.

@mark89xlt - True that. Lol .

If you guys or gals are interested in the seller I would be more than happy to PM you the link.

Thanks for the replys! it is good to know I'm not getting flamed for this like other forums.....! I'll be posting more things and some better reviews.. I plan on working on a friends Jet Black 335i.. never been washed since purchased... Unless you count rain water >_>.