autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Coatings that add scratch resistance

Optimum Opti-coat

"Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 uses a resin technology that forms a permanent bond to paint and cures, just like an extra layer of clear coat."

Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 Permanent Paint Coating

That "extra layer of clear coat" would theoretically prolong the effective life of the factory clearcoat, so that's a good thing.

GTechniq C1

"The sub-micron crystalline film formed by Gtechniq C1 Crystal Lacquer is rock hard, which helps to prevent marring and wash-induced swirl marks. Gtechniq extensively tested Gtechniq C1 Crystal Lacquer against other waxes and sealants and found 50% less marring on C1 treated surfaces."

GTechniq C1 Crystal Lacquer

Is GTechniq using cleaver wording by stating that they tested C1 against other waxes and sealants, instead of testing against other "Coatings", or am I reading too much into it?

The idea of a permanent coating like Opti-Coat is great, but I would trade longevity for swirl protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coatings that add scratch resistance

Actually, as a general statement of purpose, all coating provide some added protection to marring and scratches but this needs to be further qualified that it is in comparison to CERTAIN clears (much better compared to the infamous black Porsche paint, but similar or lesser than a custom german ceramic clear)

OC 2.0, Gtechniq, 22ple, CQuartz, DP's coating etc... unfortunately have never truly been tested or compared for scratch resistance. On the other hand, the claims and the reviews so far do tend to substantiate the OC "permanent" claims and the 2 years of semi-permanent products like CQuartz.

Just to add one more component to add to your dilemna is the ease of application.... I'll let you research a little on that.

P.S. The only test I have seen so far regarding scratch resistance was CQuartz Finest, but it only compared the product and bare clear. I am sure you can google the video.

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Coatings that add scratch resistance

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    That is an awesome thread and seems to answer your question. No doubt a coating can help. But, keep in mind many "close to perfect" looking cars have very light marring that just can't be seen. You can look at a car all day in the sun and it looks perfect, and then go to the gas station at night under their fluorescent lights and see some marring.

Other colors just generally hide marring well, often to the point light marring is impossible to see. So, my point is, if you have a color like Jett Black, it's going to show even the finest marring coating or not. Although, a coating can help minimize it.

People say BMW Jett Black is crazy soft and scratches so easy. I don't believe that. When I was at the factory in Spartanburg SC I was at the paint area and asked the guide (who was also a worker and quite knowledgable) if all the cars paint there get the same clear coat. He said yes.

He further went on to explain, certain colors (white and red if I recall) do get a different primer coat because it can affect the appearance of the color, but all get the same clear coat.

So, my question is, if you have 2 BMW X6s, one in silver and one in Jett Black, the clear coats are equally as soft. The silver BMW marrs just as easy as the Jett Black one. The thing is, Jett Black just shows that marring to the human eye much easier. It's not "softer". The color (JB or silver) has nothing to do with how soft the clear coat is.

I'm only bringing this up because if you have a car that shows every defect (like a JB BMW) even the HARDEST coating won't eliminate your marring issue 100%, because even the finest marring will show. That being said, and as I believe the link proves with the Astin Martin, it can certainly help a lot.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I just changed my CART from Opt-Coat to GTechniq C1

Post Thanks / Like

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIwog_VYoYs]Wolfs Hard Body | Anti Scratch Test - YouTube[/video]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEvsPM2ECz8]Hard Body scratch resistance test - YouTube[/video]

Post Thanks / Like

OptiCoat underwent scratch resistance testing here: http://www.optimumcarcare.com.au/XC3...ingTesting.pdf

More information found here:
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...atings-10.html

And here:
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...atings-11.html

(Posts #'s 94-103)

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Is banging a plastic Bic lighter against the paint really a test of scratch resistance?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Is banging a plastic Bic lighter against the paint really a test of scratch resistance?
    Surely you're not referring to ASTM F-400!!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

ASTM F-400 is the test for lighters

You might have been thinking of ASTM D7027 - 05e1