autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Sandpaper ?

Post Thanks / Like

Sandpaper ?

Yesterday while cruising through the library, I looked at a book on building "model cars." In the 'painting' section they are referring to 6000, 8000 and 12000 grit sanding pads.

I've been around long enough to have seen paper increase up to 5000 grit...but 6000, 8000 and 12000?

Sooo, my question is...Has the hobby industry done something we don't know about and have developed a super fine grit sandpaper? Or, they are just adding a zero to what already exist out there (for whatever reason)?

I'd ask at a local hobby shop, but the nearest store to me is 150 miles away.

Thanx for any reply...

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Mike Phillips

Re: Sandpaper ?

The only sanding "papers" that I've ever seen in that high of grit level is a product like called

Micro-Mesh

These started out as sanding discs for furniture and evolved into sanding discs for air craft windows.

Do a search for Micro-Surface.com and you can get more info.

Just to note...

For automotive use, #3000 is pretty fine. #4000 is pretty fine. Now 3M offers #5000 and that's ultra fine.

Tonight we'll be using #1500, #3000 and #5000 on the Model A and with today's compounds, we don't need to go any higher.

Post Thanks / Like

I was talking to a client who is an engineer in the aeronautic industry and he was telling me that they use 10,000 grit papers on airplane some airplane parts. So yes it exists but it's highly specialized.

Post Thanks / Like

I was using this stuff back in the early to mid seventies. Nothing big enough to be used on a 1/1 scale car...lol...

In "Testors" all I'm seeing is up to 600 grit but I know I've used much finer sanding films than that back in the day, as I was an avid model builder as a kid.

I wish I still had all the model cars, boats, airplanes etc. that I've built and customized over the years...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post

I wish I still had all the model cars, boats, airplanes etc. that I've built and customized over the years...
    Me too...

I built model cars, large wingspan balsa gliders, tethered gas airplanes, most of the flying wing style. Lots of them...

Most were wrecked, others blown up and some sold...

Building model cars led to reading hot rod magazine which led to detailing mom and dad's cars and boats which led to here...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanx all.

Gonna have to check out the Micro-Mesh.

WOW! 10K? I think my finger tips are more coarse than that (LOL).

Just to clarify, I'm just curious about these super fine 'papers', can't say I have any use for 'em...but one never knows.

Looking at that book on model cars...Man have things changed. Talk about detailed, I was blown away.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bill...

I first heard of 10,000 grit papers about 10 years ago when it was being made overseas,
    to be considered, perhaps, as a "clay-replacement"; and for extra, extra fine scratch-removal.

Knowing how easily that even 2000-3000 grit gets clogged up...
    I always assumed they're not intended for large areas of "repair".

Here's an alternative...from an Ohio company, no less:

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Thanx Bob, another one to look at.

I DID check out "Micro-Mesh," it appears that they private label to whomever. So, I'm think they are the ones who make the 'hobby' sandpaper.

That said, looking at their conversion chart they seem to have their own numbering system. Their 8000 (for example) equates to something like 'our' 1500 or so.

Looks like my questions have been answered (for now)...gotta check out the 'true' 10K stuff and Bob's gel.

Thanx again guys...

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

These types of abrasive papers, often referred to as "cushioned abrasives" are popular in the fine furniture industry as well as in aircraft. They're constructed from the grit in, rather than the paper out, making for a more consistent scratch pattern. I've used the PolySand brand in 1800, 4000 and 8000 grits to polish the shafts on my pool cues and the 8000 actually leaves a shine on the finish. If I remember the equivalent numbers I researched, 1800 is about 500 SAE grit and 4000 is around 2500 SAE. I can speak from experience that they don't tolerate heat or pressure as much as conventional sandpaper, so it's pretty much hand use only, but the scratch pattern is much finer than conventional sandpaper. I've tried the 1800 and 4000 to sand out scratches on my ancient El Camino lacquer and they work well, albeit slowly. On modern-day tougher clearcoats, it would take you forever.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Bill,

That's exactly the term Micro-Mesh uses.

In fact, I have a little square of something like that. No idea of brand or what, just apiece of 'cushion' with a built in grit. I've had it in the 'sandpaper cabinet' for over 40 years. I 'picked it up' when I was in the service. Definitely NOT a fine grit though.

I sure wished 'they' would all stick to one table of 'grit' numbers though. Hmmm, that will be something to do today (it's raining), find a 'conversation table'.

I must admit that I truly did NOT realize there are/were so many different type of abrasives out there. Both in backings and grit selections. One just gets use to seeing the brown (regular stuff) and the black (wet-dry).

I gotta out more often (LOL).

Bill