autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: You are wasting Your Time and Money, All of You!

Quote Originally Posted by c8n View Post
    But I like wasting my time on my car....
    Me too....
    The wife says I'm a geek for cars.
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack-Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab 4x4- Summit White

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darion View Post
    Gonna enjoy that day if it comes!
    It's happened to me at least 3 times. But it's cool, because they usually get bitten by the detail bug after I've done the correction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wompasaurus View Post
    You should maintain one panel on his volt he can maintain the rest and lets see what it looks like in a few months hahahaha then he will understand
    I really like this idea. Reminds me of this one guy in the UK who did this to his sister's car to prove a point to take care of it. He Opti-coated half the hood on a white car. It took only a year to start seeing the difference. You don't have to use Opti-coat but any high UV resistant coating that lasts at least a year to prove a point.

Your brother in law might know allot about his field of work but very few people, if any know everything about everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaban View Post
    Once you realize you dont NEED to own a million products and try out everything, detailing is very simple and not expensive hobby once you got your necessities (buffer, pads, coatings, etc.). Just do the math, Opti Coat is like $70 and if all you do is your car, those $70 will last you a good 5 years to do 2-3 applications.

I think it gets out of hand when the beginners are overcome with this need that you have to have everything, every color pad, every wax on the market, and that can get costly and very unnecessary.
    Yeah but what's the fun in that? It's a hobby and it's fun trying out new products because if you're anything like me you get bored of using the same thing over and over. Plus new things come out all the time that work better than old products and make my life a lot easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KillaCam View Post
    Yeah but what's the fun in that? It's a hobby and it's fun trying out new products because if you're anything like me you get bored of using the same thing over and over. Plus new things come out all the time that work better than old products and make my life a lot easier.
    I know OP is being sarcastic, but my point was... detailing doesn't have to be a waste of money or time *hint at thread title*. I get bored of using a product that is ineffective. Yes, if I buy a product that doesn't work as well as advertised, I will look at other options, but I don't see a point in buying a ton of product just to have a variety of stuff laying around when one product can do the job. Yes, there truly are revolutionary game-changing products like iron-x, nano skin pads, Flex DA, etc...and it makes sense to get that if you are looking to use the best of the best and become a more efficient detailer, but having twenty jars of wax laying around in a mini fridge is overkill and is for collectors only.

Post Thanks / Like

Wait. He's a really smart guy and he drives a Volt? That's like an oncologist who smokes....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rayaz View Post
    Wait. He's a really smart guy and he drives a Volt? That's like an oncologist who smokes....
    Yup drives a Volt. Ya know I got to drive that car and I must say it works really well. Quick enough to get into traffic without issue, big enough for his needs and get enough electric miles for him to avoid a gas station for months. All in all its a clever car that GM needs to figure how to package into an Equinox to appeal to families.

That being said, in his mind owning that car just shows how intelligent he really is. He really likes the car, great for him, but he goes on and on about it. We bought a Denali Yukon XL some months ago and I thought he was going to fall of his seat when he found out, rolled his eyes. He has also turned super green since buying the Volt even looking at cost comparisons for Solar panels on the house and some super efficient heat and cool system.

Ya would think I don't like him after reading all this but he just perplexes me. He's all about tolerance but doesn't seem all that tolerant himself these days, last several years. He's a good guy and we do share a hobbie but I just understand him anymore.

To all that have replied too the thread thanks, its been interesting and a fun read,

PC

Post Thanks / Like

This reminds me of that southpark episode where Kyle's dad gets a prius and acts like he's above everyone, moves to san Fran and starts enjoying the smell of his own darts.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

BLUF: It's allegorical.

It's just like shining shoes in the military- the act itself is nearly pointless but it shows you who's willing to pour effort into something to make sure you get the last 1% out of everything. THAT is what matters.

If you break yourself down getting the last 1% then obviously your priorities are wrong, but if you watched 3 hours of TV and you battle buddy spent the same detailing his car, it's easy to see why this matters.

You don't have to have nice stuff to take care of it. I drive an old salvage title truck with 311,000 miles. It would not have much paint left if I didn't work hard at keeping it clean and protected, but my $2,000 truck has lasted 10 more years, still looks presentable, and draws compliments anywhere you find people that change their own oil.

Alternate logic: Paints are clearly superior today, so instead of expecting 20-30 years if maintained perfectly, why not take care of it and go for 50+ years? Call it "preserving history".

Cheers/TK

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darion View Post
    ...than his 1 year old Volt
    He bought a volt, that says a lot...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast