autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Storing car underneath carport question

Ok, I"ve taken a job that I will have a company car with. Now I can leave my 2011 Charger at home underneath the carport and keep the miles off of it. I'm leary about putting a car cover on it as it will still be pretty much exposed to the elements. Do you guys have any recommendations on what to do to keep the paint as pristine as possible under the carport? Thanks for any help!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Storing car underneath carport question

Quote Originally Posted by vdubee View Post
    Ok, I"ve taken a job that I will have a company car with. Now I can leave my 2011 Charger at home underneath the carport and keep the miles off of it. I'm leary about putting a car cover on it as it will still be pretty much exposed to the elements. Do you guys have any recommendations on what to do to keep the paint as pristine as possible under the carport? Thanks for any help!!

I wouldn't bother putting a cover on your car. Just keep is washed and you'll be fine (unless you live in a constuction zone)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure of your concern with the car cover...are you worried it will get wet and stay wet?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Flash, thanks for the reply!! Luckily, I don't live in a construction zone!! I was thinking just washing and normal paint care would be the way to go. I may look into maybe a paint sealant or coating just for some extra protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Finish said carport into a garage. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    If it gets windy where you live then I would bother with a cover unless you do a lot of research on which Cover Craft cover would be best for that situation. I say this because I had a customer use a garbage cover from Cover King and it nearly chaffed through the clear coat on the corners of the car when he left it on a wind storm. Anything rubbing on your paint in a wind storm is going to damage your paint to some degree even if it's only marring. I would really evaluate the environment where you live and decide if it would be worth it. See how the car holds up after a week or so under the carport and go from there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AG Online
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vdubee View Post
    Flash, thanks for the reply!! Luckily, I don't live in a construction zone!! I was thinking just washing and normal paint care would be the way to go. I may look into maybe a paint sealant or coating just for some extra protection.
    Car Covers are okay if you hardly ever plan on driving the car and it stays garaged (no dust/moisture!). Other then that they are worthless IMO

Quote Originally Posted by 07gtcs View Post
    Finish said carport into a garage. :-)
    My wife wants to turn mine into a master bedroom. She wants me to find somewhere else to do cars....I told her the cars were here before she was!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    ....I told her the cars were here before she was!
    LOL, and she probably said if you keep talking like that they'll be there after her too!

Post Thanks / Like

Storing car underneath carport question-dscn0274-jpg

Storing car underneath carport question-dscn0273-jpg

In about another 2-3 weeks, it will be one full year owning-using my Covercraft NOAH Cover to protect my Tahoe.

As you can see, It's parked under a Car Port, and I live here in the Southern New Mexican Desert, where triple digit temps in the summer are common, quite high winds, and dust storms galore.

This cover is doing its job admirably, and I have only one regret, and that's that I didn't buy one of these some years ago.

The NOAH Cover has proved to be a very good all around cover for this environment, is very soft on both the inside, and outside.
    It is waterproof, and for laundering, I simply hose the cover down with a garden hose, and the dirts-dusts just run right off.

On a couple of occasions, I have flipped the cover inside out, and then hosed down the inside of the cover to remove any possible dusts accumulating, and possibly causing any marring.

I have noted no marring, or damage to the paint finish so far.

This, as you can see it is a mighty large cover, and one problem I've experienced, is nowhere in this area, does a laundermat have a machine large enough to machine wash this cover.
    I've been trying to keep my eyes open for a used, but clean large plastic Rain Barrel-Drum, so I can launder the cover more effectively. With a smaller Cover, for a car, one might not have issues with commercial laundering like I am having here.

After hosing down the cover, it takes about 30-40 minutes, and it is completely dry. I only have to get on a 4' ladder to mop-sop up the water that puddles on the cover at the roof.

I did coat the cover about 5 months ago, with Aerospace 303 Fabric protectant, paying special attention to treating all Seams on the Cover. I figured that these areas (Stitching) might be the first to degrade over time.

I've been very happy with this cover, it does a darn fine job of protecting the Tahoe through Rain, Shine, and it also acts as a deterrent against "prying eyes".
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

My Tahoe is like a "Garage Queen without a Garage" :-(
    In the debate over plusses and minuses of what was the better option here for me, a Car Cover, or no Car Cover, the answer is easy, and obvious. The NOAH Car Cover without a doubt definitely gives me better all around protection than no cover at all.

Over the past two years, I've replaced a lot of parts on this SUV due to UV damage. All new Wiper Arms front and back, all new Headlight-Taillight, Parking Lamp Housings, front, and rear, and more recently, all new Black Plastic Step Pads on the Rear Step Bumper.

The costs of these replacement parts have easily exceeded the cost of the Covercraft NOAH Cover, which in my particular case came to about $330.

The Security Cable, and the Gust Guard Straps (2) lessen Billowing in high winds, and offer some security against Cover Theft. The cover itself is well fitting.

As for any worries about trapping moisture after rainstorms, this is not an issue with the NOAH Cover, as it has a waterproof, yet breathable membrane, and I've never yet seen trapped moisture between the cover, and the vehicle.

Within the past few weeks here, I think we've gotten more rainfall total than in the past 6 years. Although the Carport takes some of majority of the brunt of rain, the NOAH Cover does its job admirably keeping it dry, and clean.
    Mark