autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Embedded material in the paint.

Morning all-

I'm working on an Arctic White camaro right now and I gave it a good cleaning last night, including a clay bar. I've never seen my clay bar so contaminated, it felt like rubbing the clay over sand paper. Luckily it smoothed everything out.

However, after I inspected the paint I noticed the paint is speckled with yellow/orange spots. Tiny spots. They're obviously embedded in the paint and need to be removed so I'm needing something that will essentially dissolve the contaminants.

This car has sat both outside, inside, and was daily drove for about 15years. THe brake dust in the barrel literally sanded away the white powder coat. It's ridiculous.

Anyways, I'll get pics to better help the situation so everyone can see but in the mean time does anyone have some idea?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Embedded material in the paint.

Yup, plenty of ideas. When you get rail/brake dust sitting on the paint like that, it begins to etch/sink into the paint, so some of it is below the surface. When you clay, you shave off the top of the particle, leaving the below-surface portion (some of them may get grabbed by the clay and be pulled out rather than shaved off).

You need to chemically remove that iron. In the old days we would use an acid decon like FK Step 2 or ValuGard Step B. Today you would use something like Iron-X or one of the competing products:

Finish Kare Paint Decontamination System, auto paint cleaning system, de-contamination solution
    Finish Kare SIRR Steel, Iron Rust Remover, auto paint iron remover, ferrous metal remover, paint cleaner, paint decontamination system
    CarPro Iron X Lemon Scent, auto iron remover
    Wolfs Chemicals Deironizer Decon Gel
    Auto Finesse Iron Out Iron Remover

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Yup, plenty of ideas. When you get rail/brake dust sitting on the paint like that, it begins to etch/sink into the paint, so some of it is below the surface. When you clay, you shave off the top of the particle, leaving the below-surface portion (some of them may get grabbed by the clay and be pulled out rather than shaved off).

You need to chemically remove that iron. In the old days we would use an acid decon like FK Step 2 or ValuGard Step B. Today you would use something like Iron-X or one of the competing products:

Finish Kare Paint Decontamination System, auto paint cleaning system, de-contamination solution
    Finish Kare SIRR Steel, Iron Rust Remover, auto paint iron remover, ferrous metal remover, paint cleaner, paint decontamination system
    CarPro Iron X Lemon Scent, auto iron remover
    Wolfs Chemicals Deironizer Decon Gel
    Auto Finesse Iron Out Iron Remover
    Even though the particals are yellowish/orangeish? That could be iron? I suppose the discoloration could be from rust.

I'm always hearing about Iron-X but want to be sure to get something that will get the job done and that Kare system seems like the real deal. Any experience with it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nissenc1337 View Post
    Even though the particals are yellowish/orangeish? That could be iron? I suppose the discoloration could be from rust.

I'm always hearing about Iron-X but want to be sure to get something that will get the job done and that Kare system seems like the real deal. Any experience with it?
    Yeah, it's rusty iron. As I said, in the old days (10 years ago) you would dissolve the iron with a decon acid like the FK, today most people use the non-acid products like the others that I linked, Iron-X, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Any write ups on IronX and how to use it? I imagine I can just strip the wax and spray it on a dry surface? I've already clayed the car a week ago then applied wax the next day.

Post Thanks / Like

im sure the fk system works well but when i used it the only thing i disliked about step 2 was that there is no feedback to let you know the product is done working, where as iron-x changes color (the bleeding effect), the fk decon system worked well for me though, but i plan on switching to iron-x for future iron particle removal simply because of the positive feedback that indicates the product is reacting.

Post Thanks / Like

To use iron x just wash down your car then after washing spray iron x on the paint and let it sit for 5-7 mins. The you Can agitate with with soap and a mitt or just rinse off the surface.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Alright, just ordered Iron-X/Tar-X combo and 5 fast glass towels. Hopefully this works!

I'll pretreat some areas with TarX, wash the car with ZEP Citrus degreaser to strip all the wax, dry it, then apply Iron X and see what happens.

Any other tips to get the most out of iron X? How much should I use, more the merrier? The purple against the white paint and white wheels is going to look pretty interesting. Should I clean the wheels as I normally would before applying iron x or am I wasting product?

Post Thanks / Like

If that doesn't work, you might need to use the Finish Kare decon system on it. Sometimes there is stuff that can get into vehicles paint that is not iron.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nissenc1337 View Post
    Alright, just ordered Iron-X/Tar-X combo and 5 fast glass towels. Hopefully this works!

I'll pretreat some areas with TarX, wash the car with ZEP Citrus degreaser to strip all the wax, dry it, then apply Iron X and see what happens.

Any other tips to get the most out of iron X? How much should I use, more the merrier? The purple against the white paint and white wheels is going to look pretty interesting. Should I clean the wheels as I normally would before applying iron x or am I wasting product?
    Just like the paint wash your wheels first then after apply your ironx. You want the ironx to work on anything that doesn't come off in a wash
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast