autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Worn/Dirty Leather - Any Hope?

I'm potentially going to purchase a vehicle with seriously worn leather. From what I'm told, it's only the two front seats, but I won't see the vehicle in person until tomorrow.

I've attached a picture of the driver's seat. Based on this picture, what approach would you take when reconditioning and what do you think the outcome would be? Is there an ounce of hope left for the leather?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Worn/Dirty Leather - Any Hope?-escaladeseat-jpg  
    Last edited by Joleat; 09-22-2013 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Oops! I didn't mean to post in the Detailing University forum. Please move to the appropriate forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    ochie it looks painful but i would try use a steam cleaner to clean majority of the seat then while the material is still hot/warm agitate the small areas that you missed or could not get with the steam cleaner then condition the seat the seat will be clean but you will be able to see the worn parts of the seat that may can be repaired with leather touch up

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Worn/Dirty Leather - Any Hope?

you can't do anything with that, well seat covers.

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the responses. I passed on the vehicle not only because of the seats, but because of several other things.

I was looking for something to tow a boat on the cheap, but it's seen its fair share of abuse. The front bumper was cracked and needed replaced, the carpet and headliner were both nasty. The other seats were in nearly as bad of shape as the driver's seat. The driver's side window wouldn't roll down and it needed all four tires replaced. It sure didn't look like a 127k mile Escalade. I'm not much of a Cadillac fan and I've always heard they didn't hold their value, but I was surprised that even in excellent condition, it only books for a little over $3000. It was not near excellent condition by any stretch of the imagination.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by X6StringerX View Post
    I appreciate the responses. I passed on the vehicle not only because of the seats, but because of several other things.

I was looking for something to tow a boat on the cheap, but it's seen its fair share of abuse. The front bumper was cracked and needed replaced, the carpet and headliner were both nasty. The other seats were in nearly as bad of shape as the driver's seat. The driver's side window wouldn't roll down and it needed all four tires replaced. It sure didn't look like a 127k mile Escalade. I'm not much of a Cadillac fan and I've always heard they didn't hold their value, but I was surprised that even in excellent condition, it only books for a little over $3000. It was not near excellent condition by any stretch of the imagination.
    Sounds like a good decision but those leather seats can be saved. They would require a full cleaning some crack repair and recoloring the leather. A lot of work for sure.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Katskinz